Moog Memorymoog sucessfully cloned

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Moog Memorymoog sucessfully cloned

Post by tobb » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Luismarka wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:21 am
I could had placed 3 voices in one larger board instead of 3 separated boards, sharing cabling for power and a control signals,
Awesome project

Tip: avoid for your own purpose large pcb's,its all fine,cut costs etc,but large boards that heats up = more distension of the board = higher risk to cracks in long traces (after 30y cooling/heating).

If you wanna do large boards draw long traces ' repeated sawtooth or angled 'staircase' like ,but with no right angles of course) and use thicker PC material.

Luismarka
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Luismarka » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 pm

Starting to look better in the new chassis. Cannot believe I forgot to purchase the spacers to mount the PCBs! Crap.

I will try a different arrangement for the boards: in the original Memorymoog the voice cards are mounted in hinged spacers to give access to the trimpots for calibration. However, there is no need to lift the boards in my prototype because all trimpots are mounted along the front and back edges of the boards. Instead, think it will be easier to calibrate if I assemble the Contour/Glide at the top because it is pretty hard to reach for its trimpots and measurement points right now, under the voice cards. Another advantage is that now the slots to access VCO trimpots will be closer to the bottom of the rear panel, and will not interfere with the big "MEMORYMOOG" at the back.

Cheers!
20200728_204550.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Luismarka on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 pm

Wow, it's really shaping up nicely. Keep at it mate!
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 am

I am in awe, sir. AWE.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 am

This, is absolutely, without a doubt, stunning.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am

bphenix wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:36 pm
Wow.

This has to be the most epic "Hi, I'm new here" post I've seen on Muffs in years.
... no shit .... kicks the door open, standing with both hands on hips and proclaims "iight bitches ... I'm here now, fuckin got that shit? Who's Moog? Pffft ... punk ass bitch ... where's my beer! ... why is my beer hand not tended too!!?? (grabs nearby girl by the arm) c'mere and sit on daddy's lap .. check out this here synth ...."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

AlanP
Ultra Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:25 am

I don't know why, but this is triggering my DIY-lust in a way that even Acme's Jupiter clone does not.

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 am

Incredible work!
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

snowday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snowday » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am

AlanP wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:25 am
I don't know why, but this is triggering my DIY-lust in a way that even Acme's Jupiter clone does not.
Same here, this is so impressive! Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 am

Oh Boy! What a great project. Kudos.

Some of you know that I was a Moog repair center here in NJ in those days, and I used to dread getting a MM for repair. The customer would say something about tuning or just now working, or partially working.

Of course when I opened it up, everything was fine. Then when I closed it, it stopped again. (Or something the direct opposite of that.) They were servicing nightmares IMHO. Bad connectors, intermittent flex cables - you name it.

I'm really glad to see the honor of the original design philosophy in a modern updated form. Sincere congrats!
Doug Slocum
Synthetic Sound Labs
www.steamsynth.com
------------
"I guess all the Forest Mims Radio Shack books I read finally paid off!"
"I ordered twice as many _______ as I thought I'd need, only to find out that I'm still less than half way to having enough."
"...this whole thing was started by a dream and a mouse." - Walt Disney
"Flatulence sounds aren't just for brass and reed instruments anymore, thanks in large part to Dr Moog." - Ockeghem

Exhale
Common Wiggler

Post by Exhale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 am

Luismarka wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:21 am

I am no electronics expert, just a hobbyist, and it is a VERY complex circuit. Lots of room for error!
This sentence prooves that you are delicate and humble person.
But .... for hobbyist ... this is definitely very tough project.
You're surely near pro level.
Just a "Monkey see, monkey do" method doesn't provide such a phenomenal output.
Great job !
It's unbelievebale ;)))
:sb: :sb: :sb:

It's funny, because I also transfered the whole service manual to Kicad, and planned to do a clone.
But not so soon, right now there's no gas to fund such an ambitious project like this.
I have a plan to build clones of some of my favorite vintage synths.
Sounds crazy, but ... it's fun and ... taking to a count the cost of original ones, it seems very reasonable.
When I had some question regarding DMUX board connector I decided to google the hi res picture of DMUX board
and seems like I've found your blog.

https://memorymoogclone.home.blog/

And realized, that ... I'm not the only one, in a good sense )

My main question is ... shall your project become open source for other DIYers ?

This topic is a great source of inspiration and motivation.
I'm sure your MM will perform outstanding and definitely won't suffer from original issues that much.
As far as I understood you have no plan yet to MIDIfy your unit ?
DO NOT go the path of plus version... Sluggish 16th note perfomance guaranteed.
I had a chance to rent a PLUS version for a studio session once, it was awful ;(
The only paths are LAMM or Kenton. Expensive, but worth it I guess.

