Super Psycho LFO vs Psycho LFO

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

ketem13
Veteran Wiggler

Super Psycho LFO vs Psycho LFO

Post by ketem13 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I was wandering what are the differences between the output of the Super Psycho LFO with only one oscillator working and between the Psycho LFO ?

I was thinking to make either 4X Psycho LFO or Super Psycho LFO with individuals glides and outputs.

Anyone with thoughts on that ? what will be better ?

Thanks

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Re: Super Psycho LFO vs Psycho LFO

Post by pjbulls » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Not sure what you mean by 'only one oscillator working'? The Psycho LFO is four mixed square waves, one of which has a tunable rate. The Super Psycho LFO is six mixed square waves, all with tunable rate, and two that can be turned into triangles. Due to the higher number of oscillators, tunability, and wave shapes I'd expect a Super Psycho to be about 50-100% 'more psycho' than the regular one. (this is not actually a thing)

If you'd make a Super Psycho with only one oscillator you'd just have a very basic LFO (square or square/tri, depending on which oscillator you leave in). If you make 4 Psycho LFOs you'd end up with 16 oscillators total of which 4 can be tuned across 4 outputs, which may or may not be 'better' than a single Super Psycho (do you want to modulate 4 different sources?). I'd lean towards just one Super Psycho - or four of them.

ketem13
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:49 pm

Yhea, I did not explained my self correctly. What I'm looking four is an option to modulate four different sources rather the extra super psycho lfo with only one output.
So I was mistaken in the way I thought the Super Psycho lfo is working.

making four times Super Psycho lfo might be too much. Four Psycho lfo seems more reasonable ...

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 pm

i use a couple of psychoLFOs all the time to introduce a little wobble into various modulations... i usually increase the osc. caps to at least 10uf to slow it down. i also have a superpsyco, all the additional options (and panel real estate) dosesn't really add too much musical functionality, at least for me. but i'm a catgirl fanboy, they're all good,
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

wackelpeter
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wackelpeter » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:14 pm

you could also build an in between version like i did, have 3 oscillators at fixed rate and add a further pot to have 2 osc with variable speed. I like them the most when they modulate the freuqency of a self oscillating filter and run that through a short reverb... gives solid good old sw radio vibes,

Return to “Music Tech DIY”