PyBoard, MicroPython for audio/eurorack/modular

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

pfzzz
Common Wiggler

PyBoard, MicroPython for audio/eurorack/modular

Post by pfzzz » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:38 am

Anyone have used pyboards to make a module, if so is it open hardware/software ? sources please

If you don't mind tell me your story of pyboard how did you learn, any tips or something useful

I have a PyBoard(ESP32, WROOM32) laying around, and thinking what to do with it, or what's next!

Thank you

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: PyBoard, MicroPython for audio/eurorack/modular

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:54 am

you can drop the python and start coding ESP32 in C. that pyboard is identical to the original ESP32 dev board it was copied from. you can buy them anywhere. I love python but I keep it on the PC windows or linux. I would run python on a raspberry pi. python has very weak data types with no predefined memory size for numerical variables. BIG problem for SMALL microcontrollers. python was an interpreted language that later became a compiled language. however, because of the way the language is designed with all these weak types and undefined memory size, compiled code will sometimes run like runtime code for some instructions and unbounded data. the compiler can not generate optimized code where all the literals and memory sizes are missing.

https://hackaday.com/2016/10/04/how-to- ... the-esp32/
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:27 am

That's the point of micropython though, it's optimized for smaller processors; you can (IIRC at least) even use inline assembler.
That doesn't entirely resolve the question of whether it's a good idea but it is quite cool.

"Something" with python has been on my to-do list forever...
I made a custom stm32f4 board for o_C that I was going to port micropython to but never got around to it.

Perhaps relevant: winterbloom

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 am

Does it require explicit type declaration? You can do this in python 2 or 3 right now. If you start using object oriented methods then this will compile to really bloated binary. The only way micropython would make it better is if they start forcing style and removing features.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:58 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 am
Does it require explicit type declaration? You can do this in python 2 or 3 right now. If you start using object oriented methods then this will compile to really bloated binary. The only way micropython would make it better is if they start forcing style and removing features.
Not sure what the jump to "bloated binary" is but yes, it's pretty lean and mean and for some things only subsets of standard Python are available.
As with anything there are trade-offs (runtime/dev convenience vs. resource use) being made though.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”