Starting DIY in 2021 - sensible starting kit, having read the forum's stickied resources?

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Starting DIY in 2021 - sensible starting kit, having read the forum's stickied resources?

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:02 pm

Hello.

I would like to start DIYing. I've had a read of the forum's stickied threads, and a fair few of these are out of date and / or refer to products that are no longer in production. I've spent a good few hours reading equipment threads now and feel I'm not much further along in actually ordering stuff, so compiling this thread (based on the stickied resources and the threads they link to) seemed potentially sensible.

I would hugely appreciate comments, particularly on soldering irons where I feel I've hit a wall - a combination of recommendations for models that are out of production, plus a wall of models on offer with differences I don't fully understand, plus some confusion over tips (and whether the ones identified will work with the irons identified, and if they are appropriate irrespective!)

I am very much flying in ignorance here, and navigating information that I do not consistently understand. I hope I haven't missed any obvious recent 'starting from scratch threads'; any thoughts appreciated.

Sources:
tools viewtopic.php?t=839
Multimeters: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=239316&hilit=multimeter
Soldering irons: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1454&start=125
Solder: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20123&start=175

I am unsure if I need a bench supply for power, and an Oscope. I am telling myself this will work out cheaper in the long run (so long as I don't cost my time)!

Soldering station
WE 1010 (?) £146 @ Farnell. Weller seem well reviewed on the soldering iron thread; a station appears to be a bit less work than piecing together an iron plus... other bits? I'm running on a mix of assessing price (enough to feel uncomfortable) and a vague comparison of wattage here.

Or https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077B9Q6SJ/ ... Hakko 888D, £131 on Amazon, actually recommended on the other soldering thread. This seems perhaps more sensible, given the specific recommendation and my inability to otherwise parse the info in the data sheets.

Desoldering pump
DP-100 Jonard, recommended in original tools thread, still in stock at Mouser @£16

Wire stripper w/ spring
One listed in the tools thread no longer sold on Mouser. This one @£9?

Angled end cutters, 4"
Xcelite cutters listed in the original thread still stocked @ mouser, £6

Needle-nose pliers, 5"
Still stocked at mouser, £24

Lead benders
Eagle ones in the original thread still in stock at mouser, now £5!

Screwdriver tip for soldering irons, 0.06"
0.6"? This recommended for Weller in the original tools thread, @£3; I'm not sure if this is interchangeable betweeen weller models.
The only goer I can find for Hakken looks like this 0.15mm (i.e., 0.06") 60 degree bevel tip. Is this the right territory?

Solder
Everyone - including the solder thread - seems to recommend what's in the tools thread, i.e. Kester 63/37.
The tools thread recommended 0.2mm and 0.31mm. £59 and £47 respectively.

Following comments below...
Kester 63/37 331 / water soluble flux core, 0.025", £41 @ Farnell
Kester 63/37 245 / no wash flux core, 0.02", £52 at Farnell

Fume extractor
This one picked entirely at random, Aven, £35

Digital multimeter
Recent recommendations for the hand-held ExTech Ex530, @£175
Plus contrasting views that this could be precision overkill and the £100 Tenma bench multimeter would be fine
And positive noises for the Brymen 869s, £c.160

Magnifier
Adafruit 2x with little crocodile clips, no loss if it's terrible tbf and the next ones up on mouser are big money

Calipers
Sparkfun 6" digital £11.40

Is there anything obvious missing here? Anything that is just a gopping great n00b error? Thank you in advance.

Additions recommended in-thread

Wide range of soldering iron tips

Solder with water-soluble flux
In 0.03" / 0.7mm for through-hole - Kester 331 [listed by mouser as no clean, listed by Kester as water soluble] or 245 [listed by mouser as no clean, listed by Kester as no clean]?

Flux pens

Solder wick

A PCB holder

Amscope stereo microscope
Last edited by Kawouddd on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 am, edited 7 times in total.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Starting DIY in 2021 - sensible starting kit, having read the forum's stickied resources?

