44 Key FATAR group buy, minimoog cases

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kevin Mitchell
Learning to Wiggle

Re: 44 Key FATAR group buy, minimoog cases

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:19 am

MikeDB wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Could someone fill me in on how the control surface finish affects the authenticity of the sound this will produce ? :sstorm:
Of course no one here would make those claims. We're simply hashing out cosmetic details. While they may not reflect on any final product here it's nice to see a genuine consideration for the FEEL of the vintage units being discussed. Even down to panel textures.

That being said - thanks for the info, KSS.

groove
Common Wiggler

Post by groove » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:31 am

I am interested in a keybed and chassis/case. I bought a faceplate and lhc replica a few years back and never moved forward with it...

pete

mlvesecky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mlvesecky » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:06 pm

KSS, I appreciate the input. A simple answer to all your points is: this is why I am making prototypes, I am aware of all of your concerns and have plans to deal with them. Not having an actual Minimoog to reference requires the design to be iterative and that is perfectly fine with me. This is not the build thread though, and clearly asking questions about panels got this group buy thread way too off topic (My fault). So I am going to clarify a few things about the case project and we can hopefully get back on topic to getting us some 44 key keybeds. I am just inquiring about case interest here because the two are related.

The faceplate design has been an evolution, which is why I explored all my options. I am not trying to make an exact replica, to answer bgreeves, yes, my goal is to make a reliable instrument with the physical presence and playability of the original. As close to the original design is of course ideal, but the ability to produce multiple is the most important, and given that I will be rebranding them from Moog, 100% authenticity is already off the table.

After doing some more research on the original panels and what people do to make replicas, I have landed on textured powder coating a 1mm aluminum panel in the same shape as the original leatherette, and silk screening it with epoxy. These are both processes that can easily be done locally. So I think the front panel design is decided short of looking at specific texture samples and deciding on which one. I have seen pictures of minimoogs with repro faceplates in this method and they look fantastic.

These cases will also be entirely finished before they are available for sale, with those who have shown early interest getting priority, committing to a sale before a prototype is even made is of course just asking for trouble. As for price, that will entirely depend on the cost of manufacturing the metal case and I unfortunately just don't know what that will be yet. After the first prototype I will have a much more solid idea of material and labor as well as a more specific ETA. The mid summer *goal* is most certainly not for the kit or faceplate, just the case for people who want to use reproduction hardware and faceplate (hole pattern etc will be based on my reproductions I have purchased). And you are correct, this may change depending on how long it takes to get the keyboards from FATAR or other parts.

To clear up any potential confusion, I do understand that goals and reality rarely line up, so in the interest of keeping expectations within the realm of likely setbacks, I will re evaluate my official estimate to winter 2021. I am not trying to rush this, summer is just my personal goal for the case, but seeing the response I want to keep everyones expectations within the realm of delays and setbacks, but also state what my intended goals are. The woodworking is not even remotely an issue, The potential setbacks are: not being satisfied with the quality of the CNC method for the hole pattern and having to find an alternative, and delays in arrival of parts. The combination of covid and the total failure of the US postal service has made this IMO the most likely cause of setbacks.

I am trying to make it very clear that these are goals for the case and not commitments, I am not trying to rush this and it is not my day job, hence why I will not be taking orders yet, just gauging interest. I have seen other small businesses' reputations destroyed by overcommitment so believe me, that is at the front of my mind at all times.

Right now I am focusing just making the first prototype, which starts with the FATAR group buy. I would like to get this thread back on that topic.
If you are also interested in a case keep letting me know though, it will inform how I plan the first run when it happens.

I will update the build thread when the build actually begins. I have been silent over there because I have been in talks about collaboration on the circuit design and will make an announcement regarding that when more details have been worked out.

Maybe I'm being obtuse but I can't seem to edit my first post anymore. So here is the current interest List.

UPADTE

FATAR:
JanneI
rsponholtz
emmaker
weasel79
Flounderguts
bgreeves
LED-man
sduck
Spliffgroen
masterofstuff124

Case Interest:
boops
masterofstuff124
MrRoper
Builderbc12
groove

To those who have shown interest in a case, thank you! and I will keep everyone updated on progress in the build thread. Let me know if you want to get in on this group buy to nail down your keyboard, I will have a few extra but can only afford so many on this first run.

Once we get a quote from sythcube I'll start nailing down commitments.

Lets get some keyboards!!! :sb: :sb: :sb:
Last edited by mlvesecky on Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masterofstuff124
Wiggling with Experience

Post by masterofstuff124 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm

sorry if i wasn't clear but id like the complete set which i assume ill need the case and the fatar for the MM build. so please add me to the fatar group buy in addition to the case as id like to build the whole thing.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:30 pm

Don't let the (constructive) criticizing put you down, that's just how the passionated game of Synth DIY runs, I guess. This is a project that SO many of us have planned to do "someday", so it's no wonder that many of us have strict ideas "how to do it right". It's going to be a miracle if you pull this off in a way that pleases EVERYONE here. Then consider yourself JEDI-level SDIYer ;-)

Wish you all the best with this endeavor and keep posting updates on the way fearlessly!

mlvesecky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mlvesecky » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:30 pm

masterofstuff124 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:26 pm
sorry if i wasn't clear but id like the complete set which i assume ill need the case and the fatar for the MM build. so please add me to the fatar group buy in addition to the case as id like to build the whole thing.
Thank you for the clarification! :tu: Updated.

JanneI
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JanneI » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:14 am

Put me down for the case too, dependent on the price and outcome of course!

MrRoper
Common Wiggler

Post by MrRoper » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:03 am

Just registering interest for the fatar keyboard as well!

bgreeves
Common Wiggler

Post by bgreeves » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:14 pm

You have me down for a keyboard but I'm also interested in a case pending cost and outcome

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:20 pm

mlvesecky wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:06 pm
I can't seem to edit my first post anymore. So here is the current interest List.
Yes, the powers that be made a change to how editing works - you can only edit posts for a week now. This is good on many fronts, but it was actually brought up that it wouldn't be so good for many of the DIY section threads that have become accustomed to editing thier first post. The solution, if you care to bother, is to contact a mod with the desired changes, and have them do it.

And like several others I want to be on the interest list for both the case and keyboard.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Return to “Music Tech DIY”