The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by joeSeggiola » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm

moacir wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:35 am
Kind of want a win while being frustrated w/ destroying two boards and dealing with the impossibility of sourcing MCUs in March 2021:
That's utterly beautiful! And thanks for making me discover the Mutable Instruments TH PCB conversions thread, found it while searching your old posts for more info about your work and these Urdu panels.

How did you print the wooden panels? Doesn't look handmade, the patterns on top and bottom look almost like a rubber stamp or something like that...?

Also, is Nearness a through-hole conversion, or is it the original SMT? I'm planning to build one soon, and the idea was to try re-designing it as TH.

moacir
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moacir » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:06 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm
That's utterly beautiful! And thanks for making me discover the Mutable Instruments TH PCB conversions thread, found it while searching your old posts for more info about your work and these Urdu panels.

How did you print the wooden panels? Doesn't look handmade, the patterns on top and bottom look almost like a rubber stamp or something like that...?

Also, is Nearness a through-hole conversion, or is it the original SMT? I'm planning to build one soon, and the idea was to try re-designing it as TH.
Thanks! :love: I gave up on TH and just taught myself to hand solder SMT. It's been rocky, but generally pleasant and rewarding. It's just annoying to trash an MCU or a DAC or tear up a board.

The wood panels are laser cut. At the same time, I laser cut their acrylic backboards. These makes the panels chunky (3mm), but I'm terrified that I'll break one. I glue them together and then slather a layer of pigmented epoxy on top. Wait 24 hours and sand the epoxy down. Finish w/ shellac.

Nearness is the SMT version. It is one of the easiest SMT builds I've ever done, I think.

uniqview
Common Wiggler

Post by uniqview » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:10 pm

I've had to switch gears and migrate to digital software synthesis. It was just becoming the case that I could get more done on a given Saturday with software then I could with soldering or breadboarding analog circuits.

The Raspberry Pi3B showed a lot of potential for electronic music synthesis when I first encountered it in 2018. Later on, for independent projects on radio, I set up several Raspberry Pi4B units to drive various Software Defined Radios. The 4B is an incredible machine for DIY.

Using some admitedly crude metrics, I determined that a single $35 Raspberry Pi3B had the functional equivalent of a system made with 2500 LM3900 op amps. I had been developing electronic music circuits with these op amps for years, they are really interesting. The equivalence of course is not exactly the same as a system that might have been composed of such a large number of linear circuits, only approximate. However, for the case of a Raspberry Pi4B, this equivalence was more like 10000 LM3900 op amps.

The only problem I had with a Raspberry Pi synthesizer is that the available HATs either offered excellent CODECs for audio, but no convenient utility for realtime user interfaces; or there was all you could want for user interface coupling, but not for audio I/O. I was not inimical to making new hardware, but I felt like making new hardware and having to have all the low-level software in order to do anything with high-level software was a longer project than I wanted to take on.

As it happened, I subsequently found the Zynthian 4.2, which had SDIY hardware that covered both bases: UX and audio. And it was already highly integrated with a low-latency Linux distribution, with all the necessary low-level support for the hardware bundled in. As well, it's an open platform, ready for hacking and discovery. And, it had been recent upgraded to the Raspberry Pi4B.

That was the turning point for me: I recently built a Zynthian. It's a power-packed little box, absolutely amazing this much sound generation and signal processing can be done in software!

More detailed notes on my SDIY build of the Zynthian are in my Electronic Music Synthesis blog.
PXL_20210306_234210887.MP.jpg
PXL_20210307_003235231.MP.jpg
Applying Raspberry Pi4B's for New Sound :hyper:

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 am

moacir wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:06 pm
The wood panels are laser cut. At the same time, I laser cut their acrylic backboards. These makes the panels chunky (3mm), but I'm terrified that I'll break one. I glue them together and then slather a layer of pigmented epoxy on top. Wait 24 hours and sand the epoxy down. Finish w/ shellac.
I'm not sure I got it right, so the laser is also used to burn text and graphics? And that "fading timbre" effect on the drawings is a consequence of the following sanding process?
moacir wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:06 pm
Nearness is the SMT version. It is one of the easiest SMT builds I've ever done, I think.
Ah, I see. I keep coming across SMT here and there, but I'm still nervous learning it... One day, who knows...

