A broken C64 and a raspberry pi 4 combined into a generative techno groovebox (puredata algorithm)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

oli303
Learning to Wiggle

A broken C64 and a raspberry pi 4 combined into a generative techno groovebox (puredata algorithm)

Post by oli303 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:21 am

I have been experimenting for more than a year with generative music.
I created the diy hard & software for an interactive & humorous musical act called "Techno Tafel" last year and continued experimenting with these types of algorithms and techniques, which resulted in a "sort off" groovebox. I modded a broken C64 and used it as the new casing for a pi4 driven musical device.

All of the dsp (synth/drum/fx/mix/mastering) & generative sequencer algorithms have been implemented from scratch using puredata.

Video of demo set :

Off course this is still a work in progress, so future versions will have more variations, sounds, tricks and human control.

Techno Tafel link (old version) :
https://cirq.be/act/technotafel-coronaproof

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: A broken C64 and a raspberry pi 4 combined into a generative techno groovebox (puredata algorithm)

Post by Sandrine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 am

Wow this is impressive! DIY at it's finest!
Love the C64 re-use, you're talented man!
..and holy crap it sounds great too :goo: :goo: :goo:
It would have been cool if you'd have used an original display but I know the VDG would be a huge PITA hehe
How did you interface the KB?

oli303
Learning to Wiggle

Re: A broken C64 and a raspberry pi 4 combined into a generative techno groovebox (puredata algorithm)

Post by oli303 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 am

Sandrine wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 am
Wow this is impressive! DIY at it's finest!
Love the C64 re-use, you're talented man!
..and holy crap it sounds great too :goo: :goo: :goo:
It would have been cool if you'd have used an original display but I know the VDG would be a huge PITA hehe
How did you interface the KB?
To be honest I'm in the process of ditching the display. I'm experimenting with xpra (xserver that among other things can be accessed via html5 browser).
Most functions can be done with the keyboard and the knobs. So the display will only be needed for editing the patch anyway.

The c64 keyboard was actually not that complicated to interface.
https://www.waitingforfriday.com/wp-con ... cs_PNG.png
It's an 8x8 button matrix. I used a "pro micro" type arduino board which has exactly 16 pins (which is perfect). So it functions as a USB keyboard.

I have also posted an earlier (longer) test-mix on my soundcloud :
https://soundcloud.com/darkq444/technotafel-dj-mode
-> This version still had a bug that only half of the chord changes triggered, which actually made it sound more like techno (lol). (kidding dudes)

I'm not experienced with youtubing, but if I have the time I might do some videos explaining some of the technical stuff here (puredata/arduino/pi/...).

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:31 am

Oh yes, I forgot that information is readily available now duh! The last time I did that was before internet ha ha
Sweet sounds, really enjoying this clean reboot you recorded, reminds me of the early days but sounds actually better
Thanks for posting the link! Now I want one :hyper:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”