The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
Kampfzwerg
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:23 am
Location: the bellybutton of Europe

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by Kampfzwerg » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:01 am

I'm not shure if I understand your question. The original four and eight voice Oberheims are Polyphonic.
I plan to build a custom Midi2CV eight voice polyphonic interface into the global control module.
This lets me choose to play it in poly, unison or split mode. Even an omni-Midi-mode is planed, where midi
channels 1-8 control each SEM individually.
WOMEN AND CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE,
AND MEN AND DOGS SHOULD RELAX AND GET USED TO THE IDEA.

User avatar
analogmonster
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 am
Location: Matrix thread Germany
Contact:

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by analogmonster » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:12 am

Ah, that's cool, I was mislead by a YouTube video where a one finger play was presented.

User avatar
htor
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 am

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by htor » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am

Luka wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:28 am
Finished my Jurgen Haible Vocoder a few months ago

494D155C-4F15-4319-A876-A8B11636010C.jpeg
jesus christ, okay im never posting anything here again

respect

User avatar
joeSeggiola
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:59 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by joeSeggiola » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:51 am

htor wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am
Luka wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:28 am
Finished my Jurgen Haible Vocoder a few months ago
jesus christ, okay im never posting anything here again
lol, thought the same. "hey, here's my passive mult, i'm so proud of it", "yo cool, here's my humble vocoder"...

nigel
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by nigel » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 pm

joeSeggiola wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:51 am
htor wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am
Luka wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:28 am
Finished my Jurgen Haible Vocoder a few months ago
jesus christ, okay im never posting anything here again
lol, thought the same. "hey, here's my passive mult, i'm so proud of it", "yo cool, here's my humble vocoder"...
You know what? I bet Luka has a first passive mult build in a drawer somewhere that looks much the same as everybody else's.
As the saying goes, you're not expected to be an expert when you arrive here, but you might be an expert when you leave. That seems like a good life motto to me.

User avatar
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5406
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 am
Location: melbourne

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by Luka » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:00 am

Thanks! It was complex as there was no support from Jurgen and getting panels built was a mega task. It took me about 10 years to built this :). SDIY has really levelled up in that time too. The diy SEM after my post is a great example of that. People are building crazy stuff these days. This was my last big project.

User avatar
Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5406
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 am
Location: melbourne

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by Luka » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:03 am

Also if you look way back at the beginning of the diy forum (reverse the threads oldest to newest) you will see all my beginnings :).

User avatar
Siri
Common Wiggler
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by Siri » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:49 pm

Luka wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:28 am
Finished my Jurgen Haible Vocoder a few months ago

494D155C-4F15-4319-A876-A8B11636010C.jpeg
insane! :omg:

nigel
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by nigel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Luka wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:03 am
Also if you look way back at the beginning of the diy forum (reverse the threads oldest to newest) you will see all my beginnings :).
Exactly, we all start somewhere. Also - hell yeah, that Vocoder is a nice build. :party: :hail:

User avatar
jonny_w
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by jonny_w » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:46 am

IMG_1050.jpg
After exploring synth DIY for ~10 years now (starting with MFOS modules, RIP Ray!), this is my final iteration. Mix of DIY & purchased. Case is *very* much DIY. I'm way better at soldering than woodworking, but I was determined to DIY the thing :mrgreen:

Black things on top are for ventilation. It was getting a little too toasty with my massive linear power supply.

User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 8114
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 pm

Looks great, jonny_w, and your woodworking seems completely adequate.
Power spent passion bespoils our soul receiver
Surely we know.

User avatar
jonny_w
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by jonny_w » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:16 am

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 pm
Looks great, jonny_w, and your woodworking seems completely adequate.
Thank you kindly, sir! I still remember how gracious you were with your time, showing me your workshop & prototypes many years ago. Big fan of you and your designs :tu:

User avatar
SlightlyNasty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by SlightlyNasty » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Built up this experimental diode phaser that has been swimming around my projects folder for a while. It definitely has some sweet spots to it, and might turn into a Slightly Nasty module at some point.

I went a little overboard on the PCB design for this one-off prototype, ha!


diodephaser.jpg
www.slightlynasty.com - 4U DIY Modules for the Loudest Warning format

User avatar
analogmonster
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 am
Location: Matrix thread Germany
Contact:

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by analogmonster » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 am

SlightlyNasty wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:25 pm
Built up this experimental diode phaser that has been swimming around my projects folder for a while. It definitely has some sweet spots to it, and might turn into a Slightly Nasty module at some point.

I went a little overboard on the PCB design for this one-off prototype, ha!

diodephaser.jpg
Cool! :tu: Circuit?

User avatar
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 8114
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:13 pm

Nice work, SlightlyNasty! It sounds great, too.

How long did it take to get those PCBs? As you probably know, I could cook that shit up in my garage in about an hour.
Power spent passion bespoils our soul receiver
Surely we know.

