AIRTOUCHS a DIY capacitive programable keyboard

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

AIRTOUCHS a DIY capacitive programable keyboard

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:27 am

Hi,

So AIRTOUCHS is a capacitive programable, hackeable keyboard. The specs:

Two octave capacitive, midi out, usb midi out, 8 pots, 8 buttons, extended functions, sequencer, euclidean ridms, programable, hackeable, open source, has OLED screen too. It also does cv out to control modular and a gazillion things more. It has a 4.5V range. Maybe 8V range in fututre, let see.

Implemented: Polyphonic 2 octave capacitive, USB Midi OUT, programable, hackeable. CV Out to play modular, gate OUT, open source for customers and betatesters. Will open source for all people 'soon'.

To Be Implemented: Sequencer (easy), Eucliden Ridms (easy) Midi out by DIN (should be easy, not tested the hardware side yet). Polyphonic aftertouch should be doable (but is not tested). Pressure sensitive (most probably, initial tests working). OLED Screen (hardware running, needs software, easy)

Weird points. Gate Out is around 4.5V so it will need some kind of step up converter to trigger everything. This is easyly hackable with a 1USD step up module. The polyphonic keyboard works phenomenal, is instantaneous but from time to time, let´s say once every 5 minutes, one key wont fire and Im still determining if the bug´s due hatdware or software side and how to fix it. The DAC is not the most accurate in the planet (pt8211), so now it plays in tune (when driving a modular 1v/oct) for one octave. I think I could get it to tune 4-5 octaves with additional software calibration as now I have not implement calibration yet. (The USB MIDI out calibration is perfect, it only affect the 1v/oct side of the modular)

The formats and estimated price ballparks are:

1 Build 150 USD
1 Full Kit 120 USD
1 pcbs 80 USD

Less 30% for betatester discount + 15USD shipping

Currently there´s 2 people interested, so it remains 2 slots for betatest.

I have implemented a 16 bit version of bytebeat in an alternative firmware which sounds pretty cool and I will be demoing in some moment. ATM Im overflowed with the development of OPERA ROTAS and the preparing and shipping orders, so the development of this project is a bit on the air. It could be fast or take a good weeks/months still. Who knows. Time will tell.

Finally I would like to know how does it sound "AIRTOUCHS" in english. Other name that I was considering is SYLPH, as Sylphs are elemental air spirits and it matched with the etherical qualities of an capacitive thing. Ideas and feedback are welcome =D

EDIT: I forgot to say, it uses the same processor as Braids, so theoretically is possible to run Braids on it.
So it will be kind of a microfreak DIY keyboard running standalone Braids instead of Plaits. Theoretically... It would need a wizard developer like Tim Churches or Matthias Puech, (creators of BEES N THE TREES and PARASITES firmwares) to adapt it. Matthias told me that should be possibe but the 20ks of RAM is pretty tight on Braids... Im frankly a bit rookie to adapt it and I have no free time, so, ATM is just an idea.

So this is a call for developers. If you think you could do it, or try, just tell me for us to arrange it , as I would LOVE to do see it done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SphericalSound on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kent
Large Member

Re: AIRTOUCHS a DIY capacitive programable keyboard

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:57 am

"Airtouch", without the "S" would work. You'd better be sure that's not trademarked by Apple or someone though.

"Sylph" is cumbersome to pronounce and not immediately understood. It also sounds a bit too close to "Syphilis".

dcbb
Common Wiggler

Post by dcbb » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 am

Sounds awesome, and I'm very much interested to join beta testing! Shall I get in touch with a PM? Edit: Sent you a PM.

I'd also stay away from anything that sounds Apple like. I remember a case where they went after some small business in Germany for name issue.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:50 am

Kent wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:57 am
"Airtouch", without the "S" would work. You'd better be sure that's not trademarked by Apple or someone though.

"Sylph" is cumbersome to pronounce and not immediately understood. It also sounds a bit too close to "Syphilis".
Invaluable feedback for a non native english. Will take a look at the Airtouch trademark. Thanks!!.

Edit:
AIRTOUCH is a trademark of WORTH BEAUTY LLC. Filed in January 4 (2017), the AIRTOUCH covers cosmetic applicators, namely, rotating cosmetic brushes

No idea of laws, but from cosmetic applicators to DIY synths it´s enought distance to use the name, isnt?

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:57 am

dcbb wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:14 am
Sounds awesome, and I'm very much interested to join beta testing! Shall I get in touch with a PM? Edit: Sent you a PM.

