Yusynth minimoog VCF resonance levels

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Neon_
Learning to Wiggle

Yusynth minimoog VCF resonance levels

Post by Neon_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 am

Anyone here build a yusynth minimoog filter? I'm putting one in my homebrew model 15 style system and while i wait for the rest of the parts to show up, i'm wondering if it has any compensation built in for the lowered bass and signal levels you usually get from a ladder filter when you turn resonance up. A quick look at the schematic seems to show that this isn't the case, and it behaves like the original does, but every demo iv'e heard of it sounds otherwise. The schematic doesn't show anything else going on in the resonance feedback path that isn't in the actual minimoog filter, so unless there's something going on with that output op amp stage that i'm not seeing, or just the poor audio quality in most demos iv'e seen (plus youtube compression), i can't seem to tell.

I ask because (as dumb as it might sound) i actually really like this design quirk, and i'm kinda used to it to be honest. I love the filter in my Mother 32 and having the bass levels go down helps it sit in the mix so much better (at least to me) when playing a lead, so i'm aiming to tweak the yusynth minimoog vcf to sound as close as i can to the filter in my M32.

Troubleshooter
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Yusynth minimoog VCF resonance levels

Post by Troubleshooter » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 am

Hi, all 3 Yusynth Model-D filter I have done have the original typical bass-drop. I like it as a feature too. No need to worry about it I guess. It can be compensated by patching a feedback loop externally if desired.

Neon_
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Yusynth minimoog VCF resonance levels

Post by Neon_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:53 am

Yeah thats what i figured. I guess the poor video quality of what i was hearing kinda got in the way of really noticing it. Might take up to modifying it depending on how it comes out, mainly just to get it up to par with the M32's filter if it isn'at already.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”