Need to find a certain potentiometer...

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Need to find a certain potentiometer...

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Anyone ever seen a panel mount version of this?

Hoping to find B50K, B500K, B750K, and B5M
----------------------

Flounderguts

selfdestroyer
Common Wiggler

Re: Need to find a certain potentiometer...

Post by selfdestroyer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:47 pm

I have never seen the tall plastic trimmers with a nut.. your best bet is the T-18 pot from Thonk with the micro knobs.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm- ... tical-t18/
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/micro-knobs/
My DIY / Music Blog They Remain Silent

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by guest » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:57 pm

never seen them either, these are the closest ive seen:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?q ... nHiQ%3D%3D

they do make them, though, but it would probably be a special order. might be easier to just make a small pcb that can fasten to the front panel.
openmusiclabs.com

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Panel mount, no, but yeah most of the pot makers (Alpha, etc..) will make their plastic shaft pots with or without the threaded bushing (like the example in guest's link). You can always solder wires to the solder legs and use it as a panel mount pot though.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:58 pm

Not with a nut. But Song Huei do make a 9mm shaft knob pot with an extended bushing AKA collar which, when used with an appropriate hole in the panel, serves to support the pot shaft nearly all the way to the panel's top surface. In practice with good design and assembly standards, this does in fact come close to the feel of a pot with panel nut.
The panel lut extends farther up the pot shaft, so mere geometry means the collar cannot be equal to the nut. But that's less about the nut than the geometry.

P/N R0903N Described as Vertical type. Single unit with collar.

The only reason we don't see these more often is that poor practice in board populating and assembly makes the collar a liability instead of an asset. If one assembles the panel to PCB before soldering the pots -and if the PCB has enough pad hole compliance to allow pots shifting to accomodate the panel, the collars are a great improvement in this style use. Pots constrained by snug panel holes rather than pots constrained by PCB and tolerances accomodated with enlarged panel holes.

edit: note that this pot is available with the knob-style shaft. The drawing shows the D-shaft, but T18 and others are available too. /edit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KSS on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:50 am

order 10,000 units. probably super cheap too. you could keep 100 and sell the other 9900 to thonk or pusherman
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:50 am
order 10,000 units. probably super cheap too. you could keep 100 and sell the other 9900 to thonk or pusherman
Don't think I haven't considered it! If I thought people would want the weird stuff *I* want, I'd stock up on funky hard-to-find parts and sell them on a website.

Like the rgb tact switches that 4MS uses, this type of tall pot, and 1p8t panel mount slide switches with tall slides! Or beautiful, smooth joysticks with swappable potentiometers and 3 axis control. And tall thumbwheel pots in audio grades. The list goes on...
----------------------

Flounderguts

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Erthenvar closing has left a definite hole in the marketplace. One of the things they sold were these tall shaft knob pots . Not the collar kind. And jacks and nuts. They did tiles too, but you ouldn;t have to have those.

At any rate, this hole will fill over time as someone or many step in. The time is ripe for a west coast USA Erthenvar replacement. East coast might work too, but Synthcube is already there.
--------------------------------------------------
Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:15 pm
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:50 am
Don't think I haven't considered it! If I thought people would want the weird stuff *I* want, I'd stock up on funky hard-to-find parts and sell them on a website.

Like the rgb tact switches that 4MS uses, this type of tall pot, and 1p8t panel mount slide switches with tall slides! Or beautiful, smooth joysticks with swappable potentiometers and 3 axis control. And tall thumbwheel pots in audio grades. The list goes on...

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 pm

I tried to buy him. I sent a proposal asking for the price and the valuation of the company. got no reply. he makes ecigs for his employer. he is no longer self employed. his mom also worked for him. pulp logic was a partner in the early days of earthenvar. without pulp or nick, it would just be mom. you can't expect her to do all the work.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:04 pm

I actually hunted him down on LinkedIn, and got him in a text conversation. As soon as I mentioned the possibility of buying Erthenvar, he ghosted the conversation.

Not "oh hey, no I'm not interested in selling, " just *poof* gone.

I might try to track down some of his suppliers...
----------------------

Flounderguts

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:22 pm

Small bear sells the 25 and 15mm Song Huei pots in all sorts of values. Bourns also makes them (and mouser stocks them). I like the bourns a little better but they dont paint the pointer. 750 and 5M values, you're dreaming though. If you plan on making more than one of something, go to a fab and get them to make whatever you want.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:21 pm

Please contact us if you are interested in purchasing the company.
https://erthenvar.myshopify.com/blogs/n ... f-the-road

still up. he is still alive. he just won't talk about it. not sure if he changed his mind or maybe he is being selective who he sells to. I can get suppliers for everything. I could even develop modules that are similar. but that is not the point. when you buy a company you buy the vendor list and the product designs. that is what makes his company valuable. somewhere between $3,000 and $30,000 depending on who is talking and how desperate they are.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”