Is a Radio Music breakout module possible?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Wheelbreak
Learning to Wiggle

Is a Radio Music breakout module possible?

Post by Wheelbreak » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:51 pm

I have no idea how to program a teensy. So this is more of a throw it out there and see if someone who does would be interested.

I love my Radio Music module. I just wish I could have a few more functions from the alternative firmwares without losing existing functions. I know the teensy has more inputs than what is used. How hard would it be to make a break out module that added a looping on off switch and a V/oct so you don't lose your start time control? Seems like you could add other inputs/control on, say a 4hp panel, of features I haven't even thought of.

Does Radio Music already stretch the teensy's cpu power as it is? I would love to here how this would work or why it wouldn't from someone with a bit more knowledge of how the module works.

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Is a Radio Music breakout module possible?

Post by batchas » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:05 am

For these mods IMO you'd have to redo the back PCB if you want to make it clean. Cause you'll need to connect to the Teensy pins and to GND and +3.3V. Of course possible to do with flying wires, but less clean.

To answer the question about the loop ON/OFF switch, you only need one pin. As you mentioned there are enough free pins on the RM (like A1 to A5 for instance). One pin of the switch is connected to +3.3V on the circuit, the other pin goes to a resistor connected to GND and to the Teensy pin (A1 for instance). Codewise I don't think it's too difficult to add this switch mod, though we'd need to see how to set the looping on the fly (I guess at the end of the file playing, call a line of code checking the state of the loop on/off switch).
There's enough memory free.
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:41 am

I have some Prok-drums witch are basically just the Radio-Music hardware (with another voltage regulator, and other software on the Teensy) and they have already made an I/O expansion header (that is unused as far as I know).

If somebody can rewrite the Teensy code... I am willing to test if it works. No probs.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 15.32.54.png
BEWARE!!! Don't use your ProK's Teensy!!! Because when you do you will be locked out of using the ProK-firmware... Because that is closed-source. USE A DIFFERENT TEENSY...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wheelbreak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wheelbreak » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:35 pm

What about using an additional voltage in jack to have v/oct along with VC start time? That would actually be the more useful function to me. I wouldn't mind soldering to the teensy pads a wire with a connector or two.

I just looked at the prok-drum modules and if you can easily switch the teensy out to run radio music firmware, I will order one today.

BartBral, have you ever tried running the radio music OS on one of the Prok Drum modules?

I don't want to learn how to code, because I have never done it, but if someone who can could give me an idea about the difficulty of it, I would be willing to try. It seems since someone has already written the code, it would just be a matter of switching the pin?

Once again, curious about how much processing power is left on the teensy once it's loaded up with existing radio music code.

If the breakout box could have the v/oct cv in and knob, loop on off switch, and loop length cv in and knob, this module would be amazing.

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Wheelbreak wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:35 pm
BartBral, have you ever tried running the radio music OS on one of the Prok Drum modules?
To be honest I'm not sure if I tested Radio-Music on the Prok... But I did run the Prok on a Radio-music when I was troubleshooting one of my Prok builds.

I will switch the Teensy now... ...wait a second...

... Yes, It'll work both ways.

I have of course not tested it the most thorough, I switched the Teensy's played some samples, tested if CV-ins are working and the trigger in... And they all work.

I can't really help you out with the software though... I am the most crappy programmer on the face of this earth. So don't count on me. ;)

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:00 pm

EDIT: is the firmware locked from dump?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:54 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:00 pm
I don't know, I've never tried.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:25 am

BartBral wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:54 pm
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:00 pm
I don't know, I've never tried.
No way to dump the code off one of these that I know of. Prok doesn't provide the hex file?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 am

How far did you get dumping the firmware? Did you connect jtag? Does the kit ship with a preprogrammed ic?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Wheelbreak
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wheelbreak » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm

So, I still have put together my Prok module that I bought for this project. I still need to buy the SMD voltage regulator. I did however Hack up the v.2 schematic of the front board of radio music in krita to get what I think is a working schematic. I'm just a little confused about the no Vcc+ and Vcc- ins on the opamp. The schematic does not show them on the schematic of the actual radio music module. Is it something that is implied or will it work without them. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to a lot of this stuff, but I assemble projects pretty consistently. Despite what I would like implemented in the software I have left the ins generic. I basically really only want a v/oct in and a switch to turn looping on and off. Since the Prok expansion gives access to 4 of the teensy ins I thought may as well include them. I don't want to learn to code. It seems like code has already been done and if a working expander is out there, maybe someone can whip together the alterations to make it work. It would include two jack ins, a knob for control, and a switch. Let me know if I have messed this up please! I was planning on just doing this on strip board, but if someone knows how to design a pcb, I would be willing to pay for a small run of prototypes which I could share with the designer. As long as it doesn't get too crazy expensive.

RADIO MUSIC EXPANDER SCHEMATIC.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smiler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smiler » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:12 am
How far did you get dumping the firmware? Did you connect jtag? Does the kit ship with a preprogrammed ic?
The Teensy is hard to dump firmware off by design. People have had success getting SWD running to it but you need to cut a trace to the boot loader chip.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”