Recursive Machine Build Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

japes
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Recursive Machine Build Thread

Post by japes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:56 am

One more dumb question: do the big side lugs on the pots need to be soldered? I’m assuming no...

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:35 pm

japes wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:56 am
One more dumb question: do the big side lugs on the pots need to be soldered? I’m assuming no...
I always solder the side lugs of pots, so they're better anchored to the pcb. In this case, with all the circuit connections at the bottom of the pots, and no front panel--I'd 100% solder the side lugs.

I had a list of questions I sent to Jon before I started my build--it's smart to clear up any questions before you start--better than after you finish--haha.

thecivildefense
Common Wiggler

Post by thecivildefense » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:09 pm

So close. Somehow forgot to order the LM386 and had to use the 15k for another repair project but should be able to test it Thursday:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thecivildefense
Common Wiggler

Post by thecivildefense » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Wavy Davy wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:03 pm

When I built mine, I put a piece of cardboard on the bottom (held on with the 4 mounting screws), to protect the circuit board from short circuits.
I installed new NmH batteries in it, and recharge them, without removing them from the case (which is reallllllly hard!).
I use a battery charger made for Radio Control hobbyist, that can charge all kinds of battery combinations, using aligator clips.
I simply clip onto the battery terminals protruding from the bottom of the circuit bd., and charge them in place.
(NOTE: Maybe you could solder the battery clips onto the bottom of the PCB, and mount the batteries on the outside, not between the two PCBs.
Then just make the case a little deeper to accommodate the batteries, (and bigger speaker)

Very cool idea! I can see how insanely hard it's going to be to remove it from the case once it's all put together. Could you share the charger you used?

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:36 am

I use a battery charger made for the Radio control car/airplane hobby.
This is the one I use, SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2, $49 on Amazon.
It can charge, all types of batteries, including NiMH for the Recursive.
Similar items, can be purchased for less, direct from china, if you can wait for shipping, and not worry about returns.

Do a little research, and you may be able to find something less expensive that can do the job for you.
Wishing you the best of fun with your Recursive Machine, in the new year :-)

thecivildefense
Common Wiggler

Post by thecivildefense » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:48 am

Wavy Davy wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:36 am
I use a battery charger made for the Radio control car/airplane hobby.
This is the one I use, SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2, $49 on Amazon.
It can charge, all types of batteries, including NiMH for the Recursive.
Similar items, can be purchased for less, direct from china, if you can wait for shipping, and not worry about returns.

Do a little research, and you may be able to find something less expensive that can do the job for you.
Wishing you the best of fun with your Recursive Machine, in the new year :-)
Perfect. Thanks!

delayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by delayed » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:52 am

Are people using med or long decay BTDR-2H? Or is it just personal pick?

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:57 am

Personal pick.

Wavy Davy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wavy Davy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:28 pm

delayed wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:52 am
Are people using med or long decay BTDR-2H? Or is it just personal pick?
I used medium, if do it over, would try the long one.

bezier
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bezier » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:33 pm

Getting around to this build now. Unfortunately i'll have to wait for the short song huei pots to arrive at either synthcube or thonk, which seem to be the only suppliers of them. Happy for any hints where i could get them otherwise.

digix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by digix » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:54 pm

bezier wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:33 pm
Getting around to this build now. Unfortunately i'll have to wait for the short song huei pots to arrive at either synthcube or thonk, which seem to be the only suppliers of them. Happy for any hints where i could get them otherwise.
I'm in the same boat here - I fear those short ones will take ages to get back in stock. In the thread at least one person used tall trim pots for everything and it seemed to be fine. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead with that? With the tall pots they could also use Thonk's new knob covers - although this may make it even more cramped.

Anyone else with feedback about using tall trim pots instead of the shorties?

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:06 pm

I wound up using long for everything, works but hard to say if it's an improvement without having tried the short ones. I sort of thought they might be easier with patchcords in. Again can't say for sure,

I don't like the jacks, they look nice but are way too tight, I always feel I'm flexing the pcb a bit. I gave a try plugging into each one a bunch of times, pretty exhausting and not a big improvement

bezier
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bezier » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Tough call. I'm just hesitant to use the large ones here, the RM seems to be all about form factor and portability, i don't want mess that up... Unfortunate though that we don't even have an estimate about the short pots restocking.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 pm

I used the longer shaft pots for the mixer pots and the short shafts for everything else. I wouldn't hesitate using the longer shaft pots for everything. The short pots are stubby, and I'm not convinced they improve the ergonomics, and don't think the form factor/portability is much affected. I'll probably be building a second RM and will be using all longer shaft pots--I think they're easier to grip. We're talking about what--a 5mm difference?

delayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by delayed » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Could someone upload a picture with the long vs the short? Pictures taken form the side vs just down from above?

japes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by japes » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:41 am

Finishing my build up. Having some issues with the pin headers getting aligned correctly and feeling like it's going to be a huge burden to get them aligned correctly again when I need to replace the batteries. Thinking about just wiring it instead and ziptying the wire so it's not all over the place. Dumb idea?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 pm

japes wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:41 am
Finishing my build up. Having some issues with the pin headers getting aligned correctly and feeling like it's going to be a huge burden to get them aligned correctly again when I need to replace the batteries. Thinking about just wiring it instead and ziptying the wire so it's not all over the place. Dumb idea?
Go for it. The pin header placement is a nightmare--they should have been placed along the edges. The placement and quality of the battery holder is also terrible. I think it makes a lot more sense to use a 5V phone battery pack and a barrel adapter (splicing it for the inexplicable center negative polarity).

Return to “Music Tech DIY”