16 pin female-female box-power-header

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

groffcole
Learning to Wiggle

16 pin female-female box-power-header

Post by groffcole » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am

I'm curious, is there such thing as a female-female box header for 16 pin power for eurorack power cables? I want something like the link below, but I want it to be female-female so I can securely extend a power cable during testing:

https://modularaddict.com/max-box16p-par

Thanks.

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Re: 16 pin female-female box-power-header

Post by dot matrix madness » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am

I've seen such socket with two rows, but not the required 2*8 pole.
Maybe look for PCB connectors.
Licenced to solder since 1993

040B
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 040B » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 am

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 pm

The easiest thing to do is get a TipTop or 4ms ribbon power bus cable and cut it into the sections you need. The TipTop μzeus flying busboard spare cable only cost $12 and if chopped in thirds gives you 2 male to male and one male to female "jumpers". The 4ms one cost $14 but will give you one more male to male jumper set (it has 7 male headers and on female. Those male headers are a bit tricky yo find and expensive in small quantities.

When you say "female" do you mean to plug into a male header on a power bus or module? If that is what you want, any spare power connector will work. to extend a standard power ribbon, you will need a male to male to plug another standard connector into, or a male to female to just extend a standard cable without adding another. Any of the standard flying buss power cables will do both jobs.

Another solution I have done if male to male is all you need, is to solder two male headers back to back making an adaptor out of them. Also you can buy dual headers with very long tines on them and push the plastic holders to the middle to make a dual header out of them.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

BartBral
Common Wiggler

Post by BartBral » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm

female2female.jpg
This is how I did it with a 10-pin...

Not sure how the double-sided headers are called though... I once got them with my USB logic analyzer/scope.

- So just stick as many header pins in as you need.
- Stick it in another cable. Be aware of the orientation of the wires... (red stripe)
- Put a rubber band on it.

Works like a charm... for me.

[edit]
Or like this.jpg
This is even more convenient if you have DIL pin-headers already...
just solder some together... than attach and put rubber band on.
[/edit]

[edit][edit]
ersatzplanet wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 pm
Another solution I have done if male to male is all you need, is to solder two male headers back to back making an adaptor out of them. Also you can buy dual headers with very long tines on them and push the plastic holders to the middle to make a dual header out of them.
That's what he said! ;)
[/edit][/edit]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

groffcole
Learning to Wiggle

Post by groffcole » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:25 pm

I’m wanting to convert a 16 pin power cable to a 10 pin power cable. This is for testing purposes when plugging in a module being tested is either 16 or 10 pinned.

I’m thinking a flying bus cable with one output would work. Then I just swap the 16 or 10 pin cables in it.

fitzgreyve
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fitzgreyve » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:03 am

groffcole wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:25 pm
I’m wanting to convert a 16 pin power cable to a 10 pin power cable. This is for testing purposes when plugging in a module being tested is either 16 or 10 pinned.
I have one made from scratch that goes 16-pin, 16 pin, (cable then cut down to 10 way), 10 pin.

If you want to modify an existing cable, take a 16-to-16 pin cable, and add an additional 10-pin connector to it (relatively) close to one end. If you are careful, you can split the "10 pin" side of the cable from the remaining 6 connectors, and insert an additional 10 pin connector.
Under developement:
- "Muse" (nearly ready for release!)
---------------------------------------
https://fitzgreyve2.blogspot.com/

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 am

Maybe if you search for male male coupler wire wrap 2.54mm pitch. Search IDC or wire wrap or pin header but not all at the same time.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Music Tech DIY”