Postage times for DIY with international delays

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Postage times for DIY with international delays

Post by glennfin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:35 am

:roll: Sill waiting for my Vortex Generator to arrive from Spain to USA. 5 weeks and counting..

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:33 am
Hm. I received a PCB from Modular Addict yesterday which I had ordered less than 4 weeks ago :despair: . It was sent with USPS standard shipping service (the cheapest option available).

yeah, sometimes things get through normally. That's not the status quo right now and hasnt been since around February

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 am

.on the other hand,... very recent orders from Tayda are arriving in an amazing one week! DHL which is very affordable.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:54 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 am
near future? Probably not, in the US this isnt even remotely over and is getting worse as both a health and shipping delay issue. Germany in particular has be the worst of the worst and I havent seen anything get through in less than 2 months with 4 months being the worst so far. I am shipping the lower value items first class still (pots included) but dont expect them in any particular time frame
We are definitely seeing extreme cases from UK to Germany like you describe but it is a minority, maybe there are just extreme regional variations rather than across the service as a whole?
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am

idk. I wont speculate as to why but it seems that it gets stuck once it gets in country, it also seems to be worse around destinations in population centers (Berlin in particular is where Ive seen the longest delays).

As far as stuff in the US, stuff will stop in regional centers for day or weeks at a time. Clearly a capacity issue where they are just overloaded.

From several dozen parcels to various destinations this is a rough outline (As far as 1st class US Mail goes):

Australia: 2-3 Months. Also had issues with Currier packages going out there
UK: 10 days to 2 weeks This seems to be the exception to all this since thats about average pre-pandemic
Germany: This is where most issues are, Germany is one location that USPS International WILL track outside the US so I can see how long its taking to get from when it enters to when its delivered and its a loooong time. it takes about 2 weeks to get from here to the entry port and then it will sit anywhere from 2-18 weeks before being delivered. Maybe customs clearance is just overloaded
Austria: 8 weeks
France: 4-8 weeks
Italy: 4-8 weeks
Sweden/Finland: 8 weeks

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:35 am

Some of the most extreme delays we've seen in Europe are into Belgium, Netherlands are similar but have got a lot better now.
Last edited by Monobass on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATW
Common Wiggler

Post by ATW » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:40 am

Belgium: 5-6 weeks (40 days) for a module.
About 20 days to get to the US, and 20 days between arriving at customs and delivery.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am

Ah yeah sorry edited my post, I mean into Belgium.

It's worth noting there are big disparities with entry and exit, parcels are still LEAVING a lot of countries as quickly as normal.

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 am

I sent a kit to Australia on 7/15 via USPS 1st class package. It got to SF in 3 days and left the US on 7/23. The latest tracking info from 7/27 says "Processed through facility" Australia. It's in their hands now.

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am
Germany: This is where most issues are, Germany is one location that USPS International WILL track outside the US so I can see how long its taking to get from when it enters to when its delivered and its a loooong time.
I won't ship by post to Germany anymore - only courier now. I've had too many instances of packages sent by post being delayed by German Customs for a month or more with no tracking updates and no information about what, if anything, was wrong. One ended up being returned to me after about three months, just a few days shy of the deadline for when Canada Post would've had to pay out on the insurance and I'm sure that's no coincidence. Packages with the same declaration paperwork clear German Customs no problem within a day when delivered by UPS or DHL, and I don't believe it's anything to do with incorrect declarations, a demand for RoHS documentation, or anything like that.

I've found (both as a sender, and as a recipient when I was living in Europe) that courier companies in Europe have trouble comprehending the idea that people have jobs. They will only deliver during business hours when residential recipients aren't at home, they won't leave a package without collecting a signature even if directed to do so by both the sender and the recipient, and then when the deliveries fail they hold the packages at depots that are far from population centres and expect the recipients to travel to the depots to get the packages. So there's some pressure to use the post office, which is better equipped to deal with residential deliveries. But if the post office can't get the package through Customs - as it seems it can't in Germany - then it's not a realistic option.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:04 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am
it takes about 2 weeks to get from here to the entry port and then it will sit anywhere from 2-18 weeks before being delivered. Maybe customs clearance is just overloaded
I suppose this is indeed the case and you are right.

I believe (but I admit this is an assumption) most parcels beyond the price limit above which you have to pay import taxes and/or customs fees will pass quickly, but anything the addressee has to pay for takes much longer. I had this with another shipment from the US (a few PCBs from PedalPCB) a while ago which took about 4 weeks just to pass German customs.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:09 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:04 am
I believe (but I admit this is an assumption) most parcels beyond the price limit above which you have to pay import taxes and/or customs fees will pass quickly,..
No. I dont think thats the case at all. PCB parcels valued low get stuck just like everything else, the customs paper work is on the package, its not submitted electronically so high or low value, someone has to look at it

mskala wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:54 am
... . Packages with the same declaration paperwork clear German Customs no problem within a day when delivered by UPS or DHL.
That's because they have their own customs clearance (which the receiver pays for, this is the infamous brokerage fee). There is a trick to it too, with UPS (IDK what the compatible name is for DHL), there is an option to send things DDP (Delivery Duty Paid). You need to have all your paper work submitted electronically and in order plus know exactly what the duties are but you can pay those when you get label and it wont even stop at customs. This is how mouser gets everything through to Europe so quickly
Last edited by Altitude909 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:09 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:04 am
I suppose this is indeed the case and you are right.

