eurorack DIY FV-1 platform?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

japes
Learning to Wiggle

eurorack DIY FV-1 platform?

Post by japes » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:21 am

Hello all - curious if this is something that exists. I have a DIY FV-1 guitar pedal I quite like, but it would be nice to have one in eurorack format. Is this a thing?

fg
Common Wiggler

Re: eurorack DIY FV-1 platform?

Post by fg » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:26 am

http://dintree.com/

the D103 on this page for example

pld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pld » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:21 am

Not sure if you can still get 'em, but there's the 12HP and 8HP Dervisheses.

brawnywynn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by brawnywynn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:11 pm

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:22 pm

fx aid

mxzr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mxzr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:39 pm

There's also submodules by Electro Smith which is basically an FV-1 on a little breakout board. Relatively easy to implement as Eurorack module. I built mine according to a schematic I found here on the site.

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Post by MuadMusic » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:37 pm

O.K.
Mikhail at https://recklessexperimentationaudio.com/ has created prototype PCBs and Panels in Eurorack format (not yet available for sale). They provide the Electro-Smith.com submodule with all that's needed for a complete module. Here;s a demo using a couple of them with custom Delay and Reverb programs.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Once you have coded on a platform like daisy is it simple enough to port this to your own circuit?

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Post by MuadMusic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 am

@magicdust I'm using the "SpinCadDesigner" which is a GUI. It's very different (easier) from C++ development for the Daisy.

Spin Semiconductor has an IDE for programming for the FV-1 (SpinAsm). But it is all coding.

This is a better environment – SpinCad-Designer. It’s a gui with a simulator! Very effective, but perhaps not as well documented as I’d like.
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

If you want to program the FV-1, I highly recommend getting the dev env board ( FV-1 Development System :: SPN1001-DEV ).
I thought it would be cheap and “fast enough” to program the EEPROM via a TI MSP430 launchpad micro controller dev board … my mistake!

weasel79
Common Wiggler

Post by weasel79 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 am

wow this spin cad designer looks amazing, i was always put off the idea of lookin into fv-1 coding but this makes it seem feasible. then again, there are sooooo many good algorithms out there already, pedal pcb, happy nerding stuff etc etc.

that being said, i second the notion for the electro smith submodules, i use a ocuple and they are extremely convenient. strange that there is no cheap diy eurorack adapter pcb out there yet, recklessexperimental looks promising.

there are some small pedalpcb fv1 boards that would also fit into eurorack sizes but you'd need a bunch of level shifting because those expect guitar/line voltages.

fwiw happy nerdings FX AID (XL) absolutely nailed the best fv1 implementation with the firmware-webapp, update-via-audio, 32 algo-slots and full cv access to all 3 fv1 parameters. so unless you really are really commited to diy this is the best option.

maxl0rd
Common Wiggler

Post by maxl0rd » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Spin cad is decent training wheels, and a useful reference. However, for any real work on reverbs you will need to learn to program in the assembler.

I also think the official dev board is a worthwhile investment. It’s very reliable, and well integrated with the IDE.

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

i've been meaning to build an FV-1 euro platform for ages, but never got around to it.

not sure how much the dev board costs or its availability these days but it would be good to implement the same functionality into the module (pins for programming basically).

would love to learn assembly programming but the learning curve is more of a learning wall.. spinCAD is amazing but definitely feels limiting.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”