Lyra-8 DIY expansion and panels

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Lyra-8 DIY expansion and panels

Post by D.Tilbury » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Looks like a candy sampler platter
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

LegWyne
Learning to Wiggle

Post by LegWyne » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:17 pm

fyi, if anyone needs to source 1P8T switches for this I think you can probably just use Alpha 1P12T rotary switches as they are described as having a tab for setting the total number of positions. Im pretty sure Tayda stock these for cheap.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:31 am

LegWyne wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:17 pm
fyi, if anyone needs to source 1P8T switches for this I think you can probably just use Alpha 1P12T rotary switches as they are described as having a tab for setting the total number of positions. Im pretty sure Tayda stock these for cheap.
Yes, but they won't line up with the legends on the panel.

I have the 1P8T switches available...they're the exact same ones that are available from Adafruit.
----------------------

Flounderguts

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:45 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:31 am
LegWyne wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:17 pm
Yes, but they won't line up with the legends on the panel.

I have the 1P8T switches available...they're the exact same ones that are available from Adafruit.
I can see my future weekends blowing away in the wind.....netflix and binge building.

:sb:
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:32 am

shop is open to people on the list! Let me know if you didn't get a PM :despair:

For anyone that missed the first batch, a 2nd will be available after Aug 30...and shop will be public. Also, I'm hosting build documentation, gerbers, and other info as well as parts and panels.
----------------------

Flounderguts

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:04 am

Cool! These look amazing.

I'm trying to grok how the expansion wing boards relate mechanically to the expanded panel - do they mount flush to the underside of the panel, (or with short standoffs)? That's kind of what I'm parsing from the images, but finding it a bit tricky to tell - if so - then are nuts fitted to capture these rather than the outermost panel? Mainly curious, and wanting to confirm if it's correct understanding that a full setup includes both the expanded panel and those wing boards.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:46 am

teleport, you've got it right.
The wings are touching the front panel, the same way the Lyra control pcb touches the panel.

One of the issues with using 1.6mm pcb material (which is called FR4) is that it is flexible...especially over 19 inches! Attaching the wings and the Lyra control board, and then clamping down with all those switches and pots stiffens the panel a LOT.

As a matter of fact, I'm finding that the IO panel is a bit flexy, and I have a plan to deal with that.

You are not required to use the expansion front panel with the wings, but they do match up. You could buy just the wings, and then fab your own panel, or even put them in a separate case altogether.

I designed it this way because I wanted to put it in my rack setup. I'd say it fit perfectly, but it's actually *awfully* tight...like tenths of a mm!

I'd just like to point out that the Lyra main board mounts above (or behind) the control board, on standoffs. I didn't want to drill holes for screws in the panel, but they *are* marked on the backside. Instead, what I did was use some JB Weld (or any decent epoxy) to glue a set of standoffs to the front panel, and then mount the mainboard on those.

I will post some pics as soon as I get a chancet to pull mine out of my rack system. I stuck it in there for pix on the website.

One of the issues I ran into was having all my knobs way too high with the pots I had. I actually used a nut (or 4 washers in some cases) on the backside of the panel so that I had just enough thread to get a good grip with the nut. Once you solder the legs into place, that pot ain't goin' nowhere!

So technically, the full setup is 4 pieces...the wings, the expansion front, and the IO panel.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:52 pm

First post updated with links to Build Guide and BOM
----------------------

Flounderguts

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:52 pm
:party:

Stoneyards
Common Wiggler

Post by Stoneyards » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:23 am

Right on!
Flounderguts wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:52 pm

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:18 am

Got my panels and PCBs, they look great! Also, thanks for including links to the parts in the BOM, that's a nice touch.

Just to be clear - wherever there is a PTSM connector on the expansion pcbs, these are where we run wires that take the place of the components on the main PCB, right?

I'm thinking of just getting some of these assuming 12" is long enough - for those of us who are 2L2C (Too Lazy To Crimp :mrgreen: ) and then putting perpendicular single pin headers at the main pcb connection points as suggested in the build doc.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:12 pm

Some of the runs are longer than 12". I ordered some 50 cm wires to try...female to male. Then the female end can go to the board header, and the male can go in the ptsm...or get soldered to the pad
The ptsm don't require crimping...you just push a bare wire in...I found it easier to tin stranded wire for that, or use solid core hookup wire.
But yes, the pads 1 and 2 are where you hookup...the outer pads are for mechanical strength
----------------------

Flounderguts

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:07 am

OUUU my panel is on the way! Thank you Flounderguts :tu:
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:33 pm

Wings are sold out...more will be available in about 2 weeks (maybe less, c'mon FedEx!!)

