Doing Befaco Even VCO: is there much diff between tl072 smd chips?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

DanaFo
Learning to Wiggle

Doing Befaco Even VCO: is there much diff between tl072 smd chips?

Post by DanaFo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:58 pm

The BOM has a tl072cte code for onda radio - they don't seem to have this specific part any more.
Mouser has like 8 different models of tl072 smds - are they really all that different in this application? What would be the key differentiating factor(s)?

Cheers,
mouser tl072 smd.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Re: Doing Befaco Even VCO: is there much diff between tl072 smd chips?

Post by pjbulls » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes, there is some difference.

They all end in --CD[T] or --ID[T], this is what you should be least concerned about. The ----T means that it's a 'tape & reel' part, i.e. they come in reels of 2500 from the factory as well as cut tape - not something you'd really care about unless you're assembling them by the thousands (though they might still be a bit cheaper in lower quantities). The I or C indicates extended or standard temperature operating range (-40°C to 125°C or 0°C to 70°C), again not something you'd need unless you'll be running your module in an oven or at the South Pole. The D is the package code, SOP-8.

For some of the versions there is an extra 'A' or 'B' (or, not present here, a 'C') between the 072 and the rest of the code: these are parts with better offset voltage specifications than the original (max. 10 mV standard, 6 mV for A, and 3 mV for B). This will matter a teeny tiny bit for some applications (pitch CV), but for the EvenVCO not so much.

I'd just get the one that's cheapest in the quantities you need ;)

e: missed the 'Y' all the way at the bottom, this is one that meets automotive specifications (which is great if you're building a car). Overall the 'BIDT' and 'BIYDT' are the "best" ones.

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:08 pm

a strategy for decision is sorting by the availability/stock column, and just pick whichever they have most of in stock. those should in theory be common

DanaFo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DanaFo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:47 pm

htor wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:08 pm
a strategy for decision is sorting by the availability/stock column, and just pick whichever they have most of in stock. those should in theory be common
pjbulls wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 pm
Yes, there is some difference.

They all end in --CD[T] or --ID[T], this is what you should be least concerned about. The ----T means that it's a 'tape & reel' part, i.e. they come in reels of 2500 from the factory as well as cut tape - not something you'd really care about unless you're assembling them by the thousands (though they might still be a bit cheaper in lower quantities). The I or C indicates extended or standard temperature operating range (-40°C to 125°C or 0°C to 70°C), again not something you'd need unless you'll be running your module in an oven or at the South Pole. The D is the package code, SOP-8.

For some of the versions there is an extra 'A' or 'B' (or, not present here, a 'C') between the 072 and the rest of the code: these are parts with better offset voltage specifications than the original (max. 10 mV standard, 6 mV for A, and 3 mV for B). This will matter a teeny tiny bit for some applications (pitch CV), but for the EvenVCO not so much.

I'd just get the one that's cheapest in the quantities you need ;)

e: missed the 'Y' all the way at the bottom, this is one that meets automotive specifications (which is great if you're building a car). Overall the 'BIDT' and 'BIYDT' are the "best" ones.
Awesome replies (I actually considered the in stock numbers as a guide lol). Thanks!

degeneratedsines
Common Wiggler

Post by degeneratedsines » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:24 pm

hum.. the Even VCO comes with all smd pre-soldered, right?
at least as far as can remember.

pjbulls
Common Wiggler

Post by pjbulls » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:33 pm

Nobody said anything about the actual Befaco kit ;)

(I made a 6HP version)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”