Solid copper wire for builds?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

daveholiday
Ultra Wiggler

Solid copper wire for builds?

Post by daveholiday » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 pm

This may be a stupid question....or maybe not. I have looked through all of the modules I have and can't find a lick of solid copper wire.

Specifically, multiples that are typically connected by a continuous run of non-insulated wire always seem to silver...nickel plated?

The reason why I ask is that I had 4 rolls (250ft) of 18AWG 8 strand solid copper thermostat hook-up wire delivered to work. We didn't order it and after doing some research, the tracking number on the package says 2.98 lbs shipping weight. Needless to say it is about 50 lbs of wire. The label was so chewed up all I had was the tracking number, I called Fed Ex and they said I must be mistaken because the package was delivered successfully...

Work said make it go away.....so sitting in my garage.

I have a few multiples that I am getting ready to wire up....any reason not to use the *ahem" "free" wire?

BTW...If anybody is building a house and needs some thermostat wire.....I AM YOUR GUY!!!!!!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Mungo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Solid copper wire for builds?

Post by Mungo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 pm

The silver colour is usually tin plated copper wired, its much easier to solder to than raw copper.

jorg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jorg » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:38 pm

It's fine, if you clean the area before soldering, and use a bit of flux.

AlanP
Ultra Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:43 pm

Just bear in mind that you can't work solid core wire like you can stranded core wire and, if there's a stress break under the insulation, it can be a bugger to find.

daveholiday
Ultra Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Just tried wiring up some mults with my 18awg copper.....no way, that shit is just too big to work with. What is a decent AWG of tinned solid copper that I could "daisy chain" the jacks on my mults with? My gut is 22 but would like so advice before I buy a spool. Thanks!

Elahrairah
Common Wiggler

Post by Elahrairah » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:03 pm
Just tried wiring up some mults with my 18awg copper.....no way, that shit is just too big to work with. What is a decent AWG of tinned solid copper that I could "daisy chain" the jacks on my mults with? My gut is 22 but would like so advice before I buy a spool. Thanks!

I use spools of what the british call 1/0.6mm and love it for holding shape as I do a lot of point-to-point. It fits in the 22AWG slot of my stripper so maybe that means 1 mm outside insulation and 0.6mm conductor. It feels heavy enough to move a lot of power and bends and stays where I want unlike stranded wires. Can also strip it down to bare for runs with a lot of joins. Paid about $9 for a hundred meters.

Attached a picture of my 8HP MIDI-to-CV and CV-to-MIDI full of the stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:45 pm

I like 24 ga solid for hook up wire. I don't use it if the item will be moved a lot, or hooked/unhooked up a lot, but I prefer it for static point to point wiring...like the panel on my MFOS 16 step sequencer.

I used it on my Lyra-8+ as well, but I've been moving that around enough that I'm starting to think stranded would have been better.
----------------------

Flounderguts

daveholiday
Ultra Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:33 am

Flounderguts wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:45 pm
I like 24 ga solid for hook up wire. I don't use it if the item will be moved a lot, or hooked/unhooked up a lot, but I prefer it for static point to point wiring...like the panel on my MFOS 16 step sequencer.

I used it on my Lyra-8+ as well, but I've been moving that around enough that I'm starting to think stranded would have been better.
I used a micrometer on the wire in my Dotcom multiple and it measures out at 24, but thank you for confirming!!

daveholiday
Ultra Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am

Elahrairah wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 pm
daveholiday wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:03 pm

I use spools of what the british call 1/0.6mm and love it for holding shape as I do a lot of point-to-point. It fits in the 22AWG slot of my stripper so maybe that means 1 mm outside insulation and 0.6mm conductor. It feels heavy enough to move a lot of power and bends and stays where I want unlike stranded wires. Can also strip it down to bare for runs with a lot of joins. Paid about $9 for a hundred meters.

Probably need a deep case for all that!!!!

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 am

FWIW I did a few builds with thermostat wire. In my opinion it's too big and not flexible enough to wire things like jacks, pots etc.
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

Elahrairah
Common Wiggler

Post by Elahrairah » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am

daveholiday wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am
Elahrairah wrote:

It is one of my bigger modules, runs about 7 cm deep when folded closed. My DoepferP9 case has 11cm room between the panel and the busboards, so I didn't think it was a problem. This whole thing is a proof of concept, can I do everything with stripboard?

V2 will upgrade the CV outs from a smoothed PWM to a real DAC, but that doesn't save much space. Have to get to a real PCB since a lot of room is input/output conditioning resistors and diodes standing an inch off the panel. I'm proud to have three channels of MIDI in and out CV/Gate pairs. DACs come in even numbers, so three is awkward and might call for a complete redesign.

Anyway, using lots of 22AWG solid core.

My dual-channel Euclidean trigger sequencer is 6cm deep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daveholiday
Ultra Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:45 am

Elahrairah wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:24 am
daveholiday wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 am
Elahrairah wrote:

It is one of my bigger modules, runs about 7 cm deep when folded closed. My DoepferP9 case has 11cm room between the panel and the busboards, so I didn't think it was a problem. This whole thing is a proof of concept, can I do everything with stripboard?

V2 will upgrade the CV outs from a smoothed PWM to a real DAC, but that doesn't save much space. Have to get to a real PCB since a lot of room is input/output conditioning resistors and diodes standing an inch off the panel. I'm proud to have three channels of MIDI in and out CV/Gate pairs. DACs come in even numbers, so three is awkward and might call for a complete redesign.

Anyway, using lots of 22AWG solid core.

My dual-channel Euclidean trigger sequencer is 6cm deep.
Nice builds, I like the "organized mess" look of it! I am not on that level of DIY yet but getting there slowly. My midi to CV duties used to be handled by a Syntecno TeeBee until I got an Encore Expressionist last year.....money well spent!

Return to “Music Tech DIY”