Befaco Rampage: Successful Build Log

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Kunstbanause
Learning to Wiggle

Befaco Rampage: Successful Build Log

Post by Kunstbanause » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:00 am

Hey guys, I thought that I share my experience building the befaco rampage v1.4 as a beginner.

TLDR: ~15 hours building, 1 bridge to fix, ~4 holes soldered by mistake

@Befaco:
1. Your Website only has the 1.3.2 assembly Guide. So I had to rely on the printed one you put into the kit, but the ink is faded, so I had to assume some resistor codes
2. It really needs to mention to wait with the ferrite beads until the power connector is in!!!

I had never soldered before this build, so I took extra care and time and it actually worked!!! I had to fix a couple of my Mistakes, like accidentally soldering a pin hole shut 🤦🏽‍♂️ and a bridge/short on the power connector pins which are very tight! Overall it is a fun project and a true test of faith ;)

Video (Not calibrated yet):

the_laconic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Befaco Rampage: Successful Build Log

Post by the_laconic » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:18 am

I just finished mine last week. Biggest mistake I made was putting in the wrong size of resistors (I sourced my own parts, which I would not do again for this build). I must have soldered 20-30 of them, with them all sticking awkwardly off the PCB, before I realized I was using the wrong ones — I had ordered parts for four projects all at once. Good desoldering practice/penance. Otherwise I think I had a few iffy joints that were simple to fix.

Note that the two boards are quite a tight fit together, but if everything is where and what it should be, they will mesh together quite cleverly.

An intimidating module, but I can already tell it’s going to be a powerhouse.

Whelm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Whelm » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Befaco is tricky to source your own parts for. They're the only company I've seen that use the 1/8th W resistors and they use peculiar pots too if I recall.

Rampage is one of my favourite modules but I've never built any other Befaco stuff, in part because I tend to avoid kits and they use odd parts.

Nice work Kunstbanause, that's a pretty ambitious first soldering project.

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:37 pm

I built my Rampage from a full kit, but I sourced parts for the Befaco A*B+C. If you're new to DIY and soldering, you might want to consider some full kits, because sourcing parts isn't simple. With any full kit, be sure to do a complete inventory of what comes with the kit before you dive in to the construction.

Here's my Rampage build post:

https://pugix.com/synth/befaco-rampage/
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

FS/US Erica Swamp, Pico Out, Sheep, Pithoprakta

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

mtts
Common Wiggler

Post by mtts » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 am

@OP : congratulations. Rampage is not an easy first build.

It's not hard per sé, but the boards are absolutely stuffed. It's very easy to accidentally solder a pin hole shut.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”