CGS514

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Re: CGS514

Post by Revok » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:57 pm

The 2k2 is maybe a typo.
Here's the current BOM with no 2k2 resisitor. https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/cgs ... -cgs29.pdf
Here's the cached version with the 2k2. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=us

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:35 am

tardishead wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:50 pm
I’ve been building CGS stuff for 20 years
Never had any issues with Ken’s stuff mainly because of the included schematic even though a lot of people moan about CGS stuff
I bought a batch of about 10 new PCBs from Elby to see that they had all changed to “better” versions and none of the schematics were included. I used to love Ken’s documentation, the manner in which he explained the circuits and also supplied multiple possible wiring diagrams. I learnt a lot
Had all kinds of problems with new Elby stuff
Build guides and BOMs had loads of missing information which could have easily been resolved with a schematic. All the new Elby stuff does not support any other format apart from 4u “serge” style and only 12v even though it all works with 15v. I wrote to complain about my grievances and I got a really dismissive reply. A lot of changes and amendments to documents were from my beta testing.
It took me a while to get my head around this new format-centric approach.
This might be the end of the road for me which is sad after 20 years.
Personally I can’t stand DIY stuff without schematics.
I’ve built a few recently and I’ve found it really frustrating. Especially when you find an anomaly in the design and want to tweak anything to your own specs - it’s very time consuming and awkward, especially with modern double sided or even multilayer PCBs.
I don’t want to name names but there are some shockers out there. There’s some pretty well known brands that have zero after sales support so much so that people use these forums to troubleshoot. Cloners are the worst!
It's a huge backward step, as I understand. It's also counterproductive. Some builder is likely to reverse engineer the schematics, especially if they are minor tweaks, and Elby will have less control over their products than before, tweaks and all, whether they become public or not. To be clear, I'm not encouraging this, but I think it's very probable given the DIY foundation of the Serge/CGS community.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

Jonachi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jonachi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Anyone know where I can buy a cgs114 board?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”