THATCorp Contact

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: THATCorp Contact

Post by KSS » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:32 pm

We're probably only seeing the tip of the iceberg at this point. Or THAT* point, considering the thread. ;)

*Going to be far more than THAT I'm afraid.
Last edited by KSS on Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:56 pm

Indeed. And also, the interwebs tells me THAT has less than 200 employees total. They are a small operation. Probably don't have their own fabs. If THAT's the case, they will be more at the mercy of the supply chain than the more integrated/larger operations like TI as we dig out of this mess.

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:11 pm

KSS wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:32 pm
Going to be far more than THAT I'm afraid.
It is. The whole electronic parts market has been shaken. Mostly the more sophisticated parts that are usually not being made in huge numbers, like pots and switches and specialty ICs. But even some everyday parts that are normally being stocked in the millions with the larger distros have run out or are subject to several weeks waiting list.

MikeDB
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MikeDB » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:28 pm

devinw1 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:56 pm
Indeed. And also, the interwebs tells me THAT has less than 200 employees total. They are a small operation. Probably don't have their own fabs. If THAT's the case, they will be more at the mercy of the supply chain than the more integrated/larger operations like TI as we dig out of this mess.
Definitely won't have their own fab. Probably use someone like Tower who will consider low volume analogue parts.

Big problem is in ADCs and DACs as the AKM fab fire has put other manufacturers parts in very high demand, with everyone designing in not just one alternative part but sometimes two or more, just to make sure they can ship something. Of course because of Covid demand for medium performance small digital consoles for home studios has gone through the roof.

loki
Common Wiggler

Post by loki » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm pretty sure they do have their own fab. From the 1280 datasheet: "Manufactured in THAT Corporation’s
proprietary complementary dielectric isolation (DI) process, the 1280 series provides the sonic benefits of discrete designs with the simplicity, reliability, matching, and small size of a fully integrated solution."

I seem to remember their fab being in Milpitas, California. I think they bought the Milpitas fab that Elantec owned before they were bought by Intersil. Elantec's parts were dielectrically isolated. I do wonder if they have deep enough pockets to survive the disruption of their business that the last year has caused.

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:14 am

I've had another message yesterday, it seems the parts really are on the way to the distros and should be available in the next two weeks. Probably there is a large number of old orders to be filled first, so not too many may become available to the small end customers. Better keep your eyes peeled.

MikeDB
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MikeDB » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:45 am

loki wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 pm
I'm pretty sure they do have their own fab. From the 1280 datasheet: "Manufactured in THAT Corporation’s
proprietary complementary dielectric isolation (DI) process, the 1280 series provides the sonic benefits of discrete designs with the simplicity, reliability, matching, and small size of a fully integrated solution."

I seem to remember their fab being in Milpitas, California. I think they bought the Milpitas fab that Elantec owned before they were bought by Intersil. Elantec's parts were dielectrically isolated. I do wonder if they have deep enough pockets to survive the disruption of their business that the last year has caused.
Yes you're correct. Very surprised for such a small company but good on them. Fabs have been a licence to print money since Covid so I'm sure they are doing fine. They even offer the process to others so maybe some of these other small synth IC companies use them.

Some of what THAT Corporation offers as foundry services to outside semiconductor customers include;

1. A 40V, fully complementary bipolar process with precision thin-film resistors. This process is based on dielectric isolation (DI), and offers discrete-component performance within an integrated circuit. Inter-device isolation ranges up to 200V.

2. A 40V JI process with vertical NPN’s and Lateral PNP’s. This process can also be fabricated with precision thin film resistors.

3. Thin Film deposition services can be provided on a stand-alone basis. Our precision thin film resistors can be manufactured with high sheet resistance and low TCR. We also offer Aluminum sputter deposition services.

4. Other fab processes; THAT offers a variety of other fab processes including diffusion, photomasking and etching of 100mm wafers.

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 am

loki wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:21 pm
I'm pretty sure they do have their own fab.
https://www.edn.com/audio-ic-supplier-t ... rom-sipex/
MikeDB wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:45 am
They even offer the process to others so maybe some of these other small synth IC companies use them.
Hmmm.. maybe one or two. Alfa have their own fab in Latvia, CoolAudio is China, I'm pretty sure SSI don't use them, so that leaves CEM???

Neil
Random ramblings :: http://www.njohnson.co.uk
SSI parts and more :: https://www.cesyg.co.uk

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:41 am

neil.johnson wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:11 am
Hmmm.. maybe one or two. Alfa have their own fab in Latvia, CoolAudio is China, I'm pretty sure SSI don't use them, so that leaves CEM???
Neil
I believe CEM chips are made at OnChip.

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:57 pm

infinitemachinery wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:41 am
neil.johnson wrote:
Neil
I think you mean OnChip Systems, not OnChip Devices.
https://www.curtiselectromusic.com/firm-overview.html

A bit more info here: viewtopic.php?t=162704

Neil

infinitemachinery
Common Wiggler

Post by infinitemachinery » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:20 pm

neil.johnson wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:57 pm
infinitemachinery wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:41 am
neil.johnson wrote:
Neil
I think you mean OnChip Systems, not OnChip Devices.
https://www.curtiselectromusic.com/firm-overview.html

A bit more info here: viewtopic.php?t=162704

Neil
You’re right. Thanks for that info. I knew it was OnChip something 😀

neil.johnson
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neil.johnson » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:57 pm

:tu:

loki
Common Wiggler

Post by loki » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:27 pm

Remember that OnChip Systems is a fabless design house. They use a foundry for fabrication, I don't know who. I would also like to know who is the foundry for Sound Semiconductor?

MikeDB
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MikeDB » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:46 am

My current guess for both is Diodes Inc's Chinese fab, who also make some audio devices for CoolAudio and Everest Semi. But it's purely a guess based on some key performance specs unless I decapitate some ICs when there's usually a few more clues.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:54 am

This is a bit OT but there was some talk on THAT fab locations.

I bought some That2252 from ebay that were dead on arrival.

The original ones have a date code
Malasia9504b m001 and these ebay ones have Singapore 111L?

Ebay seller days he has sold lots without issue but not working for me so wondering if THAT would have fab’d in singapore.

MikeDB
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MikeDB » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 am

The markings will be the packaging location. Processed wafers are shipped to other places for final test and assembly.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:32 am

Ahh thanks - maybe i’ll contact THAT and ask if they are legit codes.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”