The Apprehension Engine.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

The Apprehension Engine.

Post by wuff_miggler » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:04 am

has anyone ever DIy'd one of these bad boys:

I can see by looking, it's a combination of:

*Hurdy Gurdy
*Lap Steel Guitar
*Free resonating bars, steel scraps
*Large Reverb tank.

so - from a DIY perspective - wood work wise it looks pretty doable... But i'd like to know what specifics or gotcha's exist makig something like this.

Specifically - how many contact mics will be required and of what quality....a Korg contact clip on arrived in the post yesterday and it's only use will be for running into modular for envelope generation - it sounds aweful...

Also - soundholes/resonating chambers....how many and where...

Interested if any wigglers have attempted :D

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Apprehension Engine.

Post by appliancide » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:03 am

There's a pretty detailed build series on the youtube:

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:09 pm

save money by "scalvaging" <-nice portmanteau 8-)

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Thanks appliancide! I dont know why but i thought the diy build i saw looked really crappy - that said - i was in a rush and at work - gonna watch these vids now!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:37 am

yes many people have done it. this goes wayyyy back to early noise musicians. a long and controversial question is who did it first? if you hang out on noise forums you will see the underwhelming response to this person's creation. I have seen him called a poser or copycat or the only noise musician to get mainstream attention when he isn't even the most creative or prolific. my opinion is that he is just another working man who does sound design for film or games etc.. he is just like the rest of us. he doesn't deserve the hate. I don't think he is trying to put out a harsh noise or power electronics album so there is no threat to anyone's ego as far as I can tell. there is a whole world to explore. if you have the time.

https://www.noisewiki.com/wiki/index.ph ... ise_Forums
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:19 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:37 am
yes many people have done it. this goes wayyyy back to early noise musicians. a long and controversial question is who did it first? if you hang out on noise forums you will see the underwhelming response to this person's creation. I have seen him called a poser or copycat or the only noise musician to get mainstream attention when he isn't even the most creative or prolific. my opinion is that he is just another working man who does sound design for film or games etc.. he is just like the rest of us. he doesn't deserve the hate. I don't think he is trying to put out a harsh noise or power electronics album so there is no threat to anyone's ego as far as I can tell. there is a whole world to explore. if you have the time.

https://www.noisewiki.com/wiki/index.ph ... ise_Forums
funny you mention noise - i actually came to this from looking into Bart Hopkin, and watching several of his youtube clips demonstrating instruments which were detailed in his long out of print "Experimental Musical Instruments" magazine.

this instrument above is a fucking amazing idea...the video made me laugh harder than it should, as one commenter says - it could be amended to be a much better instrument.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:56 pm

they are all related. one person's noise is another's music. I think it is great that people laugh when checking this stuff out. the alternative is to get no response or to be super serious and pretentious all the time. that would be a sad stuffy world where nothing is ever good enough. I did a noise track once where I pretended to be someone who hates noise music. the track contains me yelling at myself on an anti noise music rant. I called my music horrible shit. screaming "shut that shit off! it sounds like shit! what the fuck is that noise!". I probably never had more fun than that recording session because at that moment the studio owner came into room C and was about to say something till he realized that I already said it! out smarted everyone and used it as fuel to feed it back to them as entertainment. the rage he felt turned to pitty. then laughter. he also grew his respect for the art form a little bit since it was no longer a one dimensional repulsive useless noise. it became art. I made a connection with the audience. I felt really free. practicing scales is really boring. we hold ourselves to high standards sometimes as guitar players. its good to go after emotions instead of athletic fingers trying to dominate other guitar players by being better. example: dream theater.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

wuff_miggler
Common Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:16 pm

funny story! :D

the music world takes itself way too seriously.
i have friends that love academic dsp/modern classical/conceptual electronic.

It's really annoying to me that there were fucking visionaries creating this stuff in the late 90s releasing music on vinyl with black and white artwork which gets no love/recognition...except by hardcore breakcore/speedcore nerds. I used to be super into venetian snares older rough breakcore stuff, and only just really recently have been getting into his back catalogue - i am absolutely astounded at his talent as a composer. And because he doesnt take himself very seriously...you know the rest...

Return to “Music Tech DIY”