Dunnington 281D build thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by tarandfeathers » Fri May 29, 2020 6:05 am

I announced these in the Buchla subforum but I thought it would be worth having a thread for folks to discuss building these modules.

First off, full docs are at https://github.com/DunningtonAudio/281D

As per the notes, for hand assembly it's best to solder the lowest profile/finest pitch parts first, and work up to the highest profile parts.

Looking forward to seeing how people get on with these, any feedback on buildability etc. is definitely welcome.
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla format accoutrements available

User avatar
search64
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by search64 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:18 am

That looks really great! Any plans for more modules? Perhaps even a 218?

tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by tarandfeathers » Fri May 29, 2020 2:47 pm

search64 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:18 am
That looks really great! Any plans for more modules? Perhaps even a 218?
Some vague ideas but nothing very concrete right now. I was chipping away at these for about a year on and off, and the things I personally need most as of now would probably be new designs, so I wouldn't hold your breath, but I'm sure I will keep at it in some form...
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla format accoutrements available

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:42 am

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by finlayshakespeare » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:20 pm

Finally got the pots for a couple of these today and put one of the two boards together. I ordered some boards w/ a stencil so I could do a pick + place job, then stick the boards in our reflow oven. Channel C seems to be fully working, but all other channels seem to be stuck super slow. Going to investigate what's going on tomorrow and will report back - I'm certain it's bad joints or shorts.

One bit of feedback I would give - the footprint for the SOD-323 parts is quite tricky to deal with, even with stencil + paste + reflow. Even reworking them with the iron, I'm still not particularly confident with how those joints have come out. Otherwise, absolutely top job and looking forward to getting the whole module working!

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:42 am

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by finlayshakespeare » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:29 am

finlayshakespeare wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:20 pm
Finally got the pots for a couple of these today and put one of the two boards together. I ordered some boards w/ a stencil so I could do a pick + place job, then stick the boards in our reflow oven. Channel C seems to be fully working, but all other channels seem to be stuck super slow. Going to investigate what's going on tomorrow and will report back - I'm certain it's bad joints or shorts.
Turned out to be the 3906 pairs! I has assumed they were symmetrical, but they aren't - teaches me for next time! I'm now basking in quad AD goodness :party:

tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by tarandfeathers » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:37 am

finlayshakespeare wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:29 am
Turned out to be the 3906 pairs! I has assumed they were symmetrical, but they aren't - teaches me for next time! I'm now basking in quad AD goodness :party:
Excellent! And a good catch - the pin 1 marker on those isn't super easy to see. I'll update the notes PDF to highlight this.
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla format accoutrements available

finlayshakespeare
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:42 am

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by finlayshakespeare » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:57 am

tarandfeathers wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:37 am
finlayshakespeare wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:29 am
Turned out to be the 3906 pairs! I has assumed they were symmetrical, but they aren't - teaches me for next time! I'm now basking in quad AD goodness :party:
Excellent! And a good catch - the pin 1 marker on those isn't super easy to see. I'll update the notes PDF to highlight this.
Sure thing! It mainly came from us working with symmetrically paired 3904s... I forget the exact part number, but it's the same footprint, and I had simply made the assumption they were all like that. Of course not :lol:

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by jimfowler » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:33 pm

Worth noting: the pcb silkscreen demarcates polarity for those parts but yeah a note in the BOM or build notes/guide would be helpful.

tarandfeathers
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Dunnington 281D build thread

Post by tarandfeathers » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 am

I've added a note in both the notes and against the line for the transistor pairs in the BOM files.
Dunnington Audio - Various Buchla format accoutrements available

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”