Hammond organ foot pedal controller conversion

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Hammond organ foot pedal controller conversion

Post by kdmr » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:23 pm

Stumbled upon a set of bass pedals from an old hammond in the junk pile. I've had my eye out for a long while for a set to make into a v/oct controller. I searched around for a bit and couldn't find a whole lot by way of other folks doing the conversion so I figured I'd post a build doc as I work on it. Stay tuned if that's your thing.

Minimoog56
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Hammond organ foot pedal controller conversion

Post by Minimoog56 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Cool. I had a BV organ with a complete set of pedals, bench and Leslie251. Organ is gone but those pedals were dangerous. The metal contact strips were sharp. Gotta watch out. Also very heavy and bulky. Be careful.
Beatniks and Bongos/Bagels and Bongos/Buchlas and Bongos...

de gustibus....

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33 pm

Minimoog56 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:31 pm
Cool. I had a BV organ with a complete set of pedals, bench and Leslie251. Organ is gone but those pedals were dangerous. The metal contact strips were sharp. Gotta watch out. Also very heavy and bulky. Be careful.
I've already gone through and cleaned and repaired some of the mechanicals. Definitely not something I'd want to do under my normal soldering conditions (full of beers). I'll be posting some pictures and tips for that in a bit.

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:58 pm

This is the unit I snagged. Luckily most of the mechanical bits were working as they should.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 pm

First repair. There is a small plastic strip that throws each switch. One of these was snapped at the top, preventing the switch contacts from shorting. Normal operation is illustrated in the pictures(C= closed, O= open). The plastic strip is situated between the pedal assembly and the switch contact, so that when the pedal is pressed the strip travels upward and creates the closed state.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:14 pm

The strip is about 2 inches long, give or take (couldn't get a proper measurement since it was snapped), 4 mm wide and about 1 mm thick. I tried a few really bad mends (one pictured) and the realized that I had some decently stiff plastic stock in the form of LP dividers filed into my record collection. These are not the exact ones I have but should work: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/2 ... ne-plastic
This alternative seems to work great. I did have to kind of ballpark the length but around 2 inches did the trick and the material is WAY less brittle than whatever Hammond was using. I may end up replacing all of them as a preventative.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:38 am

Looks like the light blue O and C labels are backwards? The triple contact fingers on the O photo are contacting the leaf below while in the C pic they're clearly bent away from it?

Slowpoke101
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Slowpoke101 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:00 am

You may find the following article of interest;

https://www.instructables.com/Arduino-MIDI-Bass-Pedals

The author used a very similar Hammond pedal unit and described some of its mechanics quite well.

JimY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JimY » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 am

Do you only get single-action normally open contact, one per note on those things? If so, you might look at Moog Taurus schematics. I think they impose a high-frequency signal on the CV output that is detected to provide trigger/gate for the pitch CV S&H. The HF signal is easily filtered out of the CV.

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:03 pm

KSS wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:38 am
Looks like the light blue O and C labels are backwards? The triple contact fingers on the O photo are contacting the leaf below while in the C pic they're clearly bent away from it?
I think you're looking at the wrong piece

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:04 pm

JimY wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 am
Do you only get single-action normally open contact, one per note on those things? If so, you might look at Moog Taurus schematics. I think they impose a high-frequency signal on the CV output that is detected to provide trigger/gate for the pitch CV S&H. The HF signal is easily filtered out of the CV.
I'm using Ray's single buss controlled pcb. I've had one for years kicking around it different arrangements but the end goal was always to put it in a set of pedals

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:00 pm

kdmr wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:03 pm
Am I? You do realize these are normally closed switches? The three tines to the u-shaped piece in the wafer stack are the contacts.

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:06 pm

KSS wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:00 pm
kdmr wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:03 pm
Am I? You do realize these are normally closed switches? The three tines to the u-shaped piece in the wafer stack are the contacts.
Yes, they are NC and yes I mislabelled them but I WON'T APOLOGIZE

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 pm

I to got an old organ with foot pedal and I just removed all the original switches that were allmost gone and instead I bought micro switches and used these on the pedal.
Here my brother using this foot pedal on Protools.

kdmr
Common Wiggler

Post by kdmr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:24 am

Got her working last night. Ended up opting for a set of DG411 to deal with the NC switches. I need to redesign the board...left pulldown resistors off the first version mostly because I am an idiot so I have an extra stripboard shoved in to accommodate. Will post some more pictures of the switch busses and stripboard layout once I get a reasonably clean layout confirmed.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”