designing modules from scratch

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

deadpang
Learning to Wiggle

designing modules from scratch

Post by deadpang » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm

this is admittedly a bit obtuse, seeing that I have zero experience with electrical engineering or programming, but what all goes into designing modules from scratch? As far as I can tell, one would need a robust understanding of programming, electrical engineering and soldering. I'm planning on getting some DIY kits to get my feet wet, but I'm trying to put together a conceptual understanding of what it would take to design a basic oscillator from scratch. Also, is there a typical programming language used to design modules or is the language used just dependent on the designer?

htor
Veteran Wiggler

Re: designing modules from scratch

Post by htor » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:51 pm

i'd start watching this guy just to make it simpler (at least it worked for me):

you don't need to learn programming to make an analog VCO, but if you want to build a digital one, yes. there are several languages to choose from. c++ is popular. arduino is a c++ library which is very popular.

jingo
Common Wiggler

Post by jingo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Teensy is also a good starting point if you want to go for a digital module.

joem
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joem » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:33 pm

If you're not planning on doing formal EE education, then build some kits, study some schematics, play around with things, try to understand how things work. The Look Mum No Computer videos are indeed a pretty good resource in that case. So is the Logic Noise series from Hackaday: https://hackaday.com/tag/logic-noise/ (scroll to the older ones with the matching header images). That's a great series that steps you through some things, encourages experimentation, and explains some things without getting too heavy.

comrade_zero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by comrade_zero » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzfW6S ... Ptdr3n-_Og
Check out Moritz Klein's Youtube series. For more in depth (and math heavy) discussions, check out Aaron Lanterman's excellent university lectures.
https://www.youtube.com/user/abovenyquist
Other good resources include the electro-music DIY forum, musicfromouterspace, Barton musical circuits, and the webpages of Rene Schmitz.
In my opinion analog is easier to get started in than digital, but that will come down to programming experience.
Some consideration before you get started:1)What format will you be designing for? 2)What function do you want your module to perform? 3)What is unique about what you want to design? 4)What method of panel material/printing/fabrication will you select?
Also consider that the learning path will include everything from circuit design to PCB layout to panel and graphic design, as well as component selection. If you go digital add programming/testing/troubleshooting into the mix.
Good luck, hope this helps.

bgreeves
Common Wiggler

Post by bgreeves » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 pm

Here's one piece advice for after you've gotten ahold of the basics and want to start designing your own: browse this forum regularly! You can pick up on good/bad practices and see others go through the process of designing their modules.

zerogroupsystems
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zerogroupsystems » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:48 am

There are several good recommendations in this thread, and I'd like to add the book "Handmade Electronic Music" (the first edition at least is great, I haven't seen later ones).

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:28 pm

no programming required to do electrical engineering. everything is here for free.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:17 am

zerogroupsystems wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:48 am
There are several good recommendations in this thread, and I'd like to add the book "Handmade Electronic Music" (the first edition at least is great, I haven't seen later ones).
Ordered. Cheers!

mtts
Common Wiggler

Post by mtts » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 am

The book “Practical Electronics for Inventors” is also pretty good. It teaches you how electronic circuits work, in a fairly practical way (as you’d expect, given the title). There’s math but it’s fairly accessible and they show some basic circuits that illustrate how specific components can be put to use. It’s also fairly useful as a reference.

Get the paper edition as the ebook edition seems to have some transcription errors in the formulas.

jorg
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jorg » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:36 am

I agree with all the advice here.

I have many decades experience in software and hardware. My 2 cents is: You could start with analog modules; you won't have to dive into programming in that case.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”