Utility Mixer I

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Haralds:Werk
Wiggling with Experience

Utility Mixer I

Post by Haralds:Werk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:07 am

This is an often used utility module. The mixer comes in handy for mixing CV sources. The mixer is DC coupled, so you can use it for DC and AC mixing. The input impedance is constant 1MOhm. The input signals are amplified by a factor of two. It is possible to offset every input with +/- 5V. The offset is signaled with diodes for every channel and for the summing output. The outputs are normalized, so you can remove selected channels from the output mix. The summed output has a -6dB switchable attenuator. There is an inverted summed output added as well. The added volume indicator us useful for finding the appropriate signal level.

Specs and features
• Three inputs, three outputs
• Inverted and non- inverted summed output
• 2x amplification
• +/- 5V offset for every channel
• -6dB switch
• Volume indicator
• Normalized outputs
• Runs on +/-12V and +/-15V
• Power consumption below 20mA each rail

The documentation and the Gerber files for download can be found in my website.
Utility_Mixer_I_schematic_01.png
Utility_Mixer_I_schematic_02.png
Utility_Mixer_I_front.JPG
Utility_Mixer_I_control_PCB.JPG
Utility_Mixer_I_main_PCB.JPG
Utility_Mixer_I_side.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Haralds:Werk on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.haraldswerk.de
Home of Next Generation Formant

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Utility Mixer I

Post by cygmu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 am

Nicely done as usual.

Can I ask about the 5.6pF caps on some of the op amps please? Usually if I see those I think they are for stability but IC3A, 4A and 6A look like being the least likely to go unstable in the whole circuit. You don't have such caps on the output op amps for example. So I wonder if they are for something else -- are they there to suppress high frequency noise?

And, related: do you find there is no need for such caps on the outputs, for stability?

Wiggling with Experience

Post by Haralds:Werk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:58 am

cygmu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 am
Nicely done as usual.

Can I ask about the 5.6pF caps on some of the op amps please? Usually if I see those I think they are for stability but IC3A, 4A and 6A look like being the least likely to go unstable in the whole circuit. You don't have such caps on the output op amps for example. So I wonder if they are for something else -- are they there to suppress high frequency noise?

And, related: do you find there is no need for such caps on the outputs, for stability?
The utility mixer is mostly used for CV processing. So the 5p6 caps are for cutting the peak overshot from fast rising input signals. Say square or ramp down from a LFO. You are correct for the output caps. I am coming from my banana system. There is no need for those caps but they might be useful for Eurorack systems. I should have added them for stability reasons to stay on the save(r) side. But I didn't have any stability problems up to now though. If you run into stability problems here, you can easily add those caps on the backside of the PCB parallel to the feedback resistors.
www.haraldswerk.de

Wiggling with Experience

Post by Haralds:Werk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:00 am

Just added the correct links in my first posts.
www.haraldswerk.de

Quinie
Common Wiggler

Post by Quinie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Harald, Thanks again for these designs. Just build you Quad VCA, left my phone at work else I would have made some pictures (maybe tomorrow).

I enjoy building you're modules. The designs are quite easy to build, only some SMD for decoupling cap. This can build your confidence "I can do SMD". Your mixer and passive multi board just came in the mail today. So you starting to build me a backlog here.

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Heh, I had forgotten completely about overshoot. Thank you.

As for the euro/banana distinction, I’m a banana person too, but is it the case that shielded cables present more difficult (more capacitive?) loads than single cable banana leads?

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Nice one! Harald reigns as the productivity champ here on Muffs diy!

Wiggling with Experience

Post by Haralds:Werk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 am

cygmu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:53 pm
Heh, I had forgotten completely about overshoot. Thank you.

As for the euro/banana distinction, I’m a banana person too, but is it the case that shielded cables present more difficult (more capacitive?) loads than single cable banana leads?
The shielded cables have some capacitance. You can look at them as a chain off R/C combination. Looking like a passive lowpass. The figures increases with length. There are OpAmps with problems driving capacitive loads. You can compensate for that with a cap in the feedback loop at the output OpAmp. Up to now I have not encountered any problems with capacitive loads in an Eurorack system though. Usually the cables are to short to cause problems.
www.haraldswerk.de

Wiggling with Experience

Post by Haralds:Werk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 am

devinw1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm
Nice one! Harald reigns as the productivity champ here on Muffs diy!
More to come. Still working on my publishing backlog. And some new stuff. I have a running prototype of a Quadrature trapezoid through zero LFO with all the usual wave forms at 90deg apart. And working on a scanning mixer and harmonic oscillator.
www.haraldswerk.de

Quinie
Common Wiggler

Post by Quinie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:03 am

Gerbers for panels (untested)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”