hardware VS dust (removing)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

flab
Veteran Wiggler

hardware VS dust (removing)

Post by flab » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:18 am

Hi all,

For few months time, my system was exposed to multilayers of dust due to construction work that was happening close by the studio space (my bad i was supposed to wrap the whole thing better), I haven't tweaked any knobs or sliders etc or switched it on.

Here to discuss some ways of dust removing and potentially avoiding replacing pots in a 1000hp system (of the worst came to worst).

air Compressor + air gun
Brush
Hoover
maybe sth that is not that obvious
what are you doing in general?

best

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: hardware VS dust (removing)

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:26 am

you need an air filtration system. vacuum everything with the filter picking up the floaters. then star using fans. then get in with compressed air. closer and closer every pass. you want to move the dust into the air filter without blowing the dust directly into the pots and jacks. after that should wipe everything down with deionized or distilled water and a moist cloth or lint free paper product such as kim wipes. after that I would unrack everything and use compressed air in another room. this is the only way to get the dust out after it has entered the jack. if you do this without unracking then the dust will not be captured, it will be moved to other modules in the case ad infinitum.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Definitely vacuum first. make a tiny sucker by taping a plastic straw in a vac crevice tool. Use this at each unsealed pot-slider that has an opening. This tiny sucker tool is used after you've done what you can with brush and normal crevice tools. It can also be helpful to use a brush with the vacuum nozzle close by, set up to both catch and help the brush remove the dirt. A 2nd person helping here can be a good thing.
Beware static from dust -air flow. Consider humidifier if air is dry. Or wait for better weather.
After vacuum, alcohol wash.

PCBs are routinely washed with water and detergent during manufacture. Unsealed components-parts added after washing. This is probably your best bet, but also the most labor and resource intensive by far. Try the above first.

DO NOT use a 'miracle' spray. You know the ones. It won't give lasting results, and will probably do damage.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:04 pm

KSS wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 pm
DO NOT use a 'miracle' spray. You know the ones. It won't give lasting results, and will probably do damage.
for those that don't know. this is what KSS is talking about. it destroys resistive elements in potentiometers and trimmers because people can't tell the difference between F5 and D5.

www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contac ... 00006LVEU/

flab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flab » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:29 am

hiya,

thanks for the input. I will stay away from that miracle spray :foul: ,
hoover and compressed air, step by step, it is then

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:47 am

KSS wrote:
Definitely vacuum first. make a tiny sucker by taping a plastic straw in a vac crevice tool.
Or better yet, use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHM9LNW

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:56 am

I explicitly used 'miracle spray' rather than calling it out directly because there are others you will also see in online forums. WD-40 being one popular example. Electrical contact spray is another, which will kill many pots instantly on.. wait for it.. contact. Bottom line is that you almost never get the results promised or expected from using a shot of some spray into a pot or slider.

Contact spray *can* be helpful when used for its intended purpose. Contacts. Switches and some connectors. Same caveat applies of watching out for overspray effects, and being wary of leaving wet spray in connector or switch bodies.

Be really careful with the compressed air. Only use it once thngs are already clean or pretty clean. FWIW, you can tke the TinySucker tool you made for the vac and use it on the blow side that some vacuums have. Think of compressed air as a way to get things dry more than as a way to get things clean.
Last edited by KSS on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:58 am

That's a nice tool to use *also*, rather than *instead*.
luchog wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:47 am
KSS wrote:
Definitely vacuum first. make a tiny sucker by taping a plastic straw in a vac crevice tool.
Or better yet, use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHM9LNW

flab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flab » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 am

Well i guess alcohol was will not make my PP and trimmers very happy, and if i was it with distilled water (sth that i normally do after soldering all the components because of the solder i use) the hardware parts are not going to be happy. So i guess vacuum and compressed air with a brush. But, do ou people have suggestions to avoid static electricity? thanks in advance

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:14 pm

flab wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 am
Well i guess alcohol was will not make my PP and trimmers very happy, and if i was it with distilled water (sth that i normally do after soldering all the components because of the solder i use) the hardware parts are not going to be happy. So i guess vacuum and compressed air with a brush. But, do ou people have suggestions to avoid static electricity? thanks in advance
Pics would be useful to see exactly which parts *might* present a concern. Most trims handle both water and alcohol just fine, and water is only a problem with hardware if you don't get it dry. Don't know what you mean by "PP"? Panel Pots?

Show us the actual problem and we can give better answers.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:33 pm

flab wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 am
avoid static electricity? thanks in advance
controlled humidity and personal grounding. a grounded mat for the bench also helps. check the resistance of your ground strap with a meter. not all grounding straps are the same. there are 3 categories. insulated, dissipative, conductive. figure out what works best and buy that intentionally, not randomly. you can also get gloves in every resistance level.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”