Living VCO Antumbra Panel - Anybody Interested?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Living VCO Antumbra Panel - Anybody Interested?

Post by ashley27 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:39 am

I have two Living VCO modules but have never been that keen on the panel design. In light of this I asked David @ Antumbra to design a panel and the end result looks great! Phil @ Pusherman has kindly offered to get the panels made up in the usual black anodised aluminium. I thought I should put this to the forum to see if anybody else is interested in a panel. Once I have numbers I can get a quote from Phil. David designed the panel for a minimal fee so I would like to add a small amount to the price of each panel to cover this, plus extra for him providing the final cost per panel is still reasonable. No worries if nobody is interested as I can get as small a number as two panels made. I have attached two pics, one is of the original panel I am currently using and one is of the newly designed Antumbra panel. It will be as simple as hot swapping the two. I'll leave this post up for a week or so to see if it generates any interest.

Any takers?
Ash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coolcuts
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Living VCO Antumbra Panel - Anybody Interested?

Post by coolcuts » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:14 am

Count me in, responded to fb too.

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:39 am

David has come up with an alternative panel design. Is this preferable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:06 am

Possible to get PCB's from pusherman as well? Looks like a cool project but seems like PCB's aren't available? Gerbers somewhere?

I'd pick up a panel/pcb combo.

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:39 am

Random Source sell panels and PCBs, maybe they have exclusive license to do so? I presume this to be the case...

synchromesh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synchromesh » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:21 pm

ashley27 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:39 am
Random Source sell panels and PCBs, maybe they have exclusive license to do so? I presume this to be the case...
Some background on this project: back in 2013, logicgate started the J.Haible's Living VCO for Eurorack topic and eventually posted Gerber files for (their own layout of) the voice PCBs. Then barcode refined the design and contributed the driver PCB. Various group buys for PCBs were set up, along with a build thread in June 2014. Come October, LeftyLogic offered a group buy for FR4 and aluminium Eurorack panels (after various panel designs were proposed).

While all this was going on, nordlead (i.e. Ralf of Random*Source) was doing the hard yards with the courts and lawyers sorting out the status of the late Jürgen Haible's intellectual property and then setting up commercial production so that Jürgen's family might receive some income from this part of Jürgen's estate. This led to (amongst other things) the Haible Living VCOs R*S Edition PCB, panel & panel PCB (all currently out of stock, unfortunately) with a number of additions and modifications (as is the R*S style).

So on the one hand Jürgen did originally publish his designs, schematics etc. on his website and apparently didn't mind people reproducing his designs non-commercially in the "spirit of DIY". But yes, now (as I understand it) Random*Source do indeed have an exclusive license to manufacture Jürgen's designs so that his family can directly benefit.

Where that leaves a particular panel design for this project I couldn't say, I just thought it would be useful to gather some links together so that people can decide for themselves.

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Wow thats a lot of good information, thank you! I will write Ralf and see if there is any thought of doing another run, That’s pretty awesome he helped the family in that way. If I get any good information back I’ll follow up, or perhaps he’ll chime in here.

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:16 am

Great info. Thanks! Having a good looking panel design on the cards has definitely given me a kick up the arse to finish my living VCO builds.

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:49 am

Hey so this is the agreed final panel layout. Last call for takers.

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:55 am

It's a different layout than initially suggested but decidedly a better one, as discussed on the Pusherman FB group.

supervalued
Learning to Wiggle

Post by supervalued » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:11 pm

ashley27 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:55 am
It's a different layout than initially suggested but decidedly a better one, as discussed on the Pusherman FB group.
Hey, how deep is the module going to be and what PCBs are going to fit?

synchromesh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synchromesh » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:59 pm

I'd be in for one, possibly two or three depending on the price - I do already have a number of the original panels... :cloud:

Thanks to all concerned for putting this together! I assume we'll just get them through Phil's site? Or will you be doing this as an "old-school" group buy?

ashley27
Common Wiggler

Post by ashley27 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 am

Synchromesh, shall I put you down for 3 or none? It’s a hot swap for the older Barcode PCBs

synchromesh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synchromesh » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:01 am

Just the one panel then, thanks.

supervalued
Learning to Wiggle

Post by supervalued » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm in for 1 panel, thank you

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:11 am

price? Pretty sure I'm in for 1.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”