I believe (but I admit this is an assumption) most parcels beyond the price limit above which you have to pay import taxes and/or customs fees will pass quickly, but anything the addressee has to pay for takes much longer. I had this with another shipment from the US (a few PCBs from PedalPCB) a while ago which took about 4 weeks just to pass German customs.
Even parcels from within the EU, e.g. France -> Germany which have no taxes or fees due are still taking 4 weeks to pass German Customs sometimes.

There is an assumption that parcels from EU to EU countries don't pass through some level of customs/security, but they do, it's just it's transparent to the receiver in normal times

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:14 am

Monobass wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:09 am
Even parcels from within the EU, e.g. France -> Germany which have no taxes or fees due are still taking 4 weeks to pass German Customs sometimes.
Yeah I know... and I'll be able to post some actual information soon (hopefully!), as I ordered the "Opera Rotas" kit from Spain plus that Yamaha chip you need for it from the Netherlands earlier this week.

I suppose it won't make much difference for the latter that I'm located rather close (about 15 km) to the Dutch and also the Belgian (about 20 km) borders ;) .
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

KlangGenerator
Common Wiggler

Post by KlangGenerator » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 am

Altitude909 wrote:
near future? Probably not, in the US this isnt even remotely over and is getting worse as both a health and shipping delay issue. Germany in particular has be the worst of the worst and I havent seen anything get through in less than 2 months with 4 months being the worst so far. I am shipping the lower value items first class still (pots included) but dont expect them in any particular time frame
My order from you in May arrived in less than two weeks. Funnily the USPS tracking history is still showing "in transit" @ Frankfurt/ Germany. If I search with "Deutsche Post" though, I get "delivered". So USPS doesn't seem to update the tracking once the shipment arrived in the destination country. Looking forward to USPS shipments by you again... ;)

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 am

KlangGenerator wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 am
Altitude909 wrote:
My order from you in May arrived in less than two weeks. Funnily the USPS tracking history is still showing "in transit" @ Frankfurt/ Germany. If I search with "Deutsche Post" though, I get "delivered". So USPS doesn't seem to update the tracking once the shipment arrived in the destination country. Looking forward to USPS shipments by you again... ;)
I'm still shipping low value (under $50) stuff US Mail over seas, Modules have to go UPS though

XANi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XANi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:18 pm

Spain -> Poland - after a month still stuck in Madrid. Oh why I chose to be cheap on that...
UK -> Poland - less than 2 weeks

All normal post, so far I haven't had any significant delay

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:20 pm

I just sent a board off to the UK from Australia, first try at sending (registered) surface mail. Usually I send tracked parcels. The PO website warns of a week or two extra delay (so less than a month). One worker at the counter said 1 or 2 months risk. Another said 2 or 3 months risk! They have no idea.

I guess it needs to be the choice of the customer: so it is important to have good information.

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 pm

I just received a package from Australia to NY in 4 days! Crazy fast. A few weeks ago it took 13 days for USPS to ship from NYC to upstate NY, which is like a 5 hour drive. :hmm:

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 pm

I've got two items in limbo at the moment. One from Japan that was sent over a month ago, with no further updates and another from Sweden that arrived in the UK three days after being posted and promptly disappeared into the ether. Last update was that it left Heathrow two weeks ago.
One day I'll get an avatar!

KlangGenerator
Common Wiggler

Post by KlangGenerator » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 am
I'm still shipping low value (under $50) stuff US Mail over seas, Modules have to go UPS though
Ok. Unfortunately I need more than 1 set of potentiometers.

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 pm

gloamtrotter wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 pm
I just received a package from Australia to NY in 4 days! Crazy fast. A few weeks ago it took 13 days for USPS to ship from NYC to upstate NY, which is like a 5 hour drive. :hmm:
Which delivery service was that, please?

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:15 pm

ricko wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:13 pm
gloamtrotter wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 pm
Which delivery service was that, please?
EMS International express I believe

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:26 pm

gslug wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 pm
I've got two items in limbo at the moment. One from Japan that was sent over a month ago, with no further updates and another from Sweden that arrived in the UK three days after being posted and promptly disappeared into the ether. Last update was that it left Heathrow two weeks ago.
That is the difference between Couriers and Post, it seems. The Courier companies like DHL have individual tracking at each point and unified reporting, while the Post Offices only have tracking at key sorting points. And even then, one country's PO only updates the tracking to another county's system in sporadic bursts, if at all. And within each country you get different granularity. So I track using the website of the PO of which ever country the package is in at the time.

gslug
Common Wiggler

Post by gslug » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 am

ricko wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:26 pm
gslug wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 pm
That is the difference between Couriers and Post, it seems. The Courier companies like DHL have individual tracking at each point and unified reporting, while the Post Offices only have tracking at key sorting points. And even then, one country's PO only updates the tracking to another county's system in sporadic bursts, if at all. And within each country you get different granularity. So I track using the website of the PO of which ever country the package is in at the time.
That's what I've been doing with the second package. As for the first one, I don't even know what continent it is currently on! In the past I've had things sent internationally that have arrived, but according to tracking never left the country of origin.
One day I'll get an avatar!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”