translucent LED slider caps- samples available

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

synthcube
you will be assimilated

translucent LED slider caps- samples available

Post by synthcube » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:04 pm

In collaboration with JMLS we have developed a custom translucent LED slider cap. Originally for our TTSH project, it's like nothing we have seen elsewhere. We hope people will love the look and feel. We are expecting the first full run of these caps for stock any day now.

We want to build a list of the modules that use LED sliders and would be compatible with the fit. So we are offering the following promotion:

1) We will send you samples of the sliders- enough for you to test on one of your modules that use sliders. (DIY or manufactured modules OK)
2) All you have to do is email us, and cover postage via paypal; the sample sliders are free. Let us know the name of the module and how many sliders it uses . Postage for US is $3, Canada $4, other outside US $8
3) Try them on your module of choice. Take a picture (or short vid) and post it in this thread. Share your opinion-- 'looks and fits great', 'doesn't fit', 'fits but doesn't look great', etc-- share your feedback.

Ultimately, we'll build a list of modules for which the slider caps are compatible (for this thread and for the webstore)

newsliders3.jpg
newsliders2.jpg
newsliders1.jpg

Fine print: before we send you samples we need to fill all the open orders for the TTSH project. Samples will go out after that, in the order we receive the email requests and paypal postage for them.
The sample offer can be cancelled or modified at any time.

OP edit: List of modules where these caps have been tested for fit by the end user and found to be compatible:

TTSH (all versions)
Intellijel Metropolis
Intellijel Mutamix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by synthcube on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Re: translucent LED slider caps- samples available

Post by Triglav » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:21 pm

That looks great! 👍
The only thing I'm not sure about is the arrow at the base. Seems like it would cover the panel legend.

amir
Common Wiggler

Post by amir » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm

The arrow is insanely large and the rest seem a bit too bulky to retrofit on any module. From the pics it looks too large even on the ttsh. The cutout is also strange with the rounded edges when the actual led is rectangular in shape underneath and not even sitting flush with the opening. Sorry if that sounds harsh, must be hard getting these made, but if you’re going to put so much work in it, these seem more like prototypes rather than finished products.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Have to agree with the above comments. Shrink that arrow.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 am

That arrow's a match for the 2600 it copies. Where it also covers the legend.
As seen here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:01 am

Didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up.

amir
Common Wiggler

Post by amir » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am

So we copy mistakes? The original didn’t have leds might as well cover those holes then! Regardless that arrow is too large in proportion to the cap size even in comparison to the real arp. Shrink it down.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:44 pm

These are now available and in stock---

https://synthcube.com/cart/led-slider-c ... ay-snap-on

We have samples going out to a number of people to try on various synth modules and we'll keep updating the thread with compatibility.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:07 pm

As one of the folks who got to test drive various versions of these during development, I'd advise actually testing them before making pronouncements about the size of this or that aspect. The photos don't do complete justice. They work really well on the devices I have here - they're proportioned really nicely.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:59 am

amir wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am
So we copy mistakes? The original didn’t have leds might as well cover those holes then! Regardless that arrow is too large in proportion to the cap size even in comparison to the real arp. Shrink it down.
Yes the ARP2600 was obviously a mistake. But please do tell us about all your design accomplishments. Even if your comments were with merit (which they aren’t), no need to be such a dick about it.

I’ve said this before, these look great and I can’t wait to fit them on my TTSH.

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 pm

Thanks @KSS,@sduck, @search64.

I had to work through a few engineering challenges with the molder because of the type of plastic we chose to use to get that translucent effect. After lots of prototypes we finally got it. So I apologize for how long it took and to anyone that was waiting on these (COVID didn't help either). The injection molder was pounding their head against the wall because they were extremely frustrated. For such a little part it threw everyone for a loop! The combination of material, size, and custom color was tricky. Perseverance won out in the end and I'm really happy with the product and really happy we didn't throw in the towel on these.

I think they should work on the CMS/Synthchaser lumina upgrades as long as the slider pot lever is high enough and away from the front panel.

I would like to shrink it for Eurorack (This cap will work on some Eurorack modules but not all). If anyone has any suggestions for what size the Eurorack version should be, I'm all ears. I'd definitely like to keep some kind of pointer on it - either a nub in the middle or somehow shrink the pointer. Synthcube was estimating a Eurorack version needs to be about 60-70% of the size of the this slider cap. I know it will have to be smaller in height as well because the levers look like they are closer to the panel on Eurorack modules. Does anyone have a guesstimate to how high off the panel the LED lever sits for MOST Eurorack modules???

For the BARP Odyssey and 2600 I think the Eurorack version will work, or I can alter the original and make an offshoot just for BARPs similar to what would be done with a new Eurorack version. I tried them on my BARP Oddy and the caps were too tall and scraped the front panel. The width/girth was fine but you couldn't put the cap all the way down on the slider.

Thanks all, I hope you enjoy them.

Jim

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm

not every one may go for this look, but here's a beefier version of the NV Klee with a little more 'weight' on the sliders

klee with sliders.jpg

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:58 pm

here's a picture from our friend and customer Tim Heffield showing off the caps on his project:

heffield korg sliders.jpg

aquatarkus
Common Wiggler

Post by aquatarkus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:28 pm

Here is a quick pic that Lisa Bella Donna took for me of her TTSH with the slider caps installed. Should give a good idea on the spacing. As I get more pics, I will post them.
Lisa TTSH lit.jpg

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:37 pm

The earlier posts were right. They look blocky and too big.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Jim the Oldbie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:01 am

Lisa's pic really shows what I think is the obvious issue here: the TTSH panel is scaled down in various significant ways from the 2600 - spacing between the sliders in particular - and yet the knobs are not, making them look kinda Dr.-Martens-y on the TTSH.*

Would it make sense to shrink the overall size of the new knobs by roughly the same ratio as that of the relative panel sizes? But of course that would just complicate things - these knobs would probably look fine on the (full-sized) 1601 clone, for example. Besides, lots of people dig Doc Martens.

*(Now I'm sitting here contemplating the various global consequences of Dr. Martens boots with LEDs IN THE HEELS...)

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:42 am

The problem is that the LED sliders shafts are significantly wider in the travel direction to begin with, compared to the Old CTS used in original 2600's.
You *can't* scale them properly in this 'blade' direction for this reason. You *could* scale them in the pointer direction, but then they'll not be much different than the clear caps and round rectangle types already being sold to improve the feel of the LED sliders. They'll look oddly squashed.

I'm personally not a fan of the translucent material -which seems to have caused so much problems too- because it shows multiple reflections, like a house of mirrors. I figure this could be handled on an individual basis with a large razor-shaved sharpie marker to selectively black out the multiple directions.

But they just kind of look fugly on any but the full size panels. So probably good for a lumina upgraded OG 2600. But not my cup of tea elsewise.

They'll probably also be okay on the super-sized LS David modules, if those ever come to reality for more than the initial few.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”