EasyEDA and Silkscreens

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

EasyEDA and Silkscreens

Post by Studioalethea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:28 pm

Hello CadFriends!

I am pretty new to PCB design, so in quarantine I have been working on a prototyping board design.

I want to silk an image that in the Gerber, the silkscreen covers the plated holes. Obviously, it's NOT ideal to make a silkscreen that overlays the holes or exposed copper traces BUT, the time it would take to punch out all of that from the image or filled rectangles would be gigantic -- not to mention I don't know how to do it.

I have had trouble getting the answer from the JLCPCB rep and specific info from forums, so I've come here.

Does anyone have an example of a filled in silkscreen that in the Gerber file covered up the plated holes but in actual practice/production, the silkscreen layers behind the plates/exposed copper traces.

Thanks!

Synthiq
Veteran Wiggler

Re: EasyEDA and Silkscreens

Post by Synthiq » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:53 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but it is possible EasyEDA automatically removes the silkscreen where there is an opening in the solder mask before generating the Gerber. You can look at the generated Gerber files to see if this is the case.

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:02 pm

Synthiq wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:53 pm
I don't know the answer to your question, but it is possible EasyEDA automatically removes the silkscreen where there is an opening in the solder mask before generating the Gerber. You can look at the generated Gerber files to see if this is the case.
The Gerber definitely shows it covered BUT in EasyEDA, the editor itself shows that the plates are over the silkscreen BUT the image preview (both photo and 3D) shows it covered :despair:

Synthiq
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Synthiq » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm

I use KiCad and it has an option "Exclude pads from silkscreen" so maybe you can check if EasyEDA has a similar option.

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Synthiq wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm
I use KiCad and it has an option "Exclude pads from silkscreen" so maybe you can check if EasyEDA has a similar option.
I'm not seeing anything like that in EasyEDA. Also having the same issue ordering from PCBWay of not getting a clear answer either way.

I'm trying to see if I can import the Gerber file into KiCad and export with the option you described, but it's not very intuitive.

Synthiq
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Synthiq » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 pm

EasyEDA has forum for users so maybe you can ask there if they can help you as well.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 pm

If it's an obvious problem many if not most PCB fabs will automatically clear the screen from the pads for you. Sometimes when you don't want them to.

It's not in their best interest to send you something with such an obvious mistake. But that doesn't mean they will do it. Just that they usually do. And almost everybody does a Mfg. review before production, and it will be brought up to you then. Whether you have to pay extra for them to fix it is another issue entirely.

Best to call it out on the order in a comment. They're more likely to respond to an actual order than a whatif on a presumably small potential order.

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:52 pm

KSS wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 pm
If it's an obvious problem many if not most PCB fabs will automatically clear the screen from the pads for you. Sometimes when you don't want them to.

It's not in their best interest to send you something with such an obvious mistake. But that doesn't mean they will do it. Just that they usually do. And almost everybody does a Mfg. review before production, and it will be brought up to you then. Whether you have to pay extra for them to fix it is another issue entirely.

Best to call it out on the order in a comment. They're more likely to respond to an actual order than a whatif on a presumably small potential order.
I have inquired with BOTH PCBWay and JLCPCB with an order pending with both. The problem is the language barrier. It is not clear whether they understand what I'm asking, and it's unclear what they are answering.

The first inquiry was answered as this: "Form your gerber file,I think there won't be covered for the plated holes."

My Gerber file definitely has the silkscreen covering the plated holes, so I followed up, getting the response:

"Per checking and shows as your gerber as below, seems like all with PTH except the NPTH you have designed, we will follow your gerber to move on, so customer need to make sure what they want has been designed on gerber."

AGAIN, this didn't seem to understand that I know TECHNICALLY my Gerber is wrong.

The last one was: "Thanks for clarification, so if you were suspected your design, could you confirm on your side then advise back as we move on as customer's gerber only, kindly understanding. Let us know if ok to proceed Y1 as current gerber design, thanks."

PCBWay wanted to charge twice as much as JLCPCB, and their CSR told me to just place the order and "If there's a problem the sales engineer will contact you."

But I don't wanna roll those dice...

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 am

Synthiq wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 pm
EasyEDA has forum for users so maybe you can ask there if they can help you as well.
Have now posted there, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:13 am

Studioalethea wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:28 pm
Hello CadFriends!

I am pretty new to PCB design, so in quarantine I have been working on a prototyping board design.

I want to silk an image that in the Gerber, the silkscreen covers the plated holes. Obviously, it's NOT ideal to make a silkscreen that overlays the holes or exposed copper traces BUT, the time it would take to punch out all of that from the image or filled rectangles would be gigantic -- not to mention I don't know how to do it.

I have had trouble getting the answer from the JLCPCB rep and specific info from forums, so I've come here.

Does anyone have an example of a filled in silkscreen that in the Gerber file covered up the plated holes but in actual practice/production, the silkscreen layers behind the plates/exposed copper traces.

