DIY'ed Ritual Crime?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

DIY'ed Ritual Crime?

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:12 pm

not sure if you're familiar with ritual electronics' miasma distortion module, but i've been having issues finding the crime expander module (new or used) anywhere. all it does is let you switch between the clipping diodes, so i'm thinking it should be pretty easy to diy myself.

the big question i have for y'all is whether anyone else has diy'ed this module. how'd it go? any advice? that sort of stuff.

more realistically, i'm hoping you can steer me towards the best switches to use for this build. if i remember my p's and t's correctly, a pair of dpxt switches would be ideal (where x is probably 5 or 6), that way i can connect and disconnect both ends of the x number of diodes i decide to use. first question, is that right?

second, would i be able to use spxt switches safely, by soldering all x diodes' either positive or negative ends together, then connecting the opposite end to the switch? if so, would there be any difference between soldering the positive vs negative ends together?

finally, any chance y'all know of a good switch that'll let me switch between at least 5 diodes and also fit under a 2-4hp panel? i'm not too concerned about whether it's a slide switch or rotary switch or what, so long as it'll fit under a decently small panel.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Re: DIY'ed Ritual Crime?

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:33 pm

just found this switch (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NK ... 52BFhF8%3D). it's a dp6t rotary switch and about .5" in diameter, for $13.50, so a little pricey and a little too big for a 2hp panel, but probably in the ballpark of what i'll have to use?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm

You can do it in 2HP if you use tact switches, LED's, an up down counter, and a switch IC. Not so good as an easy project though. Small rotaries from gray hill would work.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:20 pm

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 pm

that's a really good idea i hadn't thought of, but a bit more effort than i want to dedicate right now. i've got a box from thonk on the way now and haven't finished building everything from the last box yet :p

there's a decent chance i'll come back to that idea when i have more time to diy though.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm

oooh, thanks for that link. it looks to be smaller and cheaper than the one i linked to.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 pm

@OP The switch you liked is non-shorting. The one linked by EYG is shorting.

Not sure which contact timing you need, but that *could* be an important difference.

The NKK also comes with the skirted knob.

------------------------
Edit: A 2PxT slide switch should be easy to find. Where x=2 to 8. Still need to get the correct contact timing, but that type 'could' fit in 2HP. And easily in 3 or 4 HP.
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 pm

In this application it doesn't matter because the switch selects different flavors of diode clamps on an audio signal that is already buffered anyway. The lowest Vf wins when they are in parallel. You can also get a variant of the same switch in break before make. Same as a non-shorting. I prefer the language break before make.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:54 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 pm
In this application it doesn't matter because the switch selects different flavors of diode clamps on an audio signal that is already buffered anyway. The lowest Vf wins when they are in parallel. You can also get a variant of the same switch in break before make. Same as a non-shorting. I prefer the language break before make.
good to know. i'll probably do some more looking tomorrow, and see what this thread has to say, then order something. thanks so much for the help so far!

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm

now i'm looking at this switch (https://www.ebay.com/itm/264606912604?ul_noapp=true). i'm hoping it'll be small enough for a 2hp panel, but if i understand these grayhill switches it's 'only' a dp5t?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:03 am

Don't worry about how many poles you have. 5 6 whatever. Even a DPDT would be ok and that can fit in 2HP to select two different diodes. You can also make a binary tree with switches. 2 switches is 4 diode selections. You are counting in binary. 3 switches is 8 choices. In 2 HP you can't really do 4 selections on 2 switches with small switches but you can do it on 3 switches. This is because of the number of poles you need to do a binary tree. So 3 DPDT in 2 HP gives you 4 selections. Label it bank A bank B. Switch A, Switch B. When in bank A, switch B has no affect.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:10 am

The grayhill switches are 'all' nominal 1/2" 12,7mm body diameter. They won't fit behind a 2HP panel. The one you linked also does not include its little packet of mounting hardware, according to the listing. <--You've got to look for things like this when you source from Ebay or other non-standard distributor resources! There's a reasopn these are being sold on Ebay and you need to know why or you might get a pig in a poke.

EYGs binary multiple sw plan is a good alternative if you're commited to 2HP. I'd use toggle switches. And if they're submini type they can actuate sideways*, and be placed close enough together to be actuated in grupo. <--You can flip to various three or four bit combinations easily and quickly with 'one' motion. It's also bitwise expandable, so you can add more options if you decide to. Start with 4 and go up if you need more.

*mini toggles are too wide to mount on a 2HP pamel with side-to-side toggling. For that matter, they're too wide either directon in DP type!

but I'd still look for a multi position slide switch first. As long as you have a reliable way to make the panel and cutout.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:40 am

There are more tricks you can do if you know the Vf of each diode. You can wire the switches in parallel with Vf ranked low to high. The lowest Vf that is engaged will be the diode clamp you hear regardless of the switch position of the blue LED. Germanium diode is the smallest Vf so it will be what you hear when you engage germanium. The blue LED can be hardwired without any switch. You can test Vf with your multimeter.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler

Post by gtrmstr53 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:37 pm

i ended up going with these guys (https://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAYHILL-MINIA ... 2749.l2649). thanks again for the pointer EATyourGUITAR. i'm thinking i'll just solder the diodes to the switches, no pcb required, and get a nice 4hp module after all.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”