Post pics of your DIY setup!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Where do you shop?
My main surplus shop is Apex surplus electronics, in Sun Valley, CA.
Being in the heart (area) of former Military missile production companies, they got the surplus parts.

Ebay has similar NOS parts, but more expensive.
Also....their website seems to be in transition at the moment. But I found most of those parts by perusing their stock in-person..... hunting their shelves.
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

YashN
Common Wiggler

Post by YashN » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:11 pm

imcmahon wrote:speaking of hifi, here's a 2A3 single ended triode stereo amp that I built awhile back.
I made the case out of leftover bamboo flooring from a house project
Lovely!

I've built my won SET Tube Amp as well. Best sound I have (and many others who drop by for a visit) have heard.

I've also built several other parts of my audiophile setup.

BillLynes
Common Wiggler

Post by BillLynes » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 pm

The story so far......

BillLynes
Common Wiggler

Post by BillLynes » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 pm

My work space complete with furry mascot.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:13 pm

BillLynes wrote:My work space complete with furry mascot.
THE essential detail!
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

BillLynes
Common Wiggler

Post by BillLynes » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 pm

There are actually two of them. They take turns on walking across my desk. As yet they haven't had their fur singed by the hot air station or the soldering iron. :flamey:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:01 am

BillLynes wrote:There are actually two of them. They take turns on walking across my desk. As yet they haven't had their fur singed by the hot air station or the soldering iron. :flamey:
We have 3. The oldest is totally deaf (her eardrums blew out during a severe sinus infection about 3 years ago). Her name is Peep, and since she can't hear a thing she's always knocking stuff over ... she's never startled like most cats by any noise from knocking things over or off tables and shelves .. from her point of view nothing of consequence happened and life is all good and calm. She sleeps like a stone too. All 3 are rescued and tamed feral cats. "Bunny" is as big as a medium sized dog, we call her the Monster Truck cat, she actually ~hops~ like a rabbit. CooCoo is a tiny tuxedo with polydactyl feet (aka "Hemingway Cat") and fast as a bolt of black lightning , she's about 5 years old now, she just never really grew up. All 3 are indoor only cats. It's like living with 3 hippies that are on never ending acid trips.
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 am

Not a picture of the whole new workspace room but decided to finally get some proper measurement gear for a change:

Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:30 am

Wow, your 'scope is even more (as in, roughly 25 years) vintage than mine :lol: :

... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 am

Bodo1967 wrote:Wow, your 'scope is even more (as in, roughly 25 years) vintage than mine :lol:
Yeah! I used to have a donor late '80s (?) Hung Chang scope for years, then gave it away to another friend in need. Couple of years later bought an Analog Discovery 2 that hooks up to computer and is cool for all kinds of slightly more involved measurements (despite specs being inferior to standalone units)... but it's a PITA to turn on and adjust for quick measurements and for just briefly looking what happens in the circuit under construction.

Hence a new "decorative" scope that happens to be one of the best analogue ones I've used anyway (haven't used many).

(The multimeter is a similar story, the handheld meter I have has enough accuracy and precision for my needs and all the modes I want, but having a proper stackable unit with a bright VFD makes it _a lot_ easier to use in my environment, and better specifications don't hurt...)
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

prae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by prae » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 am

this is me... in a larder off the kitchen. in this weather, and with the construction of my house, it's fcuking freezing! [/img]
:doepfer:

Faustgeist
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Faustgeist » Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am

BillLynes wrote:My work space complete with furry mascot.

Looking good! cool science/inventors poster :)
Trying to build up my 5U/COTK/MOTM and MODCAN B, send me a message if you are selling gear and thanks!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:35 pm

prae wrote:Image

this is me... in a larder off the kitchen. in this weather, and with the construction of my house, it's fcuking freezing! [/img]
In March? Wow .. I'm spoiled by our pleasant "winters" here ... we were seeing lows of about 85f degrees in March .... it's going to hit 115f today in my area.

The single most telling thing in this image (above) is the ~safety chain~ attached to the parts drawers. I gotta wonder how many times it toppled over from pulling out a drawer before the chain was installed!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hautlle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hautlle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 am

My (mostly) DIY setup. Everything but the MPK, Octatrack, + mixer I built myself -- Sonic Potions LXR, 2x MI Shruthi, Bastl Kastle, Gechologic Loopsynth + 6U x 104hp of eurorack

I have more modules to build but need to scrape the $$ together to add a third row + buy all the components for the PCB/panels I have sitting in my closet.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 am

hautlle wrote:Image

My (mostly) DIY setup. Everything but the MPK, Octatrack, + mixer I built myself -- Sonic Potions LXR, 2x MI Shruthi, Bastl Kastle, Gechologic Loopsynth + 6U x 104hp of eurorack

I have more modules to build but need to scrape the $$ together to add a third row + buy all the components for the PCB/panels I have sitting in my closet.
Damn !! You did a great job building that laptop and them speakers! :lol:

Good job on the other stuff. :tu:

Now you need to work on putting together a real linear power supply. After you design the power distribution system (~ahem~ ... cough .. bus bars cough cough) and build a solid power supply (cough linear cough cough) then and only then may you move forward and design/fabricate a cabinet around the power system. Cardinal rule, this; design/fab power system first, then design/fab cabinet around the power system.

That concludes this morning's lecture.

:tu:

medbot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by medbot » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm

nvm :deadbanana:

GroundGrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GroundGrown » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm

My DIY wood panel setup. Several MFOS boards, some MOTM VCOs, some Thomas White Resonant LPGs, with a bit of CGS, Barton, Fonitronik, and breadboards mixed in.

Dangerough
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dangerough » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:02 pm

xox <3 Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dangerough
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dangerough » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:04 pm

prototyping Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pinoaffe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pinoaffe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Here's some pics of my setup
Got about 200 of these plastic boxes for 25 bucks a while ago, really handy.
They were used by some electronics company, and some are still (wrongly) labeled.
the lasercut wooden thingy is an encased NANDbender, a kit I co-designed for a workshop a while ago.

McMij
Learning to Wiggle

Post by McMij » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:30 am

Everyone has got to start somewhere, and this is my desk/workspace I've built over the past few days. I can't wait to get building:

Yander
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Mine, just starting off!

balbibou
Common Wiggler

Post by balbibou » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:29 am

a lbit of reorganization this morning ...I added a wooden tablet painted black on the desk with 3 ikea tubular stands. Image

Currently i'm working on the ASV synth voice and MidiDAC interface, a 4ms phaseur fleur stripboard and a tiny passive real ring modulator from Ken Stone...
Panels are made from 3mm aluminium dibond in 25 % darker RGB army green color if I remember well

EDIT :
a new addition today...

Last edited by balbibou on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:37 am

balbibou wrote:... tiny passive real ring modulator from Ken Stone ...
Those work great. They take well to certain modifications as well.

keinhen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by keinhen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:06 pm

Image[/img]

My current setup!

Starting to figure things out, but gonna put a couple of these into a standalone groovebox case and start adding in modules with a more rigorous quality standard from here on out.

Have the I / O of my utility strip at top, a few panels for drums, one module with three monotrons stuffed in and a passive LPG/VCA strip, and a little tube distortion / chaotic oscillator at the bottom.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”