Thanks!
If I'm understanding you correctly, your footprint on the pcb isn't ideal, and has silkscreen in the wrong place? You can edit the footprints in EasyEDA, or build them from scratch (I actually find that easier.) The worst part of the footprint edit is that you have to define your pads in a list of XY cartesian plane coordinates, which can be rough if you forgot your trig and you want curves. In the editor, it is easy to add or delete the silkscreen.

Also, you can select parts of the footprints individually, and move/edit them on the pcb. Often, if you are using a shoddy footprint, the designer has not moved the silkscreen layer for the part designation or name, and it appears across the pad. If you select the part, a panel on the right of the screen shows the attributes, and you can turn on and off some of those parts of the footprint model.
Also, when you are in schematic mode, you can select different premade footprints for your schematic symbol. Select the part you want to change (it turns red when selected) and go to the lower right. There is a box that says "package," and it takes you to a screen where you can search for and select packages. I find it pretty useful, for instance if I'm remote mounting a pot, I can put it in the schematic as a pot, but make the package a 3 pin header. Then when I create the PCB, it puts it in as a header...just make sure the pins are numbered correctly, and that can be edited on the fly as well.

Also, if you've already created the pcb and you make these changes, you can go to the tools menu and hit update -->update all, and it will use the new schematic info to update the pcb file.

Creating or editing a footprint is easy. Go to New -->PCB Lib, and draw your footprint, or import one from the ones in the available libraries.

Hope that helps
----------------------

Flounderguts

grm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grm » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:10 pm

Studioalethea wrote:
Hello CadFriends!

Thanks!
i have been ordering several PCB form JLCPCB with the silkscreen covering the holes and pads, it has always been produced the right way. only once i have been asked to check my design, but as it has been done before, just in a different color, i have told them do as they did before, it was perfect as it was. then i only needed to give the previous production code...

i have used EAGLE for the design, by the way.

hope all goes well.

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 am

grm wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:10 pm
Studioalethea wrote:
Hello CadFriends!

Thanks!
i have been ordering several PCB form JLCPCB with the silkscreen covering the holes and pads, it has always been produced the right way. only once i have been asked to check my design, but as it has been done before, just in a different color, i have told them do as they did before, it was perfect as it was. then i only needed to give the previous production code...

i have used EAGLE for the design, by the way.

hope all goes well.
We'll see! I finally got what I thought was the right answer, and it's in shipment. *crosses fingers*

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Turned out great friends!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Troubleshooter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Troubleshooter » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 am

Do not thrust the EasyEDA preview. Soldermask acts as primer for the Silksscreen. So silkcreen will not be printed on metal surfaces.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm

Those look more like cheese graters or colanders than pcbs!
----------------------

Flounderguts

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:53 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm
Those look more like cheese graters or colanders than pcbs!
Makin that electronic mac n cheeeeez!

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 pm

I'm assuming this is some kind of breadboard type pcb? Or the product of a deranged mind? :)
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 pm

djs wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 pm
I'm assuming this is some kind of breadboard type pcb? Or the product of a deranged mind? :)
Both! And, yes. I have a couple designs in mind. I was getting annoyed with constantly configuring the same busses with +12/-12v/Ground everywhere I wanted it. I was using breadboard based PCBs from BPS and while I liked the logic, I hated having to spend an hour on each board rigging up the same things that I do on every circuit -- including the bypass caps. I also wanted a better way to mount my PCBs to the panels via right angle Alpha pots. This model separates and the right side becomes a sort of stacked shield onto the lower board (see below).

This is what I have so far. I am working on the REV2 of it that will enable more space accommodation for larger bypass caps as well as a 90-degree 8x2 header to pop out the top, since I am beginning to experiment with normalized connections through the CV and Gate pins of the busboard.

I am working on designs for two more prototyping schemes: one is a shallower design for smaller circuits that also has 90-degree jack accommodation on the lower half of the panel mount section. And then an additional design for stacking the two boards as a control and circuit board for mounting beneath 12HP skiffable designs.

Studioalethea
Common Wiggler

Post by Studioalethea » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Studioalethea wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 pm
djs wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Both! And, yes. I have a couple designs in mind. I was getting annoyed with constantly configuring the same busses with +12/-12v/Ground everywhere I wanted it. I was using breadboard based PCBs from BPS and while I liked the logic, I hated having to spend an hour on each board rigging up the same things that I do on every circuit -- including the bypass caps. I also wanted a better way to mount my PCBs to the panels via right angle Alpha pots. This model separates and the right side becomes a sort of stacked shield onto the lower board (see below).

This is what I have so far. I am working on the REV2 of it that will enable more space accommodation for larger bypass caps as well as a 90-degree 8x2 header to pop out the top, since I am beginning to experiment with normalized connections through the CV and Gate pins of the busboard.

I am working on designs for two more prototyping schemes: one is a shallower design for smaller circuits that also has 90-degree jack accommodation on the lower half of the panel mount section. And then an additional design for stacking the two boards as a control and circuit board for mounting beneath 12HP skiffable designs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”