Serge/Ian Fritz 4U Panel PSU question

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Serge/Ian Fritz 4U Panel PSU question

Post by gnome666 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:58 pm

I posted this over in the Serge/Buchla/EMS Forum, but figured some folk here might have some good input too....

I'm lucky to have recently acquired a set of Ian Fritz/Uglysound 4u TimberTantrum and Chaos panels. I also inherited the DIY PSU that I'm assuming was built by the original builder (seller was not first owner or original DIY'er).

The PSU is kinda huge and noisey...so I was wondering if I would be able to plug the Fritz panels into my Konstant Lab PSU powering my other Serge panels. I looked through the old build threads and I think I saw that the Uglysound/Fritz panels needed +/- 12V, which I believe is what the Konstant lab PSU supplies.

My question regards wiring, as I am totally ignorant when it comes to these things...The Fritz panels have 4 pin molex connectors but only 3 wires (red black and white), and the Konstant Lab PSU takes Neutric 4 pin XLR. So, without a voltmeter, how do I find out which of the three wires coming from the Fritz panels need to be wired to which corresponding male XLR pin (since there are 4)? I've looked at the pinout diagram pictures for the neutrik XLR connectors, but I'm looking for suggestions on how I can make sure I'm wiring everything correctly.....

thanks in advance for the help and the handholding

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Serge/Ian Fritz 4U Panel PSU question

Post by ashleym » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm

Just buy a voltmeter.

There might be labelling on the circuit boards. A couple of photos might help. But really, just get a meter.

gnome666
Common Wiggler

Re: Serge/Ian Fritz 4U Panel PSU question

Post by gnome666 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:37 pm

ashleym wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm
Just buy a voltmeter.

There might be labelling on the circuit boards. A couple of photos might help. But really, just get a meter.
Thinking thats what I'll do. Will post pictures eventually. ;)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”