Audiohub
Common Wiggler

Post by Audiohub » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:57 pm

Really nice job!
Having the trim pots accessible without having to open the case is a great idea, this should allow for much more accurate calibrations, and make it easier to maintain them going forward. :yay:

Thanks for sharing!
Visit my synth blog...Moogs and more!
www.synthguy.com

kumakuma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kumakuma » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:00 pm

Wwwoooow

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:12 am

Speaking as someone who professionally repaired vintage polysynths, please relocate the battery away from any pcb. They're ticking time bombs and if/when they leak, unleash a cancer that eats traces on the pcb - even after replacing and cleaning (eg. Polysix).

In any case, fabulous work!
http://sneak-thief.com - raw electro-funk!

masterofstuff124
Wiggling with Experience

Post by masterofstuff124 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Most excellent!

Luismarka
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Luismarka » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Exhale wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 am

My main question is ... shall your project become open source for other DIYers ?

This topic is a great source of inspiration and motivation.
I'm sure your MM will perform outstanding and definitely won't suffer from original issues that much.
As far as I understood you have no plan yet to MIDIfy your unit ?
Plan is to make all files available. Thing is, right now it is a bit messy: sometimes I make a change in some board and do not annotate it back in the schematics/board layout; or, I make some annotation in the actual printed version of the schematics and do not updated the .PDF file with the schematics, and vice versa. So if I make the files available, I cannot make 100% sure they are error free. Of couse, if errors are found I can update the files later. Probably I will create a shared Google Drive folder with the files, have not decided yet.

Think my best option is to get a Kenton MIDI kit, indeed the Plus board looked pretty bad and I decided not to clone that.

As far as I can see, this prototype is more stable than the Memorymoog I used to have many years ago. However, that unit did not have the autotune update, which is included in my project.

Anyway, I should receive a batch of board spacers early next week, so I will be able to assemble the electronics in the final configuration, with correct cable lengths, etc. So far I assembled the (still unpainted) front metal plate and it is starting to look Memorymoog-ish! The pitch and mod wheels still cannot be attached in place because I still have to order the brackets to hold the potentiometers in the correct positions.

Never mind the wood supports under the panel boards; they are temporary, I only mounted those because I was running out of real estate in my desk! Needed the room for the calibrations.

Cheers!
20200801_181910.jpg

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:13 pm

:woah: Thou art DIY god :hail: :hail: :hail:

ultravox
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultravox » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Luismarka wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Never mind the wood supports under the panel boards; they are temporary, I only mounted those because I was running out of real estate in my desk! Needed the room for the calibrations.

20200801_181910.jpg
Don't sweat it mate, apparently Moog does their mockups the same way. :tu:
This means nothing to me... Oh, Vienna!

Luismarka
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Luismarka » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:23 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am
bphenix wrote:
Wow.

This has to be the most epic "Hi, I'm new here" post I've seen on Muffs in years.
... no shit .... kicks the door open, standing with both hands on hips and proclaims "iight bitches ... I'm here now, fuckin got that shit? Who's Moog? Pffft ... punk ass bitch ... where's my beer! ... why is my beer hand not tended too!!?? (grabs nearby girl by the arm) c'mere and sit on daddy's lap .. check out this here synth ...."
Was thinking about making a short video explaining what this prototype is about. Here I have the script, thanks Rex Coil 7!!

Luismarka
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Luismarka » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Audiohub wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:57 pm
Really nice job!
Having the trim pots accessible without having to open the case is a great idea, this should allow for much more accurate calibrations, and make it easier to maintain them going forward. :yay:

Thanks for sharing!
I was planning to do the same thing to my Memorymoog back in the day, placing them at the slots available for the Plus expansion in the rear panel. I gave up when I realized it would require some 126 wires to connect the trimpot terminals to the voice cards...

tigerhill
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tigerhill » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:33 pm

bphenix wrote:
Wow.

certainly beats mine in which I asked a "what should I buy?"...

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:48 am

Thanx a lot for sharing here.
Very impressive. DIY at its best :sb:
-----------------------------------
Batchas website
Bandcamp page

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:41 am

Luismarka wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:23 pm
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am
bphenix wrote:
Wow.

Was thinking about making a short video explaining what this prototype is about. Here I have the script, thanks Rex Coil 7!!
Glad to help out. :)

I have a very ~visual~ sense of humor which (most times) translates very poorly over typed words or phone telecons ... I sortof go into little character voices at times, facial expressions and body language are all a part of the gag-ery. Boil all of that down to just the words and it's pretty crappy, and can be offensive sometimes simply because I'm not in person adding all of the visual/vocal nuances. So I'm glad ~this one time~ it worked. Hell, it even makes me laugh! Feel free to do whatever you like with the joke there.

:)
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Uh-maze-balls! :hail:

When did you begin the project? How long has it taken you to get this far?

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:09 am

This is getting epic

Return to “Music Tech DIY”