moacir
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moacir » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:34 am

joeSeggiola wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 am
I'm not sure I got it right, so the laser is also used to burn text and graphics? And that "fading timbre" effect on the drawings is a consequence of the following sanding process?
Correct. The laser cutter can cut, and it can etch. Since the epoxy gets into the etching, it sands down with the wood, giving that faded and worn, antique feel.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Lasers can also 'mark' on metal, apparently they fuse a ceramic coating to the metal. This was laser cut by ponoko for me...
DSCF2631.jpg
DSCF2636.jpg
Ken Stone quad logic gate in frac :banana:

Misk
Common Wiggler

Post by Misk » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:21 pm

soup wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm
Ken Stone quad logic gate in frac :banana:
wow, that's gorgeous!

squarewavesurfer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by squarewavesurfer » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:08 pm

A bit of an odd situation where factory meets DIY. This was an Ebay find of a partially built and incomplete Plan B Model 17 Triple Event Timer. I believe the build was put on hold in 2006 after a former Plan B employee ran out the required parts. Luckily it was all easy to find components: a few resistors, caps, and all the 5 ICs. There was no panel included so I tried my hand and failed at a toner transfer panel, but my paint marker touch ups will do for now.

I owe a huge thanks to Tim Stinchcombe (http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=m17) for his website full of modifications to fix various Plan B modules and for helping troubleshoot a ton of issues I encountered along the way. Most issues and fixes are nicely covered in his model 17 writeup but there were a couple silkscreen errors and one incorrect resistor value from the original builder. Peter Grenader himself was also kind enough to help me with a quite few things as well!

After many, many hours, I finally have it running perfectly. I chose to modify all outputs from near 12 V to 8 V by fitting proto board of 8 buffered voltage dividers in between the main board and the jack board. And just in case it didn't work out, it is also fully reversible (plug and play).

A scope image of the "sum of the not outputs" A+B+C, which is known for having a glitchy output, especially so when a 330 ohm resistor is used in place of a 3k3.
WTB: Verbos Scan & Pan; Sputnik modules (EF/Preamp, 6 channel mixer, 5 step voltage source); Mutable Instruments Factory panels

comrade_zero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by comrade_zero » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 am

Here is a short youtube demo of my recently completed semi-modular monosynth.
I used the simplest capable circuits I could find, built it on proto-boards, and managed to keep the overall cost minimal (around $150USD).
2 VCOs, the core of which is the David Haillant Sawtooth VCO https://www.davidhaillant.com/simple-vco/,
along with PWM/Square waveshapers from this Kassutronics VCO:https://kassu2000.blogspot.com/2016/02/ ... aping.html.
The ADS(R) envelopes are also from Kassutronics:https://kassu2000.blogspot.com/2018/10/ ... elope.html.
The attenuvertor on the VCF CV input is also from Kassutronics.
The LFO is from Skull and Circuits: https://www.skullandcircuits.com/lfo-1/, with an additional op-amp/diode sine shaper from EFM.
The Filter is an EFM lm13700-based state-variable filter: https://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.p ... SEMTypeVCF
The audio input and CV distributor are from MusiFromOuterSpace, and the VCA is a pretty bog-standard lm13700 affair.
For the MIDI-to-CV I used this as a starting point: https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-61776.html but used a different opto-coupler, and adapted the code to allow for last note priority while playing.
The overall architecture of the synth is directly influenced by a classic, which should be apparent almost immediately. ASR 1 can be routed to the VCA and also to the modulation of VCO 1 (either FM or PWM) These VCO parameters can also be modulated by the LFO. ASR 2 or LFO can be routed to the filter cutoff modulation, and can be inverted by an attenuverter and can also modulate FM or PWM of VCO 2. VCO2 can be synced to VCO 1. The filter can be swept from LP to HP (through notch) or switched to BP. The pitch of the oscillators and the gate of the envelopes can be driven from external sources or from the embedded midi-to-CV.
Aside from the 5-pin DIN connectors, 2 VCO tempcos, power supply ($4 ELPAC supply from a local surplus house) and the jacks (which I got for a steal from Electronic Goldmine) all parts were sourced from Tayda. The panel was $10 12"x6" aluminum with a printed sticker for graphics printed and drilled by my brother, the case was lumber from a big-box store.
Thanks for checking it out, I would love to know what people think. Cheers!

