Cheap pot caps for cheap pots

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Cheap pot caps for cheap pots

Post by whoop_john » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 am

I don't know if any of you use this style of pot which has a plastic shaft and screwdriver slot. I was looking for something to make them look a little better and found these caps on Aliexpress in the Jewellery section. They are shiny stainless steel. While not very deep, they do cap the knobs off well and, more to the point for my application, they don't take up much space width-wise.

Aliexcuse link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000943201755.html

'tis the pigeons that alight
on Nelson's hat that makes it white

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: Cheap pot caps for cheap pots

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:08 am

on a hot sweaty day no I don't think I would enjoy the upgrade. no friction. if you could get brass knurled caps that would be different. Chromium and vanadium is banned for making handles by chinese martial arts practitioners. they believe the chromium and vanadium contained in SS in contact with human hands leads to health problems. if you don't think this is true then ignore it. I don't want to start a debate about chinese medicine in your knob thread.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

jorg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jorg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:28 am

They are pretty! I agree they might be troublesome if the fingers are sweaty, but many might not consider that to be a big issue.

If stainless is bad for you, I am doomed.

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 pm

How much do you people perspire? These are perhaps for ambient chill use only then. Seriously, they are going to be absolutely fine for me - I don't need vice grips to get them to turn. I'll ask my Chinese medicine practitioner and martial art teachers about the chrome and vanadium.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm

whoop_john wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 pm
How much do you people perspire? These are perhaps for ambient chill use only then. Seriously, they are going to be absolutely fine for me - I don't need vice grips to get them to turn. I'll ask my Chinese medicine practitioner and martial art teachers about the chrome and vanadium.
Haha! I like them! I have been using a 3D printer to knob those but these look so much nicer, I'm getting some
BTW which ones? 5 or 6mm?
I bet those 3mm's would work for 6x6 push button covers wow

whoop_john
Veteran Wiggler

Post by whoop_john » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:03 am

Sandrine wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm
Haha! I like them! I have been using a 3D printer to knob those but these look so much nicer, I'm getting some
I bought the 6mm internal diameter caps. Good idea about the 3mm ones for tactile buttons, Sandrine.

pjbulls
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pjbulls » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 am

I discovered recently that the Chinese version of the Thonk 'micro' T18 cap (such as found here) also fits this type of pot perfectly, better than an actual T18 handle for which these particular knobs did not seem to be designed.

They're not very grippy - neither are Thonk's - but I like the look of them very much, and they're quite affordable as well!

stepvhen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stepvhen » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:26 pm

whoop_john wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:33 pm
This is an amazing post out of context.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:08 am
on a hot sweaty day no I don't think I would enjoy the upgrade. no friction. if you could get brass knurled caps that would be different. Chromium and vanadium is banned for making handles by chinese martial arts practitioners. they believe the chromium and vanadium contained in SS in contact with human hands leads to health problems. if you don't think this is true then ignore it. I don't want to start a debate about chinese medicine in your knob thread.
I dunno, reasonably on-topic in a knob thread; it's quite big on dried tiger knob, after all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_penis

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:12 pm

whoop_john wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:03 am
Sandrine wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm
I bought the 6mm internal diameter caps. Good idea about the 3mm ones for tactile buttons, Sandrine.
Well they're on order, hope they come before 2021, we'll see if they fit

Return to “Music Tech DIY”