Postage times for DIY with international delays

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Postage times for DIY with international delays

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 pm

i have several european customers still waiting for small packages of diy goods mailed with usps first class in march/april from chicago. the destinations are in belgium, netherlands, and portugal. so usps is really failing internationally and in some cases not updating tracking for months at a time.

things slowly seem to be making it to the UK with first class, although an order for just a pcb/panel took from end of april to beginning of june to get there.

i did also have a round of packages sent back to me for putting "electronic parts" on the customs forms. so usps does appear to be more strict now, because ive been putting electronic parts on the customs forms for years with no problems.
Żłób modules, pcbs, and kits available at:
http://zlobmodular.com/

My Eurorack compositions for vinyl "Tholins of Kharon" is out 11/23/19
http://zlobmodular.com/music/

Solo modular synth recordings using Buchla, Serge, and Eurorack:
https://onurzlobnicki.bandcamp.com/album/

Eps by my metal band
http://burningchurches.bandcamp.com/releases

regularjackson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by regularjackson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Whelm wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:47 pm
regularjackson wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Whelm wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:20 pm
I think it's likely that private couriers are less delayed than the public systems, which are currently being overwhelmed by the increased demand stemming from COVID-related social assistance. In Canada and the U.S anyways, USPS and Canada Post have been struggling with underfunding for years and are now being expected to handle the additional burden of stimulus checks and whatnot without any additional funding, on top of the same labour difficulties faced by other industries.
I would just like to point out that Canada Post is not funded at all. It is a self sustaining business.
I actually didn't realize that. So the decision to end home delivery was one made independently by management and wasn't connected to federal policy?
Well, it is owned by the government, so the CEO of Canada Post at the time was appointed by Harper. So yeah, basically the government forced that through. But no tax dollars go to Canada Post.

regularjackson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by regularjackson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 pm

regularjackson wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 pm
Whelm wrote:
regularjackson wrote:
Whelm wrote:
I think it's likely that private couriers are less delayed than the public systems, which are currently being overwhelmed by the increased demand stemming from COVID-related social assistance. In Canada and the U.S anyways, USPS and Canada Post have been struggling with underfunding for years and are now being expected to handle the additional burden of stimulus checks and whatnot without any additional funding, on top of the same labour difficulties faced by other industries.
I would just like to point out that Canada Post is not funded at all. It is a self sustaining business.
I actually didn't realize that. So the decision to end home delivery was one made independently by management and wasn't connected to federal policy?
Well, it is owned by the government, so the CEO of Canada Post at the time was appointed by Harper. So yeah, basically the government forced that through. But no tax dollars go to Canada Post.
Trudeau campaigned on restoring home delivery to those that lost it, but he only ended up stopping it's expansion. So I believe any bigger cities have home delivery still but most rural do not.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:07 pm

regularjackson wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 pm
Whelm wrote:
regularjackson wrote:
Whelm wrote:
Ohh okay that makes sense and sounds familiar now that you say it. Thanks.

To contribute more on topic, it took me three weeks to get a package from Electric Druid in the UK (or portugal?) and about the same amount of time from SynthCube to me in western Canada, using national carriers. An a "letter" from NLC in Australia took a month. So really I can't complain, maybe I've been lucky.

My wife on the other hand has been waiting for a duduk from Armenia for like two months now.

abelovesfun
Ultra Wiggler

Post by abelovesfun » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 am

I am a maker and have a LOT of international shipments both to and from.
It is COMPLETELY unpredictable.
I have things from China I have been waiting for since February.
Yesterday I got a package from china I ordered the week prior.
Once customer got a package from me (Portland, OR USA) in Belgium within a week.
Another customer in EU has been waiting for two weeks.
Super Easy, Awesome DIY kits @ http://www.aisynthesis.com
modular ambient and composery music @ http://www.forcedamage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/forcedamagemusic

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:44 am

finally got my package from Perth from Andrew after 63 days, most of the time auspost showed it stuck in the Perth port, and I assume it had to go by boat in the end. It did get to NYC, though, and was in good shape. In contrast, a Tayda order I placed on the very same day in early April made it from Thailand to NYC in 3 days—faster than the domestic Newark and Mouser orders that were ordered with 2-day 3rd party shipping! YMMV and all bets off 2 months later, though.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 am

onurkalaycioglu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:01 pm
i did also have a round of packages sent back to me for putting "electronic parts" on the customs forms. so usps does appear to be more strict now, because ive been putting electronic parts on the customs forms for years with no problems.
Funny. Same experience. "electronic parts" seems to be something they flag for return, i've stopped using that term a while ago and the problems stopped. You can use any gibberish you want and it will be fine but "electronic parts" always seems to bounce back

