Faulty Magneto Question

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Faulty Magneto Question

Post by userfriendly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:34 pm

So I have a Strymon Magneto with faulty CV input for the speed. I contacted Strymon and they confirmed that is is a hardware issue. Unfortunately since I purchased it used it is 150$ flat rate for them to do the repair. I don't know if CV over speed is worth 150$...But I would like it to work. The jacks on the Magneto are the kind that have a clear cover so you can see the inner workings of the jack. Everything seems to be making contact with the cable tip and ring and the solder points look fine. Would it still be worth replacing the jack to see if that fixes it? I'm handy enough with a soldering iron to make cables and simple DIY but I still get nervous about doing further damage. Basically I'm just wondering if it is worth the risk and time, or if it is mostly like some other problem deeper into the module?

MikeDB
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Faulty Magneto Question

Post by MikeDB » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 pm

No need to replace the jack. Just plug in a cable and use a multimeter to probe from one end of the cable to the PCB to see if each wire is making contact.

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:27 pm

MikeDB wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 pm
No need to replace the jack. Just plug in a cable and use a multimeter to probe from one end of the cable to the PCB to see if each wire is making contact.
Oh cool. Okay I’ll do that to start

userfriendly
Common Wiggler

Post by userfriendly » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:07 pm

Just an update on this. I tested the speed input on the module with a multimeter and everything seemed fine. I couldn't really think of what else to do. So I put it back in the case and just randomly tried using the speed cv input again. And it worked! I was using an LS1 light strip to control it. I have the jumper on the ls1 set to +10V. So I attenuated with channel two of Maths and had much better control over the speed. Then the control seemed to get a little spotty. Then it disappeared again and I was back to having no CV over the speed. I tried wiggling the jack around a bit a still nothing. I turned the case off for a bit and let it cool down for a few minutes, turned the case back on and still nothing. Im going to repeat the process tomorrow and see if the same thing happens. At this point, I am more interested than I am upset.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”