Post by oldenjon » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:43 pm

I've never felt like I needed lead benders, I use needle nose pliers or do it by hand. Desoldering pump will come down to taste. I like the kind with a silicon tip for better suction, but it needs to be cleaned more frequently. You can get cheap solder tip sets on amazon that are good to start with. They don't last as long but having a variety of tip types which is good for learning technique(s) and what you like to work with. Get some solder with water-soluble flux in addition to solder with no-clean flux. The former is good for everything except parts that would be damaged by exposure to water, and makes cleanup so much easier. I use Kester 331 and 245 IIRC. Only get a magnifier if you have poor vision or if you plan on working with tiny smt parts. I find I don't need one generally. Don't cheap out on Solder Iron and DMM. The Weller looks good, don't know anything about that DMM though. Working somewhere well ventilated is preferable to cheap fume extractors IMO. What are you using calipers for?
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Starting DIY in 2021 - sensible starting kit, having read the forum's stickied resources?

Post by emmaker » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:51 pm

One thing here is if you're going to be doing thru-hole parts or SMT or both. They take different tools.

Get a temp controlled iron that has a good selection of tips. I can use up to 5 tips depending on the board. Big heavy screw driver tip for soldering heat sinks or parts onto large copper areas. Medium screw driver or chisel tips for thru-hole and larger SMDs. Small chisel or point tips for SMDs and small areas.

Solder I use 4 spools. Have both water soluble and no clean flux in 0.03"/0.7mm diameter for thru-hole and 0.015/0.38mm diameter for SMT.

+ Flux pens, solder wick and tweezers.

Some people buy cheap tools and replace them, some good tools and take care of them. Your call. My needle nose, diagonals, wire stripper and lead bender are abut 40 years old.

Jay S.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Thank you, both.

Definitely through hole to begin with.

Really appreciate the solder recommendations.

My upstairs spare room is well ventilated, but I suspect an additional fan wouldn’t hurt?

I have no idea what I’d use calipers for, but they were recommended in the original tools thread! I couldn’t see an obvious application, but they’re pretty inexpensive and my 6yo loves measuring!

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:58 pm
I have no idea what I’d use calipers for, but they were recommended in the original tools thread! I couldn’t see an obvious application, but they’re pretty inexpensive and my 6yo loves measuring!
If you get into making your own modules, source your own parts or want to make your own front panels they come in handy. There you need to make some pretty close measurements.

When making your own modules. Pick the parts, look at the data sheets for the parts dimensions and then do your board layout.

Jay S.

tassie tiger
Common Wiggler

Post by tassie tiger » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:00 pm

I have a Hakko 888D soldering iron and love it - I bought a variety of tips at the same time. I'm sure Weller is good too.
I bought a modest multimeter that is reasonably accurate, rather than blowing several hundred bucks on something super (it was 80/20 rule for me) - UNI-T UT61E Digital Multimeter.
Have never needed a lead bending tool - just go by hand or use something lying around.
Money spent on good solder is money well spent, as it makes soldering a joy rather than a PITA.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Oh, add a good PCB vise/holder to the list if you're doing through hole soldering. Something like this:

"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:23 am

tassie tiger wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:00 pm
I have a Hakko 888D soldering iron and love it - I bought a variety of tips at the same time. I'm sure Weller is good too.
I bought a modest multimeter that is reasonably accurate, rather than blowing several hundred bucks on something super (it was 80/20 rule for me) - UNI-T UT61E Digital Multimeter.
Thank you. A couple of questions arising.

i) where did you find the tips, and which ones did you buy & why? I haven’t been successful at finding Hakko tips (?) I think (?) and am not yet clear on sensible rationales for choosing them. Some of the unpacking / description earlier was very helpful, I still don’t have a clear idea of what i should choose plus why. Context: my soldering experience was mostly with school / my parents’ soldering irons, which were effectively very hot metal lumps.

ii) what’s the 80/20 rule?

Cheers!

ZTX500
Common Wiggler

Post by ZTX500 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:39 am

You can, of course, get cheaper versions of much of this stuff on ebay for a fraction of the price. Personally, I would buy generic 0.5mm leaded solder on ebay, and use the money saved to get a flux pen (or liquid flux) and solder wick. An old toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol (ebay again) are good for cleaning up boards after soldering.