User avatar
SlightlyNasty
Common Wiggler
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by SlightlyNasty » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:49 pm

Thanks guys!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:13 pm
How long did it take to get those PCBs? As you probably know, I could cook that shit up in my garage in about an hour.
Basically exactly two weeks, I just threw it on top of an order of module boards as an extra bit. I'm usually not to fussed waiting for PCBs because I've always got enough projects on the go simultaneously - so there's always something else I can work on in the meantime.

analogmonster wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 am
Cool! :tu: Circuit?
It still needs a little work, but the topology is one that occurred to me a little while ago and I was just curious to see if it would work. It's based around making variable-impedance virtual grounds using differential CVs pulling current across diode pairs. I've since found other examples of people using it, but it's not terribly common because it has some shortcomings compared to other gain-control circuits. One way of looking at it is as a diode bridge circuit turned inside-out, so that you've got unbalanced signal and balanced control currents.

The core of the phasing circuit looks like this:

Screenshot_2021-03-14_15-06-25.png
www.slightlynasty.com - 4U DIY Modules for the Loudest Warning format

User avatar
NeolithicElectrophones
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Location: SFV, LAC

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:03 am

SlightlyNasty wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:25 pm
It definitely has some sweet spots to it, and might turn into a Slightly Nasty module at some point.
Please do! Loving your stuff a year or so in. Without building a couple 1011s and ASLs I never would have gotten into LW, many thanks.

User avatar
analogmonster
Common Wiggler
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 am
Location: Matrix thread Germany
Contact:

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by analogmonster » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:19 am

SlightlyNasty wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:49 pm
analogmonster wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 am
Cool! :tu: Circuit?
It still needs a little work, but the topology is one that occurred to me a little while ago and I was just curious to see if it would work. It's based around making variable-impedance virtual grounds using differential CVs pulling current across diode pairs. I've since found other examples of people using it, but it's not terribly common because it has some shortcomings compared to other gain-control circuits. One way of looking at it is as a diode bridge circuit turned inside-out, so that you've got unbalanced signal and balanced control currents.
Thx. Definitely worth having a closer look at.

User avatar
Soundbrigade
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:35 am
Location: Vänersborg/Sweden
Contact:

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by Soundbrigade » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:37 pm

I've simply been too busy doing nothing and I still isn't thru doing that :roll: . But I have been able to squeeze in some (a lot) in the queu.
The BIG project right now is supposed to be a modular synth. I may have written a bit about it last year but I think I know a little how it will turn out.
I ordered PCBs from China for various modules I felt I really needed (VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, ADSRs, RM, Noise, Sequenzers) and a handful of modules from BMC and Elby.
I still haven't gotten all pieces together, but this is what I've come up with :nod: :
My very own standard rack with my own very non-standard modules, a project on a tight budget (*).
IMG_20210128_124306_450.jpg
At the moment getting the Superseque (Thomas Henry) together, hoping I cut all the wires in correct length :confused: .
Superseq_02.jpg
I am checking the modules using a Behringer Crave and an oscilloscope, but got stuck on an ADSR that behaves improperly.

(*) Modules are 7" and I use offcuts of sheet metal from my old job. I don't think I will ever end up with other synth people and have a need to swap modules.
Due to economical cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has to be switched off.

/Magnus

soejrd
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:48 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by soejrd » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Soundbrigade wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:37 pm
I've simply been too busy doing nothing and I still isn't thru doing that :roll: . But I have been able to squeeze in some (a lot) in the queu.
The BIG project right now is supposed to be a modular synth. I may have written a bit about it last year but I think I know a little how it will turn out.
I ordered PCBs from China for various modules I felt I really needed (VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, ADSRs, RM, Noise, Sequenzers) and a handful of modules from BMC and Elby.
I still haven't gotten all pieces together, but this is what I've come up with :nod: :
My very own standard rack with my own very non-standard modules, a project on a tight budget (*).

At the moment getting the Superseque (Thomas Henry) together, hoping I cut all the wires in correct length :confused: .

I am checking the modules using a Behringer Crave and an oscilloscope, but got stuck on an ADSR that behaves improperly.

(*) Modules are 7" and I use offcuts of sheet metal from my old job. I don't think I will ever end up with other synth people and have a need to swap modules.
Looks awesome! Any plans on releasing the source files or gerbers?

User avatar
squarewavesurfer
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm
Location: Canada

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by squarewavesurfer » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:09 pm

This is a build I finished in 2017 but in 2021 I decided to revisit it to swap in some vintage parts, better match some vactrol pairs and try to make it as close as possible to the original 259. I am finding that as I develop my DIY synth knowledge, especially when it comes to buchla clones, I learn new things that make me want to go back to old builds and make improvements where I can.

I owe a lot of thanks to Dave Brown from https://modularsynthesis.com/ and Andrei from Feedback Modules for helping me with making the modifications and troubleshooting some issues along the way.

