Postage times for DIY with international delays

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Electric Druid
Common Wiggler

Re: Postage times for DIY with international delays

Post by Electric Druid » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:44 pm

My experience with our parcels has been that things get held up upon arrival in a new country. Rather than log them in immediately and then sit on them, they sit on them for a couple/several/multiple weeks first, and then maybe do something about them. This makes sense from a "protect your staff from Covid-19" point of view, since no-one believes the virus can survive on the surface of mail packages for anything like that long, so by the time anyone handles them they should be totally safe.

But it's a pain in the neck when you're watching a tracking number and all it says is "dispatched from Lisbon" for about a month or more before anything happens.

nigel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nigel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 pm

I made another Tayda order last weekend, and it arrived here in Australia on Thursday. Paid an extra couple of dollars for DHL instead of standard post, but I was still pleasantly surprised. It was fast enough that I feel obliged to wipe it down before and after opening, just in case!

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:56 pm

i sent something to germany usps priority mail express and it still took almost exactly one month from chicago to outside berlin, although it was a larger package.

and a standard usps priority mail package from chicago to the uk made it in around 3 weeks. from mid june to mid july.
Żłób modules, pcbs, and kits available at:
http://zlobmodular.com/

My Eurorack compositions for vinyl "Tholins of Kharon" is out 11/23/19
http://zlobmodular.com/music/

Solo modular synth recordings using Buchla, Serge, and Eurorack:
https://onurzlobnicki.bandcamp.com/album/

Eps by my metal band
http://burningchurches.bandcamp.com/releases

tele_player
Common Wiggler

Post by tele_player » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:55 pm

208p boards sent from Belgium on 18 June via Belgian Post and US Post. Latest tracking indicates the package has left San Francisco, so I expect to see it in a day or two. Total time: about 30 days.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:38 pm

I sent a 1983 back to Bastl in May and the last update is May 15th at SFO... Yowza. Definitely things have slowed down a bit.

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:06 am

Some panels just arrived from the US within a week!
Meanwhile on my order from Russia .... opened a paypal claim. No update on tracking for 2 months.
frac & 100m & eurorack (equal opportunities wiggler)
-----------------------------------------------
:blacet: :blacet: fracmodular.github.io :blacet: :blacet:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:01 am

mamonu wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:06 am
Some panels just arrived from the US within a week!
Meanwhile on my order from Russia .... opened a paypal claim. No update on tracking for 2 months.
And here's the problem, opening a case in this environment is screwing the seller and buyers should really be giving some latitude here. I've already had this happen to me, I have a BIG BANNER on the front page of the shop warning people of the long delivery times and people still use the cheap shipping and expect the item in a couple of weeks when its been taking MONTHS on average. Now I have cases being opened on paypal by people "not aware of any shipping delays" . I've yet to hear back from paypal if they are adjusting their policy to account for this but if they stick to the book, the buyer is entitled to their money back if the item does not arrive within the set time (45 days IIRC, not nearly enough right now) and I'm screwed out of a sale and they get their item for free.

The result is affordable shipping rates to people buying internationally are over from me, UPS Express with full declared value is now the only option. That way its fully tracked and covered against loss and I am protected. That also means as a buyer, you're on the hook for VAT, customs, and brokerage fees on top of the high transport fees (2.5x the cost of the budget USPS Rate). It sucks for the reasonable people who understand since mailing a PCB internationally will go from $13 to $38 but there are people out there that are exploiting the situation and just sitting there waiting for the clock to run .

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:05 am

Yes but think about it the other way too.

This has been fully declared. The seller has already started what he need to do towards getting his compensation from the (his) post office.

If i dont get the item OR compensation from paypal then I am out of money + have received nothing.

And have paid for the high price postage too btw (~40$)

No running clocks down here...

EDIT: i love that this is my 666th post. very fitting :twisted:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:35 am

right except there is a reasonable expectation that the item WILL be delivered eventually, you file a claim and get your money, there is no recourse for the seller to recoup that. Expecting a buyer to pay again for an item they have been refunded for and received anyway is a fantasy so I can either stop shipping items internationally or I can impose pretty harsh shipping terms to protect my business. There's no good out for this beyond the buyer and seller agree to something outside enforceable terms (ie. the seller agrees to a refund after X weeks which is beyond the limit of PayPal etc) and that requires a bit of a leap of faith on the buyers part which is asking a lot

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:10 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:35 am
right except there is a reasonable expectation that the item WILL be delivered eventually, you file a claim and get your money, there is no recourse for the seller to recoup that. Expecting a buyer to pay again for an item they have been refunded for and received anyway is a fantasy so I can either stop shipping items internationally or I can impose pretty harsh shipping terms to protect my business. There's no good out for this beyond the buyer and seller agree to something outside enforceable terms (ie. the seller agrees to a refund after X weeks which is beyond the limit of PayPal etc) and that requires a bit of a leap of faith on the buyers part which is asking a lot

You know that if by the deadline the decision is made (ie 3.5 + months after the payment) the item is delivered then I dont get anything (apart from the item that i bought) right ?

