CGS514

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Re: CGS514

Post by Revok » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:57 pm

The 2k2 is maybe a typo.
Here's the current BOM with no 2k2 resisitor. https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/cgs ... -cgs29.pdf
Here's the cached version with the 2k2. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:35 am

tardishead wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm
I’ve been building CGS stuff for 20 years
Never had any issues with Ken’s stuff mainly because of the included schematic even though a lot of people moan about CGS stuff
I bought a batch of about 10 new PCBs from Elby to see that they had all changed to “better” versions and none of the schematics were included. I used to love Ken’s documentation, the manner in which he explained the circuits and also supplied multiple possible wiring diagrams. I learnt a lot
Had all kinds of problems with new Elby stuff
Build guides and BOMs had loads of missing information which could have easily been resolved with a schematic. All the new Elby stuff does not support any other format apart from 4u “serge” style and only 12v even though it all works with 15v. I wrote to complain about my grievances and I got a really dismissive reply. A lot of changes and amendments to documents were from my beta testing.
It took me a while to get my head around this new format-centric approach.
This might be the end of the road for me which is sad after 20 years.
Personally I can’t stand DIY stuff without schematics.
I’ve built a few recently and I’ve found it really frustrating. Especially when you find an anomaly in the design and want to tweak anything to your own specs - it’s very time consuming and awkward, especially with modern double sided or even multilayer PCBs.
I don’t want to name names but there are some shockers out there. There’s some pretty well known brands that have zero after sales support so much so that people use these forums to troubleshoot. Cloners are the worst!
It's a huge backward step, as I understand. It's also counterproductive. Some builder is likely to reverse engineer the schematics, especially if they are minor tweaks, and Elby will have less control over their products than before, tweaks and all, whether they become public or not. To be clear, I'm not encouraging this, but I think it's very probable given the DIY foundation of the Serge/CGS community.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Anyone know where I can buy a cgs114 board?

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I am confused on what to do for Q102 and Q104. There are three options for MT Arrays; LS312, LS358 or THAT340. The component kit comes with both LS312 and LS358 but both of those have 8 pins when the socket has 14. Am I missing something here? :hmm:

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Jonachi wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:25 pm
Anyone know where I can buy a cgs114 board?
I bought a few from elby recently. I think he still has some old stock...

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:44 pm

Has anyone successfully built this board yet? I just finished and went to power it up to test before seating the ICs. I'm pulling down my multimeter and crossing my fingers and both the 10uf electrolytic caps explode. I took them out and tried a new pair wondering if I soldered them in backward and they pop again. I'm really curious why this is because I am getting +/-12v exactly. Is the board orienting me wrong?

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:00 pm

What version of the PCBs do you have? I have built V2 and they were fine, just about to build a V2.1 (I think the only difference is that V2.1 fixes the missing link that V2 had)

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:08 pm

it's v2. What do you think would do that?

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:14 pm

If they pop it usually means + and - are swapped. I checked the PCB and the cap footprints are the right way round I think. Got any pics?

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 pm

I mean it is a mess but I just took these. Let me look through my camera and see if I took one where you can see the orientation of the caps pre-explosion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:25 pm

A close zoom but this is what I have. Looks to me that they are oriented correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gandalf
Common Wiggler

Post by Gandalf » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:28 pm

dankalmanson wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:25 pm
A close zoom but this is what I have. Looks to me that they are oriented correctly.
Those are reversed. The 'stripe' on the capacitor is NEGATIVE, you have put that in the +ve pad

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:55 pm

Gandalf may be right, I can't really see from those pics, but I would point out that your power header is backwards to conventional orientation, of course you may have the correct voltage going to the correct pin so it would be fine, but maybe not? If you look at the PCB image the footprint has a double line on one side which shows where to place the vertical 'tab' of the header:
Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 00.55.22.png

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:56 pm

oh shit. I did not notice that. Thank you so much. That is exactly what the problem is.

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Ha, might have done that myself a few times :hihi:

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Bd with exploded caps needs GOOD cleaning sooner than later.

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 pm

Luckily I have 2 more 10uf caps. I would really hate to do yet another order for this build.

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:20 pm

I am having another confusing problem with the 514. I had it working great last night and was playing around with it for hours. Sounds great at audio rate and loving the control. I go to calibrate it today and was soon as I am adjusting p101 on the upper side it stops working. I try cutting the power and re-powering it up and the LED flashes for a second and then nothing. I try reflowing the solder on the end and trigger jacks and it seems to work and then nothing. i then go and reflow solder wherever I can.

Then, all of a sudden the LED flashes on but does not drain. I try refolding solder more and adjusting my wires to see if it is a connection issue. Keep in mind that the lower part of the module works great and is cycling. i fond that as I am reflowing there is a ping in certain spots, mostly surrounding the sub pins of the THAT 340. But, when I reflowed on the first pin the LED drained and got brighter with the rise time. Now it there is nothing. I tried swapping out my 340s and nothing.

I have spend about an hour and half doing this and wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any ideas of what could be wrong or something I am overlooking.

Gandalf
Common Wiggler

Post by Gandalf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 pm

dankalmanson wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:20 pm
I am having another confusing problem with the 514. I had it working great last night and was playing around with it for hours. Sounds great at audio rate and loving the control. I go to calibrate it today and was soon as I am adjusting p101 on the upper side it stops working. I try cutting the power and re-powering it up and the LED flashes for a second and then nothing. I try reflowing the solder on the end and trigger jacks and it seems to work and then nothing. i then go and reflow solder wherever I can.

Then, all of a sudden the LED flashes on but does not drain. I try refolding solder more and adjusting my wires to see if it is a connection issue. Keep in mind that the lower part of the module works great and is cycling. i fond that as I am reflowing there is a ping in certain spots, mostly surrounding the sub pins of the THAT 340. But, when I reflowed on the first pin the LED drained and got brighter with the rise time. Now it there is nothing. I tried swapping out my 340s and nothing.

I have spend about an hour and half doing this and wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any ideas of what could be wrong or something I am overlooking.
I hope you are not reflowing the module when it is powered - which seems to be the case from your description.

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm

I did a couple times because I forgot to turn it off. Am I screwed?

Gandalf
Common Wiggler

Post by Gandalf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:45 pm

dankalmanson wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm
I did a couple times because I forgot to turn it off. Am I screwed?
It would be a risky process and could easily damage ics and the like. If your iron is grounded you might create shorts.
At the risk of losing the whole module, you might want to try swapping all the chips form the top to the bottom and see if the problem moves or stays. If it stays, there is a PCB fault, if it moves there is a faulty ic, in this case put them all back and swap them one at a time, if you are lucky only one item has failed but, of course it could be more than one

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Yes, don’t do that!

Also worth mentioning that certain settings of the trimmer will stop it cycling, so if you are trimming and it stops you can go back to where you were and it will start again, you may need to toggle the cycle switch though.

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 pm

I swear i'm not always this boneheaded. I am just royally fucking up on this module. I'll try the trimmer again. That would make sense because it dropped off all of a sudden as I was turning it. I tried swapping out the ics with the lower half and they are fine. I'm learning more and more every day. Thank you.

dankalmanson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dankalmanson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm

ICs are all good but the LED is staying lit :/

Return to “Music Tech DIY”