The re-panel didn't turn out as nice as I had hoped, having used a local print shop for the graphics, but I may try using front panel express in the future and see how they do.
Attachments
_20210314_230816.JPG
WTB: Verbos Scan & Pan; Sputnik modules (EF/Preamp, 6 channel mixer, 5 step voltage source); Mutable Instruments Factory panels

User avatar
dot matrix madness
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:48 am
Location: Germany, SB

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by dot matrix madness » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:57 am

TR-909 Ride clone with alternative attack/decay of the NAVA Extra9 Expansion.
Schematics see here: Extra9 schematics
Changes for +/-12V supply: R97 (100k): 100k + 27k, R99_1 (33k): 100k, R99_2 (15k): 30k, VR103A (5k trim): 10k trim.
Worth the extra effort as you can switch to an almost reverse cymbal sound.
909 Ride PCB
909 Ride PCB
909 Ride PCB back
909 Ride PCB back
Front plate is temporary until the Crash cymbal is done.
Licenced to solder since 1993

User avatar
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6733
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by J3RK » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:24 pm

squarewavesurfer wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:09 pm
This is a build I finished in 2017 but in 2021 I decided to revisit it to swap in some vintage parts, better match some vactrol pairs and try to make it as close as possible to the original 259. I am finding that as I develop my DIY synth knowledge, especially when it comes to buchla clones, I learn new things that make me want to go back to old builds and make improvements where I can.

I owe a lot of thanks to Dave Brown from https://modularsynthesis.com/ and Andrei from Feedback Modules for helping me with making the modifications and troubleshooting some issues along the way.

The re-panel didn't turn out as nice as I had hoped, having used a local print shop for the graphics, but I may try using front panel express in the future and see how they do.
Beautiful!

Also, yes on Dave Brown! He’s helped me with a few designs, and I can’t say enough good things.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

EricPLandry
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:52 am

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by EricPLandry » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Here is my computer controller footswitch. Done with an arduino Leonardo that acts as a keyboard/mouse.
2021-03-19 14_09_29-DAW Controller _ - SMART Notebook.jpg
When I press 2 buttons at the same time it either starts the program or brings it in the forefront if it's already running. I use the WIN Key with a number from 1-5 to start the app that is positioned in my task bar. WIN+1 starts the first app, WIN+2 starts the second app, etc. I plan on adding the possibility of contrôlling another 5 apps by pressing on the double buttons twice. The first time would bring apps 1-5, the second time would bring the apps 6-10.

As the app is started, each button individually takes on a role for that application. For example the rewind is not the same in MusicBee as it is in Spotify so pressing the same button to rewind with MusicBee or with Spotify will send the correct key sequence depending on the app that is in the foreground.

It is still in the development stage. I keep getting new ideas to improve on the program. I plan on adding a metronome control and also an internal pad player (MP3 player)

I also want to add another button sequence to switch between PC control and MAC control. Again it's just to have more flexibility and to be able to customise the button fonctions based on the application.

One interesting feature that I was able to setup is with the control of my Valeton GP-100 guitar effect. That effect can be run in patch mode or stomp mode. However it is a sequence of holding one button for a set time to switch between one mode or the other and it isn't always convenient to do so while playing live. So with my foot controller, I am able to control the patch within the GP-100 software while the pedal is in stomp mode. So now I can quickly switch patch with one button and immediately controll my effects in stomp mode without having to hold the button for that delay time.

User avatar
moacir
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:18 pm
Location: Manhattan
Contact:

Re: The 2021 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread!

Post by moacir » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:35 am

Kind of want a win while being frustrated w/ destroying two boards and dealing with the impossibility of sourcing MCUs in March 2021:
Image

That's Marbles, Tides, Knit, Plaits, Rings, Ripple, Antumbra's 6Mix, Nearness
uTemps Utile, uO_C, 3x Division 6 CEM3340 oscillator, Links, Kinks, (Stages and Typhoon if I weren't soldering at 4am and destroying mcus), Blinds, Erica Polivoks VCF 2, Ears

The outputs for Nearness are hardwired to the two 1/4" jacks I have on the back of the case. I added a master power switch for the system as a whole to the panel there, too.

The MI clone panels are on curly maple. The others are on poplar except the Polivoks, which is on wenge. All of the panels are 1/16" wood glued to 1/16" acrylic. Plaits and Knit panels have a mistake, so I'm remaking those in the upcoming weeks. The Ears panel had some problems that ended with me destroying it.

I still can't tell if I like the Polivoks panel. It looks like an antique... but it's also damn near illegible, because the lacquer got into the veins of the wood. On the other hand, I know w/o looking what all the knobs and jacks do.

Everything works, but I haven't calibrated Marbles or the two teensy modules. I'll have to sweet talk myself into a local lab for that, and I don't want to go through the effort until I can calibrate Stages at the same time.

In the meantime I'm going to build a Grid and another Knit to take the place of Marbles for now. As long as I can't rely on the X side of Marbles, I might as well just replace it w/ a drum machine.

Post Reply

Return to “Music Tech DIY”