A bench power supply and oscilloscope are extremely useful if you are designing your own modules, but likely overkill when starting out with DIY kits.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:30 am

ZTX500 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:39 am
You can, of course, get cheaper versions of much of this stuff on ebay for a fraction of the price. Personally, I would buy generic 0.5mm leaded solder on ebay, and use the money saved to get a flux pen (or liquid flux) and solder wick. An old toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol (ebay again) are good for cleaning up boards after soldering.

A bench power supply and oscilloscope are extremely useful if you are designing your own modules, but likely overkill when starting out with DIY kits.
Thank you. I’ll park the bench power supply and oscilloscope!

After years of being brutally skint, I’m alright at the moment; given my clear lack of competence, if spending more would make things easier that’s a trade off that is almost certainly going to be worth it (for me!) at the moment. There were strong recommendations for spending a fair whack on soldering irons, certainly, in the threads I’ve found. And I think that’s enough to sell me on the value of pushing my comfort zone wrt a DIY setup. Appreciate all advice - I have a good stock of isopropyl alcohol for cleaning skate bearings.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:50 pm

I have a blog of my DIY builds (including cases, etc) that lists my tools (from bodging £7 function generators and £18 oscilloscopes to decent kit)

www.batguitars.co.uk

A friend has his blog:

http://modular.ob1techno.com

(Both of us are in the UK - the blogs may or may not be useful !)

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:50 pm
I have a blog of my DIY builds (including cases, etc) that lists my tools (from bodging £7 function generators and £18 oscilloscopes to decent kit)

www.batguitars.co.uk

A friend has his blog:

Interesting. I nearly wrote fantastic, but whilst their content is fantastic I haven’t quite seen the applied information that would make it contextually fantastic quite yet 😂 Great blogs. I’ll have a rummage. Cheers!

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:35 pm
forestcaver wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:50 pm

www.batguitars.co.uk

A friend has his blog:

Interesting. I nearly wrote fantastic, but whilst their content is fantastic I haven’t quite seen the applied information that would make it contextually fantastic quite yet 😂 Great blogs. I’ll have a rummage. Cheers!
Have a look in modular-> tools !

I started off witha £10 dmm and an old soldering iron from my dad.

I dont use a pcb vice, I use a piece of cut off skirting board to rest pcbs on (non-conductive and heat resistant!)

I dont use wire strippers - just a knife. I bend through hole leads with my fingers or rarely pliers. Flush cutting wire cutters and side cutting are handy. Tweezers in two different sizes are handy. (I like surgical needle ones as well as serrated. Artery forceps can be handy for managing wires etc)

I quickly built a cheap sacrificial power supply to test modules so I didnt risk my working modules. This cost about £7 using a dc-dc supply and a 9 dc walwart.

To test and debug them I built a £7 xr2206 based function generator and a £18 dso138 oscilloscope.
When I started on smt I bought a magnifying visor - I was doing 0402 with it.

You need a hot air station when you do smt (I only use it for removal or for soldering qfn packages - £30 but check the grounding - depending on the model you get!) I do all my smt soldering with solderwire and an iron.

Desoldering braid in different thicknesses is helpful. Solder suckers can be ok...

Flux is essential for smt (less so to basically completely unnecessary for through hole) - I use mg chemicals rosin flux pens.

As I got keener I bought a better soldering iron (ersa analog 60, which I love - I use two tips - a large one for through hole, 0603 and tssop/stm32 etc and a fine tip for 0402 passives and smaller). I also built a MI module tester for deeper testing and a good rigol oscilloscope. I also got a brymen bm869s dmm for calibrating digital v/oct sources.

The best purchase ever was an amscope stereo microscope - best thing I ever bought - it meant the end to soldering errors as you can see what you are doing!

You can get a long way cheaply if you think about what to get/build but imo you need some sort of dmm, oscilloscope, cheap psu and function generator (all can be bought for about £40-50 total)

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:23 am
i) where did you find the tips, and which ones did you buy & why? I haven’t been successful at finding Hakko tips (?) I think (?) and am not yet clear on sensible rationales for choosing them. Some of the unpacking / description earlier was very helpful, I still don’t have a clear idea of what i should choose plus why. Context: my soldering experience was mostly with school / my parents’ soldering irons, which were effectively very hot metal lumps.
There is no absolute answer for this, there are a number of things that affect what to use.

