Postage times for DIY with international delays

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Postage times for DIY with international delays

Post by ricko » Tue May 26, 2020 12:44 am

Just in case anyone finds this useful. I am interested in knowing what the current state if affairs is around the place, and alternatives.

Most DIYers would be aware of the current collapse of the international standard post system to and from the North and South America and Europe. With few passenger flights, standard email is increasingly been put on ships or waiting at ports or customs.

For here in Australia, at the moment, for standard tracked parcel post, most countries need an extra calendar week or double time , so 2 calendar weeks rather than 1. (Even standard DHL ftom China is taking 6 days rather than 4, and Fedex stopped many services.) About 2 months ago, I found the express to US was taking 2 weeks rather than the usual 1 week, but now since April I am getting estimates of 3 to 7 calendar weeks for standard packages: so up to 7 times as long. Very broken!

And it goes the other direction: I think the problem is at the US end. Some kits I ordered from a reliable vendor in Milwaukee has the following tracking:

* Ordered May 5
* Shipped May 7
* Received by PO: not showing in tracking US system
* Cleared and Awaiting International Departure, Chicago: May 23 (showing in Australia Post tracking system.) Plus a warning the package will go a different route (I hope not seamail.)

So the package has gone 90 miles in 16 days. Or about 16 times slower than a reasonably fit person would take running! It is as slow as buying from a price-competing mainland Chinese Ebay parts vendor!

[UPDATE: June 9. No progress.]
[UPDATE: June 11, US tracking says arrived Chicago Ohare at transit airport and is "in transit"]
[UPDATE: June 13, US tracking says item has departed airport and is "in transit"]
[UPDATE: June 16, US Tracking says left Denver airport]

So it seems that I need to look at Express or DHL, to get any kind of timeliness: what has been people's recent experience of the costs and delivery times for various methods?

(Also, I know that some suppliers just mail pcbs out as letters with no tracking--the PCB costs are a fraction of the package costs--, so I understand that risking refusal or damage or loss/ resend delays may actually now be a faster and cheaper alternative, even though it really goes against the grain for me.)

Regards
Ricko
Fricko.home.blog
Last edited by ricko on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:36 am, edited 6 times in total.

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Postage times for DIY with international delays

Post by adam » Tue May 26, 2020 1:16 am

europe to usa/canada doesn't seem too bad at the moment, certainly the amazingsynth.com stuff is getting through in a reasonable time, bit longer than normal perhaps, same for uk-mainland europe, things taking slightly longer but doesn't seem like an appreciable difference for the most part, cargo ships take about a week to north america and surface times within europe are lower than almost anywhere to australia - even within oz probably at some extremes

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Tue May 26, 2020 3:30 am

My last Tayda order was originally shipped (to Oz) in late March. I waited longer than I would normally think reasonable, but finally declared it lost a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm waiting for the replacement. (Which, to be fair, they sent as soon as I let them know that the original hadn't arrived. Tracking showed it still "in transit" after eight weeks.) So, yeah, things are fairly unpredictable right now.

fitzgreyve
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fitzgreyve » Tue May 26, 2020 3:34 am

PCBs from China to UK (e-packet, so will be slow in normal circumstances):
manufactured: 7th April
Shipped by manufacturer: 11th April
"shipped to air transport": 8th May
depart china by air: 20th May
EDIT arrived - 1st June

so, pretty slow within china.
DHL next time!
Last edited by fitzgreyve on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under developement:
- "Muse" (nearly ready for release!)
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Tue May 26, 2020 4:10 am

My last set of PCBs from China arrived in 2 weeks, via normal post.

On the other hand, a module I shipped locally took 16 days, and was on the verge of reporting it lost.

There's obviously a lot of variability.

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue May 26, 2020 4:16 am

ive posted this a few times..
but postage is fucking rooted.

i've had a USPS priority shipment from USA - that departed on 4th April...still nfi where it is.

in contrast fedex order from Juno that i put through last weekend...i got the first of 3 packages....

TuskSE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TuskSE » Tue May 26, 2020 11:29 am

Useful thread!

My last Tayda shipment to the UK (which had a Deutsche Post tracking number):

Departed Thailand: April 18th
Departed Singapore: May 9th
Arrived in UK: May 18th
Delivered: May 19th

Pre-covid, I would have expected it to come a few weeks faster, and to come with a Thailand post tracking number.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Tue May 26, 2020 2:20 pm

I think it's likely that private couriers are less delayed than the public systems, which are currently being overwhelmed by the increased demand stemming from COVID-related social assistance. In Canada and the U.S anyways, USPS and Canada Post have been struggling with underfunding for years and are now being expected to handle the additional burden of stimulus checks and whatnot without any additional funding, on top of the same labour difficulties faced by other industries.

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Tue May 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Some encouraging news today:

Posted Sydney May 13 (standard parcel/small box)
Awaiting departure May 16
Arrived San Fran May 27
[Update: delivered 29 May, so 13 calendar days: ie good time.]

I dont know if this means that delays are random, or just internal to the US, or that there are backlogs (in Chicago), or that some earlier packages got routed on slower transport.

So the AU to SF package looks like taking only a week more than usual, while the Milwaukee to AU has already taken 3 weeks longer, maybe more.

Ricko
fricko.home.blog
Last edited by ricko on Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 pm

The tip for postal tracking seems to be that you need to track on the sending Post Office, then switch to tracking on the delivering post office. They don't necessarily update each other.

