Troubleshooting EQ/bandpass circuit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Uncle Peter
Learning to Wiggle

Troubleshooting EQ/bandpass circuit

Post by Uncle Peter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 am

Hello,

I'm in the process of making a graphic equalizer module (hopefully 5 or 6 band) for my rack. After a bit of research into different kinds of filter circuits, the following two pole active filter from Dale's Homemade Robotics stood out to me:
graph eq.png
graph eq.png (24.68 KiB) Viewed 133 times
The website even has a nifty calculator for calculating the resistor values based on a fixed capacitor value.

https://www.wa4dsy.net/robot/bandpass-filter-calc

I decided to breadboard up this circuit for testing purposes. For my initial test, I decided to use a TL072 op-amp powered by a 12VDC external supply with the following parameters:

Center frequency: 1kHz
3dB frequency: 233Hz
Q-factor: 4.3
C1,2=0.1uF (ceramic)
R1= 6.8kΩ (trimpot)
R2=190Ω (trimpot)
R3=13.6kΩ (trimpot)
Voltage Gain: 1

I inputted an audio signal from my rack (a "strum" from 2HP Pluck) and outputted the filtered audio to my rack's audio out, as I would any other module.

However, there was no discernable difference in the filtered audio wrt the original sound. At first, I thought the op-amp was fried, but retesting with a TL084 gave the same results. Next, I tried switching to electrolytic capacitors, but the same thing. I even tried changing the parameters for a higher voltage gain, but the audio still sounded unfiltered, just a bit louder.

This has me thinking that maybe I need to add something to this circuit in order to hear the results. I should note that, as part of my EQ circuit as a whole, this "filtered audio" will eventually be fed into a voltage controlled amplifier, before being mixed together with the rest of the filtered audio from the other bands, via a summer circuit.

Along those lines, I decided to take the output of this circuit and pass it through a unity amplifier (simple inverting op-amp config with 100k resistors). The output oddly was static, overlaid with audio that sounded quasi-filtered.

It appears something isn't quite right with the way the audio is getting filtered, but I cannot seem to figure it out.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Edit: to fix R3 resistor value from 13.6 to 13.6k
Last edited by Uncle Peter on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Troubleshooting EQ/bandpass circuit

Post by djs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:30 pm

Maybe it's just me, but the cap values seem a little high... what if you switched them to 10nf or lower?

Also, the "oddly static" output sounds like some sort of clipping? Can you do a scope trace before and after?
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Not sure if it's a typo but R3 should be 13.6 kilo ohms.
Nice little Deliyannis filter :tu:

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:31 pm

What does the output look like on a scope?

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:43 pm

You can look at the monotropa circuit by reverselandfill. It has the resistors and caps values for a lot of bands and IIRC he uses that same bandpass typology.

Finaly the monotropa has a last opamp that feedback the output into the input and turns the whole thing into a evil analogic warming and destruction thing. I use it in every patch

Uncle Peter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Uncle Peter » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:54 pm

SphericalSound, thank you for that info, will definitely be checking out that circuit. Need to hammer down these values before I begin building.

Neil, thanks for spotting that typo, I have fixed it.

djs, I took your advice and swapped out the cap with a lower one (I only had 1nFs on hand and unfortunately no oscilloscope). It did reduce the static I was hearing down to a hum now. That got me thinking that it was perhaps a power supply issue, so I swapped out my 12VDC supply and took +-12V directly from my eurorack, and it fixed the problem. I could now hear the filtered audio with no background noise or static! Seems that was the problem all along. Thanks for the tip!

I did also have a question about band spacing for a graphic equalizer. Since module size is limited, I've decided that I could get away with 6 or 7 bands at the most on the module. Is there a generic rule for how to properly space the bands? I've heard of overlapping the bandwidths, but I think I would have to reduce the Q-factor of the filter to accomplish this.

Here's a quick frequency response I put together showing the gains of band that I chose: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200Hz bands with a Q-factor of 1.7, along with 10nF caps and resistances ranging from 1.8k - 550kΩ. A -3dB dashed line is also plotted to reference bandwidths.
bode-2poleband.png
Again my main concern is trying to balance numbers of bands with Q-factor, such that each band will actually be effective at filterting, yet when all the bands are summed together, the original audio signal is replicated as much as possible.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”