Beginners synth diy

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Beginners synth diy

Post by msegarra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Hey guys just wanted to ask for some advice about my synth diy setup, I had a stroke in 2017 which left me hemiparetic so my left side is affected and doesn’t work great ( although insurance gave me a robotic arm ! I was hoping i could get some general pointers on what else I need to do proper diy modules so far I have a JBC solder feeder gun which allows me to solder using just my right hand , and a quad hands holders, every type of snips imaginable and a lot of desoldering braid coming in I just finished my first module the 4ms passive multiple
I’m wondering if my work surface is okay? It’s drawer liner from harbor freight I need a better cleaning sponge for my solder gun for sure too
2A785689-AF81-4DE2-BD94-79D60A4F3296.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by msegarra on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Beginners synth diy

Post by msegarra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:43 pm

D98BEF92-A2E9-4429-8EC4-4B9810DD300E.jpeg
This is my first kit that works lol
Oops i can’t figure out why it’s upside down sorry!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:09 pm

I would ditch the drawer liner for one of these : you can’t melt it or burn it, very handy

For cleaning your iron, rather than a sponge use something like this (you might find it cheaper if you dig around, this was just the first link to come up): a wet sponge will cool the tip off, which when done repeatedly is very bad for it - skimp on this and it’ll cost you in replacement tips down the road, apparently.

You might want a fume sucker too, although if you already have good ventilation you might be ok without: you can definitely find these cheaper btw

One of these IC pin straighteners are a good idea https://www.jameco.com/z/ICS-01-R-IC-Pi ... rnEALw_wcB

Ditto these IC pullers (they come in a bunch of different forms, some very complex. This is a cheap and simple one)

I would also get some liquid no-clean flux - at the very least you’ll probably want to put some on your desoldering braid to help it do its job.

Hope that helps!
It began as a mistake.

msegarra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msegarra » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm

Wow thanks that’s a good amount of things for me to look into!

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Not sure whether it's cheaper (or better, or different in any way really), but I got a silicone pastry mat from the local kitchenware store.

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:38 am

You might want a fume sucker too, although if you already have good ventilation you might be ok without
Well there is another benefit to a smoke sucker (I use an old computer fan on an arm for this): your body heat makes the air rise along your body which pulls the smoke away from the working area and have it pass your nose/face.

acinonyx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acinonyx » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:32 am

Welcome back into synth DIY!

You will enjoy reading the following guides. This is what I did and I customized my purchases according to my needs and my wallet.

For example, you can get a new digital bench power supply like the Rigol DP832 or a used analog rock solid HP 6236B. Both are recommended from other members. Another option for testing freshly built modules is to use a eurorack power supply but I suppose you already know that.

In the end, I got the HP in order to see how it goes and I'll decide later if I need digital displays or more features. So, I saved something like 350$ and currently there is no reason for something else.

Synth DIY setup guides:

https://northcoastsynthesis.com/news/to ... with-sdiy/

https://aisynthesis.com/diy-electronics-tools-you-need/

https://tsyklon.com/diy-building-resources/

Good luck and have fun!
"Eureka, Archimedes of Syracuse"

Pando
Common Wiggler

Post by Pando » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:44 am

msegarra wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:42 pm
Hey guys just wanted to ask for some advice about my synth diy setup, I had a stroke in 2017 which left me hemiparetic so my left side is affected and doesn’t work great ( although insurance gave me a robotic arm ! I was hoping i could get some general pointers on what else I need to do proper diy modules so far I have a JBC solder feeder gun which allows me to solder using just my right hand , and a quad hands holders, every type of snips imaginable and a lot of desoldering braid coming in I just finished my first module the 4ms passive multiple
I’m wondering if my work surface is okay? It’s drawer liner from harbor freight I need a better cleaning sponge for my solder gun for sure too
2A785689-AF81-4DE2-BD94-79D60A4F3296.jpeg
Might be better to get the desk down from the ceiling but otherwise its ok!

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ayab » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:03 am

Great to see that you have built your first module, the 4ms mult. Good choice and if you can do that you have many possibilities. (Obvious I know but you can check it by plugging patch cables into it and testing continuity by touching the corresponding tips with your dmm leads). Get a dmm if you don't have one. I use a super cheap maplin (radioshack) one which is all you need for testing continuity and resistors.

I always test all resistors with the dmm to make sure (am getting better at the colour code but still). It always helps prevent a long and frustrating troubleshoot.

I don't think you really need a bench power supply at this stage - I firstly use two 9v batteries connected to give +9v/-9v and 0v = to make sure there is no overheating/smoke.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Dual-V ... batteries/

Then I test properly using a separate mini euro supply: (Or just plug into your eurorack supply with nothing else plugged in to start with and then plug in the most basic modules needed to test the new module.)

Got a pcb from here:- http://www.razmasynth.com/io/MiniPower.html

Tip cleaner and matt and extractor are all really good recommendations. One other thing you will find useful is a magnifier with a light. Some people prefer the head band magnifiers - probably better but I got one with the focus a bit too close. So I got a desk lamp like one (type a nail decorator bar place uses). This is really good for checking for solder shorts etc..

One more tip. Take a photo of the pcb silkscreen side if you don't already have one for reference - then you will know the names/values underneath the parts you put in.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Ayab wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:03 am
I always test all resistors with the dmm to make sure (am getting better at the colour code but still). It always helps prevent a long and frustrating troubleshoot.

One more tip. Take a photo of the pcb silkscreen side if you don't already have one for reference - then you will know the names/values underneath the parts you put in.
These are both good advice. Use your phone to take pics after assembly too. You will spot things in a picture that you miss looking at the board directly. And not just because of size. There's a different mindset when you look at the thing, compared to looking at the photos of the thing you built.

There's really no good reason not to get one of the super inexpensive general component testers -9V battery, display, single test pushbutton- that can check R's, C's transistors, coils, etc. Plug a couple hookup wires or dupont patch leads into the ZIF socket and test all your R's and C's quickly. You can also use ZIF as intended to check other components.

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ayab » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 am

Yes I did buy one of those bare board super cheap component testers and it is really good - works with many transistors (confirms the pin out of the legs too), resistors, capacitors and diodes I've tried. Definitely a really useful bit of kit. Btw I am going to use your idea of using two wires for quick testing instead of inserting components (r's d's and c's) into the zif each time 8-)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000288 ... hweb201603_

Return to “Music Tech DIY”