Headphone / speaker amp for building / debugging modules

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

PacificState
Common Wiggler

Headphone / speaker amp for building / debugging modules

Post by PacificState » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm currently building a Buchla 258 module and am having to tweak resistor values to get a good sine out of it. I'm doing this by eye with my oscilloscope, but would really like to be able to listen to it, too - without dragging more gear along that I could be risking if the build is faulty.

Can anyone recommend a good, small, robust amp suited to modular levels? I can probably do it with a small eurorack module for the headphone + line side, but I'd like to free up workbench space.

Elahrairah
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Headphone / speaker amp for building / debugging modules

Post by Elahrairah » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:11 pm

I've had good success with those little bluetooth things people carry for their phones. They often have a headphone input jack, and can be USB powered.
Later I got a super cheap one to disassemble and reformat into a rackable module, but learned that drawing heavily on the 5V rail in time with my music was drooping and affecting the analog signals, so it's better to have a separate power supply for them.

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Headphone / speaker amp for building / debugging modules

Post by neil.johnson » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

I use a small (tiny) mixer for this exact purpose. In my case I got a good deal on a Tapco Mix50 on eBay. For a small footprint it fits in well into the development bench: lots of inputs, a couple of outputs that can go to scopes or audio analysers, and headphone output with separate volume control -- turn it right down until you have a stable level then turn it up - saves your ears! Or monitor the VU meter to show if you have a string signal or not.

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

Return to “Music Tech DIY”