NLC Sloth Chaos DIY eurorack - 1st build help wanted

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

yips
Learning to Wiggle

NLC Sloth Chaos DIY eurorack - 1st build help wanted

Post by yips » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi. I am looking for eurorack DIY person that can walk me thru building my first DIY module. I am happy to pay for your services. I'm guess you can teach me via skype or something.

I got a bunch of NLC PCBs and Panels and amlooking to start building NLC modules (sloth chaos, vac pill, etc...).
So I did some research and have all the tools - soldering iron, solder wire, etc...

This is the build guide and BOM for the sloth chaos:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... chaos2.pdf

I know that I have to get all the materials from the BOM but when I look at the schematics and the PCB board, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HECK IT MEANS. I need someone to walk me thru what pieces go where and someone to say, "you need to solder this capacitor here, this resistor here, etc... "

Thanks and let me know if you are interested.

aragorn23
Wiggling with Experience

Re: NLC Sloth Chaos DIY eurorack - 1st build help wanted

Post by aragorn23 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:45 am

Hah! That was my first DIY module too!

If you look at your PCB, you'll notice that the places where you can solder components are all labelled with names like 'R12', 'C7', 'IC' and so on. If you check the corresponding label on your BOM, you'll know what to solder where (e.g. C7 is a 10uF capacitor).

Learning to read schematics can help further down the line if something isn't working because you can figure out what's connected to what and trace problems back to their source, but I've managed to build many modules (including lots of NLC) with only very rudimentary schematic reading ability.

PS: NLC also sometimes labels the values instead of the BOM identifiers, so you'll sometimes see labels like '100k' next to a pad where you can solder something, making life even easier.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 am

Prob worth joining the NLC builder's guild, assuming you can endure FB -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/174583056349286

New builders are most welcome and any questions are fine. We were all beginners at one point.

yips
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yips » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies. I don't use FB. I'll just search around and see if I can put one together.

Ayab
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ayab » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:53 am

Hi

1. Have you decided what speed you want to build? Either Stasis etc..

2. Do you have the parts?

It is easiest to find a "Mouser Bom" = someone has probably made a list you can directly import into your onlinen shopping cart of the components supplier Mouser. This is easy but not the very cheapest. This will help you buy the correct Potentiometers (variable resistors) and Jack sockets
to fit the footprint of the sloth pcb.

You should be able to find everything cheaply on Tayda: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/
Also you can save money on Ebay, Aliexpress (maybe) and buy sets of resistors (1k and 100k always useful) and 10 or more IC's. But this is not always reliable.

Helpful tips:-
Buy a chisel tip, flux pen (helps solder take) and some blue tack to hold chips etc while you solder one side. And solder braid.
- Make sure electrolytic capacitors are soldered in correct orientation (note + and - terminals)
- Make sure ic's (chips) are soldered in correct orientation (should be a mark where pin 1 of chip is orientated)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”