Which is what i expect. I dont want anything for free.

Paypal is aware of the tracking number as is the seller.
Seller is going to be compensated by (his) post as he put full price and insurance.

My case also has to do a bit with the "peculiarities" of the Russian post so I dont think it applies to other countries as much.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:28 am

mamonu wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:10 am

You know that if by the deadline the decision is made (ie 3.5 + months after the payment) the item is delivered then I dont get anything (apart from the item that i bought) right ?

oh, i get it just fine, each side cant really be satisfied without screwing the other over and like I said, the solution is to use a premium courier service which unfortunately the buyer will pay for.

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dot matrix madness » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:18 am

Just for the record: My order from ladik.eu (Czech republic) arrived within three days in Germany.
Licenced to solder since 1993

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 am

FYI- I shipped a kit to the U.K. via USPS 1st class package rate on 7/8. It was delivered 10 days later.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 am

UK seems to be the exception, i've had no issues there either. Everything has arrived under 2 weeks

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:58 am

My last package from the UK made it to Chicago in a week, out of customs, and hasn’t moved in 10 days since then. Escalated claims with USPS but they don’t seem to know where it is
WTB: Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO, Plan B Model 12 VCF, ADDAC 805v1

snowtires
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowtires » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:02 am

I've been waiting for a package from Reichelt since July 3rd, since the 10th it's said that it was being held in Hamburg, waiting to be sent to the US. I have no clue if that's normal for what's going down right now, but it definitely sucks because I need those f'ing pots

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:07 am

B0bcat wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:58 am
My last package from the UK made it to Chicago in a week, out of customs, and hasn’t moved in 10 days since then. Escalated claims with USPS but they don’t seem to know where it is
About a month ago I had two packages sent from Thonk to here in Oregon. One arrived in a reasonable time. The other was stuck in Chicago for days. I contacted USPS using their website and, surprisingly, received a phone call from them within an hour. They explained that the package was held in Customs and would probably be held for 20 days before being released to USPS (not sure why the first package sailed thru).

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:17 am

infinitemachinery wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 am
FYI- I shipped a kit to the U.K. via USPS 1st class package rate on 7/8. It was delivered 10 days later.
I’m curious what harmonized codes you are using? Because it’s clearly making a difference with faster customs processing nowadays.

Eps by my metal band

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:24 am

I use code 9209.94.8000, description Electronic Musical Instrument Kit.

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:05 pm

infinitemachinery wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:24 am
I use code 9209.94.8000, description Electronic Musical Instrument Kit.
cool, thanks.

Eps by my metal band

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:27 am

We just had the tracking on a parcel sent from UK to South Korea with Royal Mail update today after FOUR MONTHS :zombie:

So I know it's still not great in the US and Europe, but spare a thought for everyone east :tu:
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

ricko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ricko » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 am

My latest PCB order

Ordered Pcbway: Sat July 18 July 11:44pm
Fabricated and Shipped Shenzen: Monday 20 July 1.46pm.
Delivered Sydney: Monday 27 July 1.20pm

So tracked DHL took exactly 7 days door to door, which is three days less than best. You could see it taking an extra day at each hop, landing in Sydney too late to get a weekday delivery. Disappointing but not disasterous.

Tomorrow I am trying an experiment for a UK customer who wants to make their own panel, so just selling the PCB makes it light enough to send by tracked post rather than package (250g limit): cheaper, but lets see the timing.

KlangGenerator
Common Wiggler

Post by KlangGenerator » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:37 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:01 am

The result is affordable shipping rates to people buying internationally are over from me, UPS Express with full declared value is now the only option. That way its fully tracked and covered against loss and I am protected. That also means as a buyer, you're on the hook for VAT, customs, and brokerage fees on top of the high transport fees (2.5x the cost of the budget USPS Rate). It sucks for the reasonable people who understand since mailing a PCB internationally will go from $13 to $38 but there are people out there that are exploiting the situation and just sitting there waiting for the clock to run .
Is there a chance that you will be offering standard shipping again in the near future? Just wanted to order some more RE-303 ruggedized pot sets but the UPS rates and costs for customs clearance are kinda holding me off... :roll:

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 am

near future? Probably not, in the US this isnt even remotely over and is getting worse as both a health and shipping delay issue. Germany in particular has be the worst of the worst and I havent seen anything get through in less than 2 months with 4 months being the worst so far. I am shipping the lower value items first class still (pots included) but dont expect them in any particular time frame

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:33 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:02 am
Germany in particular has be the worst of the worst and I havent seen anything get through in less than 2 months with 4 months being the worst so far.
Hm. I received a PCB from Modular Addict yesterday which I had ordered less than 4 weeks ago :despair: . It was sent with USPS standard shipping service (the cheapest option available).
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”