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:31 am

This is the first soldering I’ve done in 27 years (post school), the first kit I’ve built, and whilst I’m sure the soldering is crap in places and I didn’t understand the bit about cutting plastic off the vu meter and so it projects 6hp wide on a 5hp module (🤦‍♂️) IT WORKS and it didn’t nuke my skiff PSU. I am happy! More kits on the way! 😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/NV60NQEhaW4

67D00649-7FB2-4F4F-9CB9-4DF1EAE49A0A.jpeg

joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience

Post by joeSeggiola » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:51 am

comrade_zero wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:03 am
I used the simplest capable circuits I could find
Thanks for the many links! You made me discover a couple project libraries I didn't know about!

Niki
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Niki » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:11 am

comrade_zero wrote:

I used the simplest capable circuits I could find, built it on proto-boards, and managed to keep the overall cost minimal (around $150USD).
2 VCOs, the core of which is the David Haillant Sawtooth VCO https://www.davidhaillant.com/simple-vco/,
along with PWM/Square waveshapers from this Kassutronics VCO:https://kassu2000.blogspot.com/2016/02/ ... aping.html.
The ADS(R) envelopes are also from Kassutronics:https://kassu2000.blogspot.com/2018/10/ ... elope.html.
The attenuvertor on the VCF CV input is also from Kassutronics.
The LFO is from Skull and Circuits: https://www.skullandcircuits.com/lfo-1/, with an additional op-amp/diode sine shaper from EFM.
The Filter is an EFM lm13700-based state-variable filter: https://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.p ... SEMTypeVCF
The audio input and CV distributor are from MusiFromOuterSpace, and the VCA is a pretty bog-standard lm13700 affair.
For the MIDI-to-CV I used this as a starting point: https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-61776.html but used a different opto-coupler, and adapted the code to allow for last note priority while playing.
The overall architecture of the synth is directly influenced by a classic, which should be apparent almost immediately. ASR 1 can be routed to the VCA and also to the modulation of VCO 1 (either FM or PWM) These VCO parameters can also be modulated by the LFO. ASR 2 or LFO can be routed to the filter cutoff modulation, and can be inverted by an attenuverter and can also modulate FM or PWM of VCO 2. VCO2 can be synced to VCO 1. The filter can be swept from LP to HP (through notch) or switched to BP. The pitch of the oscillators and the gate of the envelopes can be driven from external sources or from the embedded midi-to-CV.
Aside from the 5-pin DIN connectors, 2 VCO tempcos, power supply ($4 ELPAC supply from a local surplus house) and the jacks (which I got for a steal from Electronic Goldmine) all parts were sourced from Tayda. The panel was $10 12"x6" aluminum with a printed sticker for graphics printed and drilled by my brother, the case was lumber from a big-box store.
Thanks for checking it out, I would love to know what people think. Cheers!
It sounds very very good.

moacir
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moacir » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:06 pm

comrade_zero wrote:

Sounds great! Thanks for this! I’m very much in the planning stages of something similar as a gift, and this is inspiration to design something “me”

analogmonster
Common Wiggler

Post by analogmonster » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:50 am

comrade_zero wrote:
Cool!

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:40 am

20210330_173142.jpg
20210330_173226.jpg
6 voice 4 operand midi player, the soundchip is Yamaha YMF262 and the processor is a BluePill STM32F103 programmed using the Arduino IDE.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:16 pm

My second and third ever builds! The tromso WORKS. (The power supply doesn’t bc I didn’t realise it would need me to source a wall wart, which won’t be here for a week or so). My soldering is improving 😂

I’m seriously thinking this might be my route into 5U.
Attachments
E0C15093-557F-4D2A-B4D5-3A24B20D4BD2.jpeg
8A1FF63F-8FF7-4884-8340-60440FFEC8B1.jpeg
8E41A3E6-11AA-4463-9795-7A60D5A764B7.jpeg

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm

7 days since I first picked up a soldering iron. Well happy with this! Moreover, every single module works!

