Eurorack panels using Eagle.

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

collumn2016
Learning to Wiggle

Eurorack panels using Eagle.

Post by collumn2016 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 pm

HI all, i have been really struggling to make panels using Eagle and have read a lot around here on muffwiggler and other more generalised youtube videos but when i send them off to be made they are always snagged and rejected. I export from dwf read by nanoCad to dxf and use this as a guide for hole placement in Eagle. I am unsure where to put the holes on the hole layer or the drill layer (or vias even?) and also which layers and silkscreen or dimensions etc go one, that will be accepted by PCBWay for example. Would love some kind of basic template for this but cannot find that. I will eventually import bitmaps etc but for now i am using the basic text tool in Eagle for labels. I have tried various company's and sent them dwfs etc and they accepted them but they wanted £200 for 1 or 2 panels. Not sure what it would be for more, but i am not a mass manufacturer and ran away from those guys as way too expensive. I will buy a cnc miller at some stage so i can at least buy aluminium blanks from uk.farnell say and do my own drilling. These are great exercises for developing your own stuff. Have checked most of the posts including the one here viewtopic.php?t=180347 but i am still overwhelmed by this ahs there are different names for different layers and get very confused. Cheers guys.
Last edited by collumn2016 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Re: Eurorack panels using Eagle.

Post by FetidEye » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:06 pm

This is what I do:

holes = 45 holes layer.
silkscreen = 25 tNames layer
dimension = 20 Dimension layer

if you use PCB material:
you can make a groundplane to get a more sturdy panel (less flexible). I usually do without.
Extra layer effects with graphics on the Top layer in combination with the tStop layer
copper , pcb board color (semi transparant)

export as Gerber files with the CAM processor using the CAM file of the factory you are using. (or the directions from their site)
then send it in a zip file to your preferred pcb shop. I use JLCPCB with good results.

For the exact hole locations, refer to the Doepfer Mechanical details page.

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:59 pm

I start with a schematic that is simply a placeholder for the hole and bitmap parts that will make the panel.
Eagles has a holes library. Create a copy of the parts in this library and adjust sizes to your needs. Silkscreen can be composed of multiple layers, bitmaps commonly go on layer 200, and you need to make sure you have those layers selected when exporting in the CAM processor. I created bitmap logos of various sizes added them to a library then I just drag them on the the schematic.

Here's a YouTube that demonstrates a method for importing vector graphics into an Eagle PCB. This is the method I used for my panels.

collumn2016
Learning to Wiggle

Post by collumn2016 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:30 am

HI thank guys, sorry for the late reply i didnt get a notification you had replied. They are really helpful suggestions and hve started a board in eagle using your suggestions but haven't had the time past couple of days. PCBway kept snagging my aluminium prototypes as they did not have a copper layer and they were used to seeing that on the top layer. Is it correct to put a ground plain on that layer? It gets confusing as apart from the gerber view i dont know whether i am doing the right thing or not? Sorry if this sounds dense and rudimentary. This and the following video where the only thing i found that were on my level and helped me a lot to get going with eagle, its been about 4 months on and off with it, so i am definitely a beginner! Thanks for the SVG video too. They are all great stuff and much appreciated little gems. Take it easy!!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:15 pm

the pcb factory will make it if you tell them what you want. tell them blank aluminum PCB no copper layer. when they reject it like that they are basically asking you if this is an error or if this is correct. you are allowed to send it back after they send it back as long as you communicate that everything is correct. say "I have looked at the files again. the files are correct. I do not want a copper layer. this PCB has no electrical connections. copper layer intentionally left blank."
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Music Tech DIY”