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:09 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 am
Funny. Same experience. "electronic parts" seems to be something they flag for return, i've stopped using that term a while ago and the problems stopped. You can use any gibberish you want and it will be fine but "electronic parts" always seems to bounce back
I always use a term from the harmonize code description.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:56 am

I had ordered a few PCBs from PedalPCB in the US. Shipping with USPS (mind the extra S, I'm not talking UPS here) was fairly quick on their side. Tracking showed the envelope to have appeared in Frankfurt/Germany on May 10. It was not until June 8 (yes, 4 days ago) that I actually held the envelope in my shivering ;) hands. Seems German customs are, erm, not very fast at the moment. Four weeks between arrival in Germany and actual delivery.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:10 pm

infinitemachinery wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:09 am
Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 am
I always use a term from the harmonize code description.
I believe if you send to UK and EU, it is prudent to include the ROHS (or more recent equivalent) declaration, which the PCB manufacturer will have on their site. Could it be that?

Ricko
fricko.home.blog

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:43 pm

Some good articles on why the delays.

According to this https://globalnews.ca/news/7048741/coro ... ost-delay/ in Canada 1) they have package levels more than Christmas 2) people are ordering bigger and heavier things 3) keeping workers distant means fewer per line.

According an Australian article, when most flights were cancelled around the world, that took out the priority services, which then push non-priority back. And the drop in letters in business districts meant staff were in the wrong locations.

For USPS, https://esellercafe.com/us-postal-servi ... 6-11-2020/ June 3, they have stopped post *to* developing countries, PRC, Hong Kong. Some parcels to some countries are now going by sea in late April and May, which adds about 2.5 weeks: Austria, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Finland, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland (Geneva and Zurich), Brazil.

The UK Royal Mail has useful info on US: https://business.help.royalmail.com/app ... nts-update

Mail and parcels are being moved around the USA and managed through many international mail centres across the country. This is outside of the normal operating procedures, and is so the United States Postal Service (USPS) can manage the very high volumes. 

Los Angeles - is processing 50% more than they do in Christmas peak period, and are experiencing significant delays.

JFK (New York) & Miami - is up to date and processing normally.

San Fransisco - is handling heavy volumes and have moved international work to domestic mail centres outside of the normal International Mail Centres to cope with high volumes. Customers should expect delays.

Chicago - Significant delays are still being seen through the Chicago gateway. We're diverting traffic away from this gateway in consultation with United States Postal Service.

Customers should expect delays across the USA, some are significant as USPS continues to deal with heavy increases in volumes.

My "delay" in Chicago has been 1 month. I gather that USPS was just about to go to outsourced delivery, so their delivery fleet is in rundown, not good for a sudden boom.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm

Whelm wrote:
USPS and Canada Post have been struggling with underfunding for years and are now being expected to handle the additional burden of stimulus checks and whatnot without any additional funding, on top of the same labour difficulties faced by other industries.
USPS was profitable until the Postal Accountability Act of 2006
https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-con ... -bill/6407

ArcDevilz
Common Wiggler

Post by ArcDevilz » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:56 pm

I ordered a 266R from a seller in Germany. Took almost a month to get to Los Angeles.
For business I had a pallet with 1200 lbs of hardware that needed to get to Australia. I couldn't get any freight companies to accept the job.. We opted for UPS and it took two months to get everything delivered. Some boxes arrived within a week and the rest trickled in. Thing's are pretty jacked up but will get better soon.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:02 pm

thetwlo wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm
Whelm wrote:
USPS and Canada Post have been struggling with underfunding for years and are now being expected to handle the additional burden of stimulus checks and whatnot without any additional funding, on top of the same labour difficulties faced by other industries.
USPS was profitable until the Postal Accountability Act of 2006
https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-con ... -bill/6407
That is so wild. I only lived in the U.S for a couple years and going to the post office was a dystopian experience. Huge beautiful buildings with big long service desks staffed by one single employee and a line up 15 people long.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:30 pm

Whelm wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:02 pm
That is so wild. I only lived in the U.S for a couple years and going to the post office was a dystopian experience. Huge beautiful buildings with big long service desks staffed by one single employee and a line up 15 people long.
it depends, some USPS offices are great and well staffed, many are not. That can be different in the same city. There is a problem.