Also, to address the flexiness of the IO panel, I just finished a version with expanded panel and IO built into one.

If you downloaded Gerbers, look for updated versions in the next few days...I tweaked them a bit after my first build.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Nofrets
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nofrets » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:47 am

Just received my front panel today. It’s drop-dead gorgeous!!! I can’t wait for cooler weather so I’ll have time to start the build.

@Flounderguts - thank you so much for making this happen!

4floorsofwhores
Common Wiggler

Post by 4floorsofwhores » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 am

I'd love two standard panels/ io
They look amazing
Careful now

pendergast
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pendergast » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:20 am

Hi, just got the panel. I wasn't sure and at some point, I even thought of not buying it. That would have been a been big mistake. It is absolutely gorgeous!!!!@Flounderguts: Thank you!

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Same same! God DAMN these things are pretty. Big thanks to you flounderguts!
Soundcloud

Gwengolo
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Gwengolo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:50 am

Very nice project. Is there any demo of it on YouTube ? I would love to hear the new possibilities .

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 am

Gwengolo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:50 am
Very nice project. Is there any demo of it on YouTube ? I would love to hear the new possibilities .
Working on it.
----------------------

Flounderguts

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:01 am

Looking so fly

PSU comes in today, let's hope this thing boots up :eek:
Soundcloud

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 pm

Here's some more eye candy...I'd appreciate feedback.

First, here's the new Integrated Expansion front panel

integrated constellation 1.jpg

The original concept works great, but I had to glue aluminum to the back of the IO panel because it was so flexy. This solution helps mitigate the flex and adds a couple of panel screws for stiffness. These are in stock, and they were a bit cheaper to make than the panel and IO boards separately, so the price is a bit lower!

Next, I had fun designing a touch pad for the Lyra, so that people who don't want to use DIN screws don't have to. I thought a mandala-type round pad would look cool, and they turned out pretty well IMO!
NODIN PAD RENDER.jpg

I used the DIN pads to redesign the standard panel a bit...I haven't decided to make these yet...if enough people want me to, I'll order a set.
Here's the rendering:
NODIN STANDARD RENDER.jpg

In this version, I also tied the grounds from the FB and VIBRATO switches (which are prone to humming) to the grounding of the pads...it's a big 2mm trace, and I'm planning to put this in all the future panels.
HAMMOND BACK RENDER.jpg

That last (blue) pic is actually the back of the panel I designed to fit a Hammond Case (see first post, updated Sept 16).

Here's the front:
HAMMOND PANEL RENDER.jpg
There is a lot of extra space in the Hammond enclosure. Once we have identified the best mods, maybe I'll add a little section built in that you can drill and connect switches or a set of pots to.

Actually, if you look at the pic of the back, you can see where I provided drill guides and solder pads to install toggles to short the switches...I'm not sure how well coins will work on the touch pads.

Comments? Improvements? Graphic changes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Nofrets
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nofrets » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 am

steviet wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:01 am
PSU comes in today, let's hope this thing boots up :eek:
I’ve just started gathering parts. Where’s a good source for a power supply, if you don’t mind?

Thanks!

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:24 am

Nofrets wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 am
I’ve just started gathering parts. Where’s a good source for a power supply, if you don’t mind?

Thanks!
I used a "PPL18U-120" (that's the manufacturer product #). I grabbed mine from Digikey! Here's a link:

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/deta ... sAGEAugL5A

I can also verify it works beauty with the build. Had my LYRA-8 singing last night :tu:

Flounderguts wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:50 pm
Here's some more eye candy...I'd appreciate feedback.
Man, that's a beautiful panel. Love the built in grounds, and I really love the built in DIN pads. I'm having a hell of a time sourcing thumbscrews that wont cost me :75: a screw.

If I was looking to get a sibling for my current LYRA-8 I'd be all over it. I think there's a market for these panels... I'd post again in the main thread. Or I can post for you if you don't feel like plugging it yourself :sb:

My next endeavor will be finding some housing for this puppy. I want to almost do some sort of clear acrylic... so you can see the guts. I'll have to figure out how to make 3D models that aren't from TinkerCad... but that's a job for another day!

Thanks again Flounderguts, you're the man!
Soundcloud

whyfarer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whyfarer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:49 pm

two questions:

1) anyone have 8 extra B5M 24mm pots I could buy?
2) if not, anyone want to go in on an order with me? Jameco seems to be the only supplier and they have a minimum order service charge bringing the order to $20 if it is below $20 (which 8 pots is). Instead of paying $25 to get 8 pots, I could do a mini group buy for those of us that are interested. Let me know - I'd like to order over the weekend if possible.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”