I'd also stay away from anything that sounds Apple like. I remember a case where they went after some small business in Germany for name issue.
Hmmm, I guess this project is way too little for Apple to get upset... but maybe you are right... if anyone has a cool names/ideas/tips just lets brainstorm it. Personally I was in love with the syphylis name :cry:
Last edited by SphericalSound on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 am

I have edit the first post with this info:

I forgot to say, it uses the same processor as Braids, so theoretically is possible to run Braids on it.
So it will be kind of a microfreak DIY keyboard running standalone Braids instead of Plaits. Theoretically... It would need a wizard developer like Tim Churches or Matthias Puech, (creators of BEES N THE TREES and PARASITES firmwares) to adapt it. Matthias told me that it should be possible but the 20ks of RAM are pretty tight on Braids... Im frankly a bit rookie to adapt it and I have no free time, so, ATM is just an idea.

So this is a call for developers. If you think you could do it, or try, just tell me for us to arrange it , as I would LOVE to do see it done.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 am

It is best to keep away from the "Airtouch" name. You have neither the time or money to rebrand the product once the first "cease & desist" memo comes to you.

Just move on.

Trust me. I know this stuff pretty well.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:11 am

What about AIRLECTRICITY?

A bit too complex, isnt?

Hackeyboard... hack-key?

Touchable?

Keystorm?

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 am

Too corny. It does sound like ESL product naming.

You could try Spanish names for "Navigator" or "Pilot" or something related to "board" or "control" or whatever.

My friends call me "Pendejo 3000", so that's taken already.

Eloc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eloc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:51 am

I think you should embrace spanish words (I'm assuming that's your first language?)

Lots of spanish words sound immediately like product names to an english speaker's ear. Most of our 'technical' words are from latin, so spanish words kind of 'ring a bell' without even necessarily knowing the actual definition.

Just going from your 'AirTouch' these spanish words sound cool to me and like they could be (at least part of) a product name:
Tacto (sounds close enough to tactile in english to make that association)
Aire
Some conjugation of tocar: tocado or tocara or something (as you obviously know, that means to play an instrument as well as to touch no? So that's a cool double meaning)

Obviously you'll be better equipped to think of good spanish words... but I just though I'd say from an english speaker's perspective that spanish words sound cool and can be quite easy to remember because they sound close to english words a lot of the time (as you know)

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:59 am

Yeah, what he wrote....

Eloc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eloc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am

Thanks for agreeing Pendejo 3000...

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 am

LOL, thanks, pendejos!! jajjaja. yeah, nice idea... I would have never used spanish for naming but it makes a lot of sense... I will let it dance in my subconscient till it find the match

ETÉREO sounds nice...

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:29 pm

Yeah! That's a nice one... kinda looks like "stereo" too.

Eloc wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am
Thanks for agreeing Pendejo 3000...
Yeah!!!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:37 pm

CapKey

This is now done and overwith, PM me and I'll let you know where I want my royalty checks sent. :)
Last edited by Rex Coil 7 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Kent wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 am
My friends call me "Pendejo 3000", so that's taken already.
Kent wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 am
Better yet, they could just call you shithead, which is Latin for shithead.

8-) :lol: :lol:
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:02 pm

You left out "Mr."

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Kent wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:02 pm
You left out "Mr."
Uh oh ... woops. Totally my bad. So then, shall we go with Mr. Pendejo? Or is it to be Mr. Shithead?

You may not use Mr. Big-Ol'-Sack-O-Peckers ... that's mine, bitch.

:roll: :tu: 8-) :party:

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:34 pm

For you? "Dr. Dong" should suffice.

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Why not airtouch but in Swedish? LUFTBERÖRING
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

prema108
Learning to Wiggle

Post by prema108 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:19 pm

How about some sanskrit name like Apsara, a being of the air maybe similar to what you described, Akash which is air, ether, open space, there's some stories about "akash veena" or the Veena of the Air which was place on the treetops to be played like chimes with the movement of the air, or nature, like a ancient brahminic "sound object". Gadharva which are related to arts, beauty and lyricism.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Yeah, all great concepts. Akash.

Akashic Keyboard

Even 'Sanskrit' is a cool name :D

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:32 am

When you use a plain name -regardless of language- think about how it will result in a google search. For example I just typed "tacto" into google and all the results were spanish to english translation or dictionary sites and there were hundreds of results.

"Airetouches" brought up about ten, and none were exact hits. But two were trademark notifications for "AireTouch" Industrial switches, not hair related.

Leaving out the "e", "Airetouchs" left Google saying there weren't any good matches. I'd go with that one.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:17 am

Kent wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:34 pm
For you? "Dr. Dong" should suffice.
Perfect! :)

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:09 am

Airtouchs in available in my tindie store as a PCB, full kit or assembled unit.

Check the description to see what things are implemented and what would probably not be implemented, unless some of you code it by yourselves. The hardware is open for you to do it and experiemnt if you will

Return to “Music Tech DIY”