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:51 am

Progress! So that USPO tracked package that shipped May 7 from Milwaukee has now reached Denver on June 16, on its way to Sydney. So that is 1000 miles in 41 days, or 1 mile per hour. Only 8,000 to go.

That's right, someone could have walked slowly carrying it just 8 hours a day and be ahead. A well organized team of turtles on speed could go about as fast. At this rate, I look forward to my package in 11 months time. ;-)

Rick

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm

Small packet ordered from Tayda 20th March, declared lost in transit after about eight weeks. (Which I'm now thinking might have been a premature decision, even if it was correct! No, the first order didn't turn up after they'd sent the replacement.)
Replacement order sent 14th May, arrived in Australia 23rd June.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:23 am

Just for reference, A package i mailed in the beginning of February was delivered in Berlin a week ago. That's where things are at

Electric Druid
Common Wiggler

Post by Electric Druid » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:37 pm

We've had a hugely variable experience sending parcels from Electric Druid (and yes, we ship from Portugal, although the business is currently still UK registered - we're in the process of moving to the EU). A lot of things have taken twice or three times the usual time to reach their destination, but it's *in no way* consistent. Some stuff makes it in pretty good time. Other packages disappear for weeks or *months* on end. There have been more than a few that we've given up on and assumed lost. We re-send those to make sure the customer gets their chips, and (Sod's law applies) as soon as you do that the original parcel arrives, or the replacement parcel arrives, closely followed by the original. It's like buses!! There are none, and then two come along at once!

We assumed fairly early on that Covid-19 would imply a certain amount of extra losses in the mail, and that's been true. I'm just glad that post (mail for our US readers!) is still operating and we've been able to keep running the business at all. So many places haven't had that luxury, and I appreciate that. Our losses are tiny in comparison to what bars and restaurants or hotels or dozens of others have suffered. People are going out of business right, left, and centre. It's really a catastrophe.

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:59 pm

My mailed package posted Milwaukee 7th May finally arrived Sydney 30th June. So 7.5 weeks.

The postie said it was because of fewer flights. But 5 weeks of the time was at Chicago, so who knows: is it domestic flights that are fewer as well as international? or are they queuing In Chicago to prevent congestion at LAX? As above, I think there was more chaos than just fewer flights: extra packages plus few staff plus capital rundown.

I see some vendors are offering discounts or deals. For fricko, I'm trying a bump up packages to non-Pacific North America to Express, as they get priority: I have had reasonsible times (well, less than 2 weeks!) from Sydney to LA at standard tracked, but not to or from elsewhere in USA. From what I can figure out, stopovers amplify the delay. I think a bump up might be better than a discount: doesnt cost me the vendor anything extra compared to a discount, but gets it to the customer faster.

Cheers
Rick
fricko.home.blog

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:19 am

standard email is increasingly been put on ships or waiting at ports or customs.
I guess (hope actually) this is a typo? :sstorm:

fitzgreyve
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fitzgreyve » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:33 am

Fedex from Mass, USA to UK: despatched 22 June, delivered 25 June (shipping was USD 20)
(software upgrade eprom for recently acquired DrumKat dk-10)
Under developement:
- "Muse" (nearly ready for release!)
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:04 am

I am expecting some things from Russia to UK,

Holy **** batman

its for 38 days in limbo saying "parcel left Russian Customs".

Since then ...crickets....
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:51 am

Just got something posted airmail March 21 in Tokyo on June 29 NYC area fwiw.

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:58 am

ndkent wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:51 am
Just got something posted airmail March 21 in Tokyo on June 29 NYC area fwiw.
Must have been shipped. Some did that.

* Mail (USPO) has been variable: standard mail can take months, express seems to gave priority and nOt be so bad. But it is entirely dependent on the specifics.

* DHL is slightly delayed only, by accounts.

* Fedex/TNT cancelled many services, but seems OK if available: APAC packages are mostly back, but not Express with APAC countries. They have expected delay times listed.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”