Arduino Project(HAGIWO's Module)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

KenjiYamane
Learning to Wiggle

Arduino Project(HAGIWO's Module)

Post by KenjiYamane » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:46 am

Hello. I'm working on a project to convert the schematics of the wonderful Arduino Eurorack module project that HAGIWO is developing into PCBs.
I'd like to pay tribute to HAGIWO for providing me with the schematics for my CAD studies, and I'd like your feedback too!
Some are still in the process of being created, but please bear with me!

Thank You!

My Github

HAGIWOs Youtube Channel
HAGIWOs Blog(The code is on there.)

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Re: Arduino Project(HAGIWO's Module)

Post by Kelaifu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:00 am

I was considering doing this myself as a kinda teeth cutting exercise into PCB design, but I am glad someone else is doing it anyway as you'll definetly do a better job than I would.

You're gonna have to work fast to keep up with Hagiwo though, he's producing modules faster than I can cook Ramen.

KenjiYamane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KenjiYamane » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:23 am

Kelaifu wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:00 am
I was considering doing this myself as a kinda teeth cutting exercise into PCB design, but I am glad someone else is doing it anyway as you'll definetly do a better job than I would.

You're gonna have to work fast to keep up with Hagiwo though, he's producing modules faster than I can cook Ramen.
Thanks for looking!
I'll have to work on the panel's The Gerber file as well, and add more silks for components.
I'll keep committing day by day!

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:25 am

starred and followed on github, I see you're doing the sequencer first, with the little screen which is great as that should be a very popular module.

I've built a simple oscilloscope using a nano and a similar screen and it worked out very nicely using cheap chinese screens, you may be able to learn from how that one was laid out:
https://github.com/maasijam/eurorack/tr ... er/3u/osgo
(not my project btw)

Quinie
Common Wiggler

Post by Quinie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:57 am

I was considering doing this myself also. But would gladly help you if you run into problems, need help with the panel or just a tester.

My remarks are that I would sandwich two pcb one with all the controls (pots, switches, etc) and one as a the main board like you posted.
Then there would be no need for wiring the controls to the headers.

Some people will like that you put the resitors up straight cause this would enable a SMD variant. I myself would prefer them laying down but thats just me.

Maybe turn the arduino around cause now the USB seems to be very close to the standing resitors.
edit: but then the power header is in the way... anyway you get the point ;)

KenjiYamane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KenjiYamane » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 am

Thank you all for the feedback! It's very helpful!
You're right, it's far more beautiful to use PCB-mounted POTs and jacks as per eurorack theory, and put them all together on a control board!
But in Japan, where I live, Alpha's RK09 series POTs and Thonkiconn are hard to come by, and I am tired of searching all over the market for them...
I believe that this project exists as an extension of prototyping using generic components, as HAGIWO employs.
It may not be beautiful, but it should be accessible to everyone at a reasonable price...

Quinie
Common Wiggler

Post by Quinie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am

Ah right with that in mind I can understand why you choose to do it this way.

I can send you a link in pm for a aliexpress seller thonkyconns if that helps and pots should be able to find at Tayda.

Don't know if that helps or not as I don't live in Japan ;)

Perhaps you can do both. A second pcb for the pots and jack, placing the headers in a way people can choose to make the main pcb and use wires or use the controler pcb.

seismic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seismic » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am

i donno the hagiwo thing, but i once made a design for a arduino micro, nateively integrated as rackmountable pcb.
you'll need to flash the bootloader yourself of course.

https://github.com/seismicindustries/arduinoMICRACK

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:21 am

thonkiconns (WQP-WQP518MA) can be bought directly from the manufacturer in shenzhen for around 1RMB each.

As for the pots, I would agree with Quinie, board mounted ones are better, I am also in a situation where I cant source alpha 9mm, but cheapo knock off 9mm pots are plentiful and the same footprint.

emmaker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:40 pm

I agree with the other person that mentioned it.

Use SMD resistors instead of standing them on end or lay them down.

Standing them on end they can be get bumped and broken or short against something.

SphericalSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SphericalSound » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm

Lovely project

I dont understand why you use a lot of 1x2 female headers here:

As its easier to just use 2 longer ones. Easier to place, solder, etc

Other than that, cool project

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:00 pm

SphericalSound wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm
Lovely project

I dont understand why you use a lot of 1x2 female headers here:

As its easier to just use 2 longer ones. Easier to place, solder, etc

Other than that, cool project
This is a good point, and one that could make the modules more versatile. If you still dont want to go the 9mm alpha style pot route, you could make it optional by having all these points either interface with panel wired pots as in the original design, or interface with a secondary PCB for pots / jacks in a more modern stacked PCB design. That may not work with this particular module as it has a screen, but the others, it would give the best of both worlds.

Even if you don't wanna do the whole second controller pcb thing, instead of placing those female headers you could just use the alpha pot footprint. the 3 pins can easily accommodate a socket that could be used to connect panel mounted pots.

KenjiYamane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KenjiYamane » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 pm

Thank you all for your advice and follow up!
To begin with, this project is about learning CAD and PCB design for me, so I'd like to work on designing a stacked PCB, assuming I use AlphaPOT and Thonkiconn!

As for SMD components... I don't have much experience with SMD mounting to begin with... :roll:

Kelaifu
Common Wiggler

Post by Kelaifu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:43 am

KenjiYamane wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 pm
As for SMD components... I don't have much experience with SMD mounting to begin with... :roll:
I'm not sure you need to go SMD for this, but it'll certainly help. I was also very hesitant to try SMD but now, for the most part I prefer it. Have a look into using 0805 size as that's pretty manageable and it'll mean you can use both sides of the PCB much more efficiently.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”