Tracking info seems to be done at sorting houses, so it may not tell you if the package is actually in international transit (some POs do: UK?.) Plus, information that the package is in Customs is not tracked (anywhere, as far as I know), so a package may even not show up as landed until it clears customs. Fewer update points than the couriers.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue May 26, 2020 8:00 pm

USPS has had a contract with several domestic airlines that has been skewered by the current state of flights. Rather than wait on the tarmac for a standby, so to speak, they have been using trucks. However, trucking is at a premium right now, and USPS isn't in a position to beef up its fleet.
When your tracking goes into a black hole, it's in a trailer on a roadtrain, and not being scanned. Sometimes the trailers get parked at a crossroad, and picked up by another truck...and not scanned.

I'm just happy *anything* is being delivered. Seems like it could be a lot worse!

Having said that, I did have a package from Chicago go to LA, then Denver, before coming to Utah.
----------------------

Flounderguts

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Fri May 29, 2020 5:28 am

A customer mentioned today that a package from Australia reached him after 8 weeks. But a package sent 3 weeks ago reached him next day.

Update: That package from Milwaukee above is still in postal limbo, no progress on the tracker.

So such a variation in times...

EASYBOY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EASYBOY » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:02 pm

fedex got their shit together. 5 days from US to germany

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:59 pm

UPS and Fedex are phenomenal - even during covid. roghly 5 days for both :D and accurate - frequent tracking

twigathy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by twigathy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Another datapoint for USPS - US to UK shipping started on 8th May and I received the package today (2nd June). So, 3 and a bit weeks.

TuskSE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TuskSE » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:18 am

Tayda shipping to the UK seems to be back to normal now: I just had an order arrive in 15 days (cheapest shipping option, Deutsche Post tracking number):

Ordered 20th May
Departed Thailand 21st May
Processed in Germany 1st June
Arrived UK 4th June

khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khakifridge » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:20 am

I placed my last order on 9th May. It arrived the day before yours. :confused:

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:35 pm

That package I ordered from Milwaukee has supposedly now left the Chicago airport, after sitting around for a whole month at the airport. Pretty poor!

[UPDATE: seems to have been put on a plane June13]

Rick
Last edited by ricko on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Ordered from NLC (Australia) 25th May arrived in UK 3rd June, can't complain at that :)

wuff_miggler
Ultra Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 pm

ricko wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:35 pm
That package I ordered from Milwaukee has supposedly now left the Chicago airport, after sitting around for a whole month at the airport. Pretty poor!

Rick
my order from the US...using USPS - is not only not here..(ordered on 4th April) , the tracking doesnt work any more ....hehe...
looks like im getting a refund :/

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 pm
ricko wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:35 pm

Rick
my order from the US...using USPS - is not only not here..(ordered on 4th April) , the tracking doesnt work any more ....hehe...
looks like im getting a refund :/
for first class international, USPS Tracking only works inside the US. The only service that tracks in any meaningful manner is International Priority Express (which is fulfilled by EMS) and that will cost you more than UPS or FedEx plus that's delayed really badly as well. Average delivery time for first class looks average about 8 weeks using US Mail, UK seems better but europe and elsewhere is a mess. I know someone who just got a 1st class parcel that he ordered in January. I dont think its a US Mail issue per say, it moves internally at a somewhat delayed rate but once it leaves the international sorting center (chicago, jamaica, etc) all bets are off. I think there is a gigantic backlog in customs and that's the root cause for the delays. There's no good solution beyond going to a carrier like UPS or Fedex but its REALLY expensive in the US and not practical for boards and what not.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 pm

I have been listing delivery times as I hear about them on my blog (shipping from Perth Aus) -
https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/blog/ ... very-times

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm
for first class international, USPS Tracking only works inside the US. The only service that tracks in any meaningful manner is International Priority Express (which is fulfilled by EMS) and that will cost you more than UPS or FedEx plus that's delayed really badly as well. Average delivery time for first class looks average about 8 weeks using US Mail, UK seems better but europe and elsewhere is a mess. I know someone who just got a 1st class parcel that he ordered in January. I dont think its a US Mail issue per say, it moves internally at a somewhat delayed rate but once it leaves the international sorting center (chicago, jamaica, etc) all bets are off. I think there is a gigantic backlog in customs and that's the root cause for the delays. There's no good solution beyond going to a carrier like UPS or Fedex but its REALLY expensive in the US and not practical for boards and what not.
It really depends on the destination country. I get quite a few international orders and ship everything USPS and once it leaves the US I have found tracking to be okay for most countries and some not so good. I have one shipment sent to Japan that got to the destination post office in a few days, but has been in that status for two weeks now.

regularjackson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by regularjackson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Whelm wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:20 pm
I think it's likely that private couriers are less delayed than the public systems, which are currently being overwhelmed by the increased demand stemming from COVID-related social assistance. In Canada and the U.S anyways, USPS and Canada Post have been struggling with underfunding for years and are now being expected to handle the additional burden of stimulus checks and whatnot without any additional funding, on top of the same labour difficulties faced by other industries.
I would just like to point out that Canada Post is not funded at all. It is a self sustaining business.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:47 pm

regularjackson wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Whelm wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:20 pm
I would just like to point out that Canada Post is not funded at all. It is a self sustaining business.
I actually didn't realize that. So the decision to end home delivery was one made independently by management and wasn't connected to federal policy?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”