Erica Synths Pico III - Decapitated!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ea67
Learning to Wiggle

Erica Synths Pico III - Decapitated!

Post by ea67 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:08 pm

I got a great deal on an Erica Synths Pico System III that had been returned by a customer. I expected issues, and when I tested it, found that the BBD circuit was dead. A few days later, I found a stray surface mount EL cap in the bottom of my skiff -- that appeared to fit quite nicely, in a conspicuously vacant silkscreen outline residing in no other than the BBD circuit. Worst of all, the pads were ripped clean from the board. So, not a super-fun repair to consider.

I'm not worried about targeting blame -- there's at least some chance that I inadvertently whacked the cap against the edge of my skiff while loading it (although I like to believe I'm much more careful than that.) More than anything, I'm just trying to determine:

1) the chances of pulling off a repair like this
2) how common it is for ER modules to use single-layer boards, and whether Erica Synths might specifically do so.

Most of this I can figure out for myself, given additional effort, but it never hurts to listen to the experiences of others.

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Erica Synths Pico III - Decapitated!

Post by guest » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:17 pm

if i understand the problem correctly, the fix shouldnt be that bad. find the trace(s) that went to the ripped off pad, and scrape a bit of the solder mask off it. put your capacitor in place, and hotglue it down. bend the legs of the capacitor so they touch the cleaned traces, and solder to them.

[EDIT] just saw that its SMT. that a bit trickier. i would just replace with a THMT version for easier soldering.
openmusiclabs.com

ea67
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ea67 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:30 am

Thanks for the info. Sorry no pic -- I actually haven't gotten the module on the bench, yet. Once I get a closer look, I'll have a better sense of what shade of fuqt we're looking at. The traces appear to be ultra teensy -- hopefully my limited magnification is adequate for working at this scale.

XANi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XANi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Other method would be finding where the trace ends and using thin wire to connect it directly to a part on same trace. I'd also not recommend hot glue, it's not exactly super durable

Return to “Music Tech DIY”