mutable instruments module tester enclosure / case

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dkmb
Learning to Wiggle

mutable instruments module tester enclosure / case

Post by dkmb » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:29 am

hello all

I'm building one of the module testers designed by mutable instruments. I wanted to make an enclosure for it similar to the one shown on their site. unfortunately they don't seem purchasable currently. émilie being incredible shared her design; unfortunately the dimensions are too large for at least ponoko's laser cutter

I slightly rearranged the pieces so they can fit and adjusted the file to meet ponoko's requirements. I thought I should share the file in case it's helpful to someone

the file is encapsulated postscript (.eps) but such files aren't allowed to be attached, hence .txt. change the name back to the .eps extension (module_tester_case_edited.eps) after downloading it

I have to give the caveat that I have yet to build this but will report back after doing so

I hope this is useful to some of you
Attachments
module_tester_case_edited.txt
encapsulated postcript, rename to module_tester_case_edited.eps
(127.51 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

dkmb
Learning to Wiggle

Re: mutable instruments module tester enclosure / case

Post by dkmb » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:37 am

actually - are other people interested in a group buy? prices improve after buying 5

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:11 am

There used to be a few module tester and shruthi cases already on ponoko to order. Seems like they are gone now even my own modified ones don't show up in my account anymore.

dkmb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dkmb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 pm

I can happily report that the enclosure .eps/.txt file posted earlier works with the most recent (v2) module tester board from amazing synth :) I used ponoko but I imagine others will be fine too

a few comments for anyone else who wants to build one of these:
  • when ordering, be sure to mark the borders (red) as cutting, the labels as line engravings (hollow black), and the logos as area engravings (solid black)
  • for v2 pcbs, the holes on the bottom seem to be without function and can likely be removed from the schematic
  • using the amazing synth bom midi jack (Circular DIN Connectors DIN, 5P jack, rt, through hole), I had to trim the bottom to get it to fit
  • assembly can be done with 9 standard eurorack (M3x0.5) screws
    • 40mm fully threaded screws x4 for the top and bottom (enclosure height is 39mm; if you have access to an esoteric 42mm screw that's probably ideal)
    • 12mm screws x4 for the sides
    • standard rack mount screw (~8mm) x1 for the heat sink (not technically part of the enclosure but included as it's not in the amazing synth bom)
  • nuts x17
    • 8 to secure the board top and bottom
    • 4 for the sides
    • 4 for the bottom (I used acorn nuts)
    • 1 for the heat sink (again not technically part of the enclosure)
  • washers x4 for the side screws
  • if you use thonkiconn jacks, you need to use washers (x6) as the knurled nuts are nearly the size of their enclosure openings
apologies if this is all obvious; I don't know much about engineering and am learning about building these delightful instruments as I go

hope this is useful to someone :)

the_laconic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by the_laconic » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:48 pm

This might be very useful to me. I built a module tester but was having trouble modifying the case design to work with a laser cutting service. Thank you!

bgreeves
Common Wiggler

Post by bgreeves » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm

dkmb wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:37 am
actually - are other people interested in a group buy? prices improve after buying 5
Yes.

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Here is file that I have used with ponoko a few times, It says 12 AC adapter on the back and the newer boards use a DC adapter so you could change or delete that depending on what version you have.
Attachments
module_tester_ponoko2.zip
(263.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm

dkmb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 pm
I can happily report that the enclosure .eps/.txt file posted earlier works with the most recent (v2) module tester board from amazing synth :) I used ponoko but I imagine others will be fine too

a few comments for anyone else who wants to build one of these:
  • when ordering, be sure to mark the borders (red) as cutting, the labels as line engravings (hollow black), and the logos as area engravings (solid black)
  • for v2 pcbs, the holes on the bottom seem to be without function and can likely be removed from the schematic
  • using the amazing synth bom midi jack (Circular DIN Connectors DIN, 5P jack, rt, through hole), I had to trim the bottom to get it to fit
  • assembly can be done with 9 standard eurorack (M3x0.5) screws
    • 40mm fully threaded screws x4 for the top and bottom (enclosure height is 39mm; if you have access to an esoteric 42mm screw that's probably ideal)
    • 12mm screws x4 for the sides
    • standard rack mount screw (~8mm) x1 for the heat sink (not technically part of the enclosure but included as it's not in the amazing synth bom)
  • nuts x17
    • 8 to secure the board top and bottom
    • 4 for the sides
    • 4 for the bottom (I used acorn nuts)
    • 1 for the heat sink (again not technically part of the enclosure)
  • washers x4 for the side screws
  • if you use thonkiconn jacks, you need to use washers (x6) as the knurled nuts are nearly the size of their enclosure openings
apologies if this is all obvious; I don't know much about engineering and am learning about building these delightful instruments as I go

hope this is useful to someone :)
you can also put a standoff under the lcd/encoder (thats what the hole in the middle is for)

bgreeves
Common Wiggler

Post by bgreeves » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 pm

bgreeves wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm
dkmb wrote:
Yes.
Wait wow, I really should have checked the timestamp on the OP. That said, I'm down if anybody else wants to organize a group buy :lol:

dkmb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dkmb » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:00 pm

adam wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm
you can also put a standoff under the lcd/encoder (thats what the hole in the middle is for)
oh, that makes sense. do you know what size works? I ended up soldering the LCD on with old lead trimmings since I couldn't figure out what the better way to do it would be (couldn't find an appropriately-sized pin/socket).
bgreeves wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 pm
bgreeves wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm
dkmb wrote:
Yes.
Wait wow, I really should have checked the timestamp on the OP. That said, I'm down if anybody else wants to organize a group buy :lol:
sorry! :)

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:07 pm

dkmb wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:00 pm
adam wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 pm
oh, that makes sense. do you know what size works? I ended up soldering the LCD on with old lead trimmings since I couldn't figure out what the better way to do it would be (couldn't find an appropriately-sized pin/socket).
it's the same as the long ones on the corners, can't remember the size

Return to “Music Tech DIY”