2021 : which soldering station, desoldering gun, etc,?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 2021 : which soldering station, desoldering gun, etc,?

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 am

I'd skip the FX-888 and go straight to the FX-951. Yes its more than twice as expensive but its also about half as much as similar higher end irons that use heater tips (the single heater/temp sensor/tip things) and if you're planning on soldering anything other than occasionally, its well worth it:

3x faster heat up
Much better regulation
5x as many different tip styles (T-15 is the standard size which are used throughout pro resistive heater Hakko line)
hot swap tips (cant stress how awesome that is)
Different handle options

888 is decent for the price but the "handle as a heater" is 70s technology, its like comparing a car from then and a modern one

AlanP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AlanP » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 pm

I went from a 40W pencil iron to a FX888D. The jump wasn't in temperature or ease of soldering, for me, so much as being able to use it a few seconds after turning it on (as opposed to waiting a few minutes), and also being able to change the tip if need be.

DanaFo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DanaFo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:01 am
I'd skip the FX-888 and go straight to the FX-951. Yes its more than twice as expensive but its also about half as much as similar higher end irons that use heater tips (the single heater/temp sensor/tip things) and if you're planning on soldering anything other than occasionally, its well worth it:

3x faster heat up
Much better regulation
5x as many different tip styles (T-15 is the standard size which are used throughout pro resistive heater Hakko line)
Different handle options

888 is decent for the price but the "handle as a heater" is 70s technology, its like comparing a car from then and a modern one
I can hotswap my tip, it's literally hot but with pliers it's doable in a few seconds ;)

plushterry
Common Wiggler

Post by plushterry » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:17 pm

ketem13 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm
I bought a KSGER T12 from ALiExpress a year ago and I'm super happy with it.
You have control over the temperature and sleeping mode if your forget it on.

I did plenty of soldering in the past few months and had no issue at all.
I never tried Hakko or a Weller but I think the KSGER T12 is very good for the price.

Same here, think I paid about £40 for mine and it came with a whole set of different tips, about 15 or so.

Really pleased with it, love the sleep function and boost mide

v8pete
Common Wiggler

Post by v8pete » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:47 pm

It's worth keeping an eye on Ebay for some of older Metcal stuff that occasionally turns up at a decent price - fantastic kit & the default choice for a lot of electronics contract manufacturing outfits here in the UK.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:38 pm

DanaFo wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 pm
Altitude909 wrote:

3x faster heat up
Much better regulation
Different handle options

I can hotswap my tip, it's literally hot but with pliers it's doable in a few seconds ;)
Yeah, great way to destroy your handle.

DanaFo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DanaFo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 am

Altitude909 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:38 pm
DanaFo wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 pm
Altitude909 wrote:

3x faster heat up
Much better regulation
Different handle options

Yeah, great way to destroy your handle.
Really? unscrewing the retaining nut and pulling the tip out is somehow doing damage...?

synthetek
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synthetek » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:51 am

Altitude909 wrote:
I agree, I went from the 888 to the 951 a few years ago and it was worth it, the handle is much slimmer and lighter and more comfortable for long soldering sessions, there is also a micro handle that is even slimmer. One of my favorite features is that lowers the heat when you set it in the holder and it goes to sleep after a while too, this has increased tip life a lot for me over the 888.

teleport
Common Wiggler

Post by teleport » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 am

v8pete wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:47 pm
It's worth keeping an eye on Ebay for some of older Metcal stuff that occasionally turns up at a decent price - fantastic kit & the default choice for a lot of electronics contract manufacturing outfits here in the UK.
This is sound advice. In the same vein as Metcal, I'd also add to look at the Thermaltronics stuff, they're somewhat cheaper and their offerings include compatible/interchangeable tips and parts with Metcal irons and from what I understand the company is comprised of Metcal people who spun it off after OKI acquired the name. Be aware that these irons use a different style of heating - "Curie point" RF power transfer rather than resistive - so the tip heats up quickly but you've got exactly one temp per tip, whether that is desirable is largely a matter of personal taste.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:55 am

DanaFo wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 am

Really? unscrewing the retaining nut and pulling the tip out is somehow doing damage...?
Tightening down that nut when its hot can seize it up/deform the sheath when it cools. I've done it, its how i killed my first one

DanaFo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DanaFo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:41 pm

Altitude909 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:55 am
DanaFo wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 am

Tightening down that nut when its hot can seize it up/deform the sheath when it cools. I've done it, its how i killed my first one
ah well thank god I'm too lazy to usually put the nut back on after a hotswap :omg:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”