Post pics of your DIY setup!

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

erocfx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erocfx » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:41 pm

[quote="sduck"]I thought we had already done this, but I guess not! This is a few months old...

That looks amazing!!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 pm

Meh ... may as well post my "Pit Of Despair" .....

Sign out in our front yard. We're the oddballs in our neighborhood ... so about fifteen years ago I had this sign made up and it's been in our front yard all this time, surviving many many summers and direct Sunlight in this Sonoran Desert heat. When I had it made, I reckoned it would "live" no more than three or so years.

(below) The Wrecking Yard ... I shot these when my synth tables were at their worst, in the midst of a major refit. It looks a bit more organized today.

This is where I do the majority of my drilling. I sit on that little yellow stool and use the green drill press. It's a 25 year old Harbor Freight clunker. The grey one is about 50 years old and runs like a well tuned watch. That green one rattles and clanks, but I would bet that I drilled well over 500 stomp box enclosures on that thing between 2007 and 2016. I drilled all of my bus bars on it as well. I think I should name it "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".

The mill and the lathe. Sometimes they get used quite a bit ... other times they sit unused for a number of months (even a year) at a time. But I'd never get rid of either ... they've proven to be indispensable at times and I don't know what I would have done had I not had them.

The work bench. For while there, between around 2015 and 2017, I was on these totally fuddup medications issued to me by the fuddup V.A. (Veteran's Administration). Those meds made it so my eyesight was pretty much useless for doing any detail work or soldering. I tried so many different methods of magnification and lighting. Today, I am on far fewer meds (FAR FAR fewer) and I can actually see well enough to do DIY on synths and stompboxes again!!

So this is where most of the magic happens. The black mat that appears to be some sort of ~rubber~ is actually a semi-truck mudflap. I have about four or five of these from when I owned and operated our industrial power equipment repair shop for fifteen years. Each tech's bench had one of those mats on their workbench to protect customers' equipment and those things are also dielectric ... I don't know what they'd resist but I know for a fact they're good for at least 1KV AC and 750vdc per inch (don't ask). Those mudflaps were on the tractors and trailers we owned in our family business between 1981 and 1999 (a welding equipment supply business).

I hope you have enjoyed the tour. :lol:

Clicking ~submit~ ....

:cookiemonster:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks so much for the tour Rex :yay:

I always enjoy seeing how others lay out their workshops. It gives me great ideas and yours is no exception!

Thanks again :tu:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Hiya!

Very inspiring setups and builds around here :party:

Unfortunately today i hurt my knee pretty badly, so im going to spend less time soldering and more time laying on the sofa.

Here are some pics of my workbench:

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:48 pm

I love your setup! It's an optical delusion (and very well organized :tu: )
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Yodhan
Common Wiggler

Post by Yodhan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Reorganized the synth corner of the music room in the house (my wife plays music too, so I have to share the space)

My rig: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/376480
Behringer Neutron, Behringer Model D, Arturia Microbrute
Tascam 424mkii
Reason for effects and recording

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

ImageImage

chuckg
Common Wiggler

Post by chuckg » Fri May 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Not my whole setup (which is in little bits all over the place), but I scored this little gem today for quite a bit less than I expected to pay.

….working on it.

XPump
Common Wiggler

3-tiered rolling stand

Post by XPump » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:33 am

Built a 3-tiered rolling stand from parts of a old wooden boot rack ( where the RolandTr8s sits ) , which supports the upper molded plastic module tray picked up at Knobcon (where Polyend sits) and a adjustable bottom for the Beatstep
I was about to put this old rolling office furniture table out on the curb for free when I noticed the top came off..... 8-)

another view

Pic of my setup from a few months ago
agoImage

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Holy man XPump, thats an absolute monster of a setup you have going.

This is my humble messy little workstation, I've got some modules pumped into a small rack, but mainly for testing. My other racks are elsewhere:

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:47 pm

@XPump - Excellent bit of repurposing there :yay: Very well done!

Your setup looks fantastic. It's extremely space efficient!. Thanks for sharing :tu:
Rich

Jfettig
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jfettig » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:51 pm

This thread is a scary window into my future. I like it, but also... where does it end?

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Jfettig wrote:This thread is a scary window into my future. I like it, but also... where does it end?
Well, once you've had to get rid of your bed and start sleeping on the kitchen floor in order to make room for all the parts and test equipment and broken gear, you might....

...want to start thinking about ....

putting some more in the bathtub!

devinw1
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by devinw1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Good lord Xpump! That is intense! :yay: :hail:

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:18 am

Had a chance to finish some CNC work while working on a video piece from the video synth the other day.

kassu
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kassu » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:21 am

My little workshop-in-a-wardrobe:

It's quite minimalistic, but contains just about enough to work. The lower desk slides in, so I can just close the doors and leave projects on in any state when I want to do other stuff.

Currently working on the final bits of my Quantizer, it's almost done!
Synth DIY blog and circuits: http://kassu2000.blogspot.fi/

DEEMARKAY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:30 am

very cool with the hide-away-workshop kassu!

I tried to disguise my setup when it was in my apartment as well - until I couldn't any more.
Now I have a studio / workshop with an electronics corner.

Also an idea for parts storage:
These are A4 format cardboard boxes - i guess for the seperators one could use anything - it was just what I had on hand.

DEEMARKAY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:37 am

Former Living room setup 1.5 years ago

Setup now :roll:

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:48 am

DEEMARKAY wrote: Setup now :roll:
cool setup with the amiga 1200 and tape machine. are you using the amiga for sequencing?

DEEMARKAY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:57 am

Yes, I was going to. I decked out the Amiga (600) and got some tracker software to work with it, but I thing I need a midi interface for sequencing other gear (?).
The amiga, the tape machine and the big keyboard synth (Yamaha SY35) came to me in a very short timespan as presents and I haven't had the time setting it up properly. The picture was taken literally just after i hooked everything up together for