The inside of the CEMosc is a dog’s breakfast, with some serious desoldering and one bodged / ripped trace. But it came together, and it’s all good learning.

Almost out of things to build, and bank holiday in the way of new postage (!)

F34388F2-B079-4A5D-A1AE-BF5C0E251445.jpeg

1000western
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1000western » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:42 am

apart from the front panel artwork, my ETI Vocoder
Attachments
vocoder1.png
vocder2.png
vocoder3.png

analogmonster
Common Wiggler

Post by analogmonster » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:57 am

1000western wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:42 am
Oh yeah, that looks great, any sound examples? :tu:

zephyrin
Common Wiggler

Post by zephyrin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 am

I m also started to built ETI vocoder

IMG_5466.jpg
IMG_5467.jpg

Eric the Red
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:40 pm

I can’t wait till I start my Vocodet! I am doing one from HaraldsWerk - https://www.haraldswerk.de/PP_Vocoder/PP_Vocoder.html
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

thesingingarc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thesingingarc » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:34 am

Hi All.

N00b here enjoying looking at the some of the amazing builds in this thread. Am learning micro electronics as I go along and building from kits currently and learning how to source parts and what does what etc.

It's a bit addictive isn't it. Particularly scavenging , that's like crack!

Anyhoo here's my various attempts. Currently building a Braids clone, an Oakley vca , another passive mult/comb/mix and vca and an arp oddessy vco.

Cheers.
Chris
Attachments
IMG_20210327_195041.jpg
IMG_20210330_170022.jpg
received_150709126949064.jpeg
IMG-20210404-WA0006.jpeg
IMG_20210405_203124.jpg
IMG_20210405_203150.jpg
received_1200793877004782.jpeg
Modular Grid - Ding Dang Horribly Whilst High
n00b, learning, background in studio recording.

orukusaki
Learning to Wiggle

Post by orukusaki » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:38 am

Hi, I'm new here :)
I started my modular journey at the end of January this year, building everything myself on strip-board so far
20210402_114720.jpg

Modules completed so far:
1. Power, uses an ebay buck/boost convertor to create +/-14v, which is then reduced to +/-12v and +5v by standard linear regulators.
2. Dual VCO, The first module I made, based on the design from Moritz Klein on Youtube. One channel has a square wave shaper, the other has a triangle convertor.
3. VCA - probably the module I'm least happy with, firstly because of the ugly panel layout, but also because the circuit suffers from bleed-through. May get remade some time soon.
4. Dual ADSR env generator. This is a digital module, based around an atmega644 - mostly because I had a few spare from another project. It's got enough io to do everything without any expanders. The output is 8 bit pwm running at 62kHz. It will free-run without an input plugged in, and both channels can be run from one trigger input
5. Ladder filter. This is based on the YuSynth schematic, but using all discrete transistors. I've also added a couple of mods to make it perform more like a 303 for acid fun times :)
6. Spring reverb. A simple module with no CV controls, but does what it does really nicely.

20210402_114646.jpg

The front panel designs are drawn up in Inkscape, and printed onto clear sticker sheets with a laser printer

20210402_115013.jpg
I've been using a Korg SQ-1 to control it all, and have just bought my first module made by someone else (euclidean circles)

1000western
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1000western » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 pm

analogmonster wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:57 am
1000western wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:42 am
Oh yeah, that looks great, any sound examples? :tu:
Will give it a go at the weekend recording some demos, still need to set it up properly, but will try

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:06 pm

IMG_4161.JPG
Not a module, but I turned a Napa Valley CD case into a rack (again, this is my fourth go at this). Clicks & Clocks rails, Michigan Synth Works PSU, LIBB...

If anyone's interested in the process as I've worked it out, I documented it this time

https://docs.google.com/document/d/175x ... sp=sharing

Return to “Music Tech DIY”