Size of the components you are soldering.
SMDs verses thru-hole.
Is the part on a heat sink or large copper area where you need more heat.
Are you going to melt solder on a solder joint or do you need a bead of solder on the iron tip to do something.

Here is what I use on my Weller WES50 iron:
* Areas with a heat sink or large copper area and thru-hole parts. 1/4" screw driver tip.
* Standard thru-hole parts either an 1/8" or 1/16" screw driver tips.
* For standard SMDs usually use an 1/16" chisel tip. Larger SMDs I might use a 1/8" chisel tip. These can hold a bead of solder to solder SMDs or tint a pad. There are tips that have a well (little bowl) in them to hold a solder bead. Also note when you do this all the solder flux is burnt off the tip and you should use additional flux on the joint.
* For touch up and some really small joints use a needle tip. Pointed tips like this loose heat pretty fast and aren't good for soldering larger areas.

Happy soldering.
Jay S.

tassie tiger
Common Wiggler

Post by tassie tiger » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
tassie tiger wrote:

Bought my 888D from Australian seller Mektronics so, unless you also happen to live at the bottom of the world, not much use to you.
You could buy a tip-pack like https://www.mektronics.com.au/hakko-fx8 ... kit-1.html for through-hole soldering, or each one individually. The tip-pack contains most of the ones I use week in, week out.

Well I've borrowed from the Pareto principle, and the gist is that 80% of completing an undertaking consumes 20% of resources, and the final 20% of completing an undertaking consumes 80% of resources. Hence, in most cases, having a DMM that has 'modest' functionality will see you right for 80% of your DIY work. If you really need a super-accurate DMM, then you're likely to pay significantly more to achieve that 20%.

Cheers!

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:04 am

tassie tiger wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm
Kawouddd wrote:
tassie tiger wrote:

Bought my 888D from Australian seller Mektronics so, unless you also happen to live at the bottom of the world, not much use to you.
You could buy a tip-pack like https://www.mektronics.com.au/hakko-fx8 ... kit-1.html for through-hole soldering, or each one individually. The tip-pack contains most of the ones I use week in, week out.

Well I've borrowed from the Pareto principle, and the gist is that 80% of completing an undertaking consumes 20% of resources, and the final 20% of completing an undertaking consumes 80% of resources. Hence, in most cases, having a DMM that has 'modest' functionality will see you right for 80% of your DIY work. If you really need a super-accurate DMM, then you're likely to pay significantly more to achieve that 20%.

Cheers!
Thank you. In my home field, 20% of offenders commit 80% of crime, so it sounds as if the Pareto principle has broad reach. Appreciated!

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:09 am

forestcaver wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:42 pm
Have a look in modular-> tools !

I started off witha £10 dmm and an old soldering iron from my dad.

I dont use a pcb vice, I use a piece of cut off skirting board to rest pcbs on (non-conductive and heat resistant!)

I dont use wire strippers - just a knife. I bend through hole leads with my fingers or rarely pliers. Flush cutting wire cutters and side cutting are handy. Tweezers in two different sizes are handy. (I like surgical needle ones as well as serrated. Artery forceps can be handy for managing wires etc)

I quickly built a cheap sacrificial power supply to test modules so I didnt risk my working modules. This cost about £7 using a dc-dc supply and a 9 dc walwart.

To test and debug them I built a £7 xr2206 based function generator and a £18 dso138 oscilloscope.
When I started on smt I bought a magnifying visor - I was doing 0402 with it.

You need a hot air station when you do smt (I only use it for removal or for soldering qfn packages - £30 but check the grounding - depending on the model you get!) I do all my smt soldering with solderwire and an iron.

Desoldering braid in different thicknesses is helpful. Solder suckers can be ok...

Flux is essential for smt (less so to basically completely unnecessary for through hole) - I use mg chemicals rosin flux pens.

As I got keener I bought a better soldering iron (ersa analog 60, which I love - I use two tips - a large one for through hole, 0603 and tssop/stm32 etc and a fine tip for 0402 passives and smaller). I also built a MI module tester for deeper testing and a good rigol oscilloscope. I also got a brymen bm869s dmm for calibrating digital v/oct sources.

The best purchase ever was an amscope stereo microscope - best thing I ever bought - it meant the end to soldering errors as you can see what you are doing!

You can get a long way cheaply if you think about what to get/build but imo you need some sort of dmm, oscilloscope, cheap psu and function generator (all can be bought for about £40-50 total)
Thank you - appreciated! I’m currently time poor (so time poor! Just emerging from endless lockdown, single parenting a 6yo and two dogs whilst working f/t) but financially stable - anything that needs to be built is likely to be (at the moment) both beyond my skill set and a poor trade off for a few more quid. SMT is a way off 😂 Really appreciate many of the suggestions here - for soldering wick and microscopes in particular. Cheers!

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:48 am

Right, not all parts numbers were easy to track, should anyone else be looking to start up these two orders were about £300ea.

I went for a £75 fume extractor, partly bc I like breathing and just. Well. It seems a sensible thing to punt some money on.

Three rolls of solder - I haven’t got one of the Roisin cores, there’s a no wash and water soluble.

Anything else? Oh, the station was no longer on a deal. I went with Weller plus a tonne of tips, c.£210 overall.
Attachments
6D53EC28-994C-49FF-AAA7-8F5CCAE8B005.png
A5EE615A-05E4-4C1C-8D00-128D2B9FF78E.jpeg

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:49 am

Multimeter not yet ordered.

Nick66
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nick66 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:39 pm

forestcaver wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Amen! The big lens things with croc clips are nearly useless because of reflections. I got an old stereoscopic school science microscope thing, fairly cheap, and it was transformative. With it, its easy to forget how small the stuff you are working on actually is and even mundane jobs like soldering on headers are so much neater because you can clearly see what you are doing.

The Peasant
Common Wiggler

Post by The Peasant » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:04 pm

The Jonard desoldering pump from Mouser is inexpensive, but I would spend a bit more for something better. Their products are copies of the original Soldapullt type, but they use a much more brittle plastic for them and they tend to break.

This one, for example, costs more but is built like a tank and should last a lifetime:

Take care,
Doug
The Electronic Peasant

www.electronicpeasant.com

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:07 pm

The Peasant wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:04 pm
The Jonard desoldering pump from Mouser is inexpensive, but I would spend a bit more for something better. Their products are copies of the original Soldapullt type, but they use a much more brittle plastic for them and they tend to break.

This one, for example, costs more but is built like a tank and should last a lifetime:

Take care,
Doug
Thank you. This order has gone in. If I make it past three projects or this one breaks, I’ll explore!

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 am

I soldered a thing 😎

Additions: a soldering mat. Because when I fired up a 350 degree soldering iron on our £800 oak dining table, I suddenly had second thoughts.

Important n00b lessons: Mouser is in the US. Any electrical devices shipped from the us will need a step down transformer 🤦‍♂️
55554C44-2490-464C-B05E-FA58BCB32A12.jpeg
I have a Gieskes vu perc to begin with, and a couple more Gieskes projects coming. They’re not too expensive and I want what they do. Which seems like an important start.

Plus, I think, the last set of studworth tocantes! (With a BOM that I need to revisit, or that the final components for will ship in October 😂)

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:47 pm

Apart from the fact that it doesn’t output audio, I’d call that a complete success 😂 It didn’t even blow up my skiff. Amazing!

Some difficulty soldering the piezo. I wonder if I’ve damaged it, or upfucked slmething else 🤷‍♂️ No matter!
63DB3B5A-BCAE-4A59-862C-E826A58E9D69.jpeg
https://youtube.com/shorts/NN9ZO5otsPo

burdickjp
Common Wiggler

Post by burdickjp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:14 pm

I reach for desoldering braid much more often than a solder sucker. I think different people have different preferences for how they remove excess solder or desolder components.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”