Yamaha CS10 sub-osc

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Yamaha CS10 sub-osc

Post by kragg » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:16 am

Hello,
The Yamaha CS10 is a nice little single oscillator synth.
Yusynth has several mods for it on his website, and i have converted his sub-osc mod schematic into a veroboard layout. I am sharing it, if anyone is interested :
https://yusynth.net/gear/CS10_fr.html

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Yamaha CS10 sub-osc

Post by KSS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Nice.
Built and confirmed layout?

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:58 am

Not yet, but i submitted it to Yves Usson, who told me that it should be ok.
I should be building it in a couple days.

butter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by butter » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:20 am

Nice! Thanks!

Are you doing any of the other mods while you are at it? On the Yves' site the v/oct out(at least I think thats what it is lol) and the pre-amp for example? There are also the "Don Solaris" mods for the CS15... mostly about serialising the filters, so not applicable to the 10, but the LFO mod might be worth a look. (I have the pdf somewhere if google doesn't) and some fairly easy looking thing to get filter cv inputs on the cs5 that might be worth a check if they apply.
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... 5.mods.txt

I have a bunch of CSs in various states of disrepair that I hope to restore/mod/frankenstein at some point, so always interested in extra resources... Hmmm. hadn't really thought about that pre-amp circuit much before, but now thinking it might be interesting to see if that could be bumped a bit more to output at modular levels...?

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:19 am

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply (for some reason, Muff doesn't send me notifications any more since a couple months).
Are you doing any of the other mods while you are at it?
Well, I already made a couple mods two years ago : The output mod and the resonance mod.
- Imho, the output mod is mandatory. Without it, the CS10 output is too weak, and if you try to boost it afterwards, you get a bit of hum or noise. I replaced the power supply electrolytics capacitors and made the preamp veroboard, and nonw it sounds great, with an output level on par with other synths.
- I have also added a switch for enhanced resonance. The resonance mod is not a night & day difference. It's good, it helps when you want a bit more bite on certain sounds, but i must say that i like the CS10 for its own sound, so most of the time i am using the filter in its original state.
here are also the "Don Solaris" mods for the CS15... mostly about serialising the filters, so not applicable to the 10, but the LFO mod might be worth a look. (I have the pdf somewhere if google doesn't) and some fairly easy looking thing to get filter cv inputs on the cs5 that might be worth a check if they apply.
Well, a sub-octave is something i miss quite a lot on the CS10, so now that i am more confident in my skills i will be doing it this weekend, but the LFO sounds great as it is to me (it allows for both slow ad very fast modulation), and I have no use for a filter CV input on this synth, so I think it will be the only other mod i will be doing.

One exception might be converting the CV/Hertz i,put to CV/gate, but i'm not even sure...

The CS15 is a very insteresting synth, with a great sound and a few tricks up its sleeve. I have played it live on stage and it is a joy to use.

By the way, here is a little picture to help opening the CS10 (and not messing with the screws) :

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm

I just noticed a mistake in the 4th row :the resistor should be 4.7K (and not 47K).
I will update the layout once the veroboard will be installed in the synth and working fine.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 pm

kragg wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:19 am
Sorry for the late reply (for some reason, Muff doesn't send me notifications any more since a couple months).
Since MW was migrated to the new forum software, you might want ot re-visit your notification settings. They may not have pulled through the transition the same as before.

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:21 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 pm
kragg wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:19 am
Since MW was migrated to the new forum software, you might want ot re-visit your notification settings. They may not have pulled through the transition the same as before.
Could it be as simple as that :oops:
Thanks, KSS !

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:35 pm

2nd error found : a link is missing between CD4013's pin 2 & 11.
I will post a new layout.

makhho
Common Wiggler

Post by makhho » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 pm

butter wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:20 am
Nice! Thanks!

Are you doing any of the other mods while you are at it? On the Yves' site the v/oct out(at least I think thats what it is lol) and the pre-amp for example? There are also the "Don Solaris" mods for the CS15... mostly about serialising the filters, so not applicable to the 10, but the LFO mod might be worth a look. (I have the pdf somewhere if google doesn't) and some fairly easy looking thing to get filter cv inputs on the cs5 that might be worth a check if they apply.
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... 5.mods.txt

I have a bunch of CSs in various states of disrepair that I hope to restore/mod/frankenstein at some point, so always interested in extra resources... Hmmm. hadn't really thought about that pre-amp circuit much before, but now thinking it might be interesting to see if that could be bumped a bit more to output at modular levels...?

Interested in doing some of these mods to my CS15.
Do you know if the CS5 CV filter control mod you've linked to applies to the CS15? There aren't any images, so it's a bit a hard to follow text descriptions of the tap point locations without opening up a CS5.

butter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by butter » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:39 am

I'd be curious to know too. I can't really see them being drastically different circuits, just matching the locations. The service manuals for these are pretty special too, I can't get to my 5's right now, but imagine the info is in here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bawbag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bawbag » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:19 am

Here's the Don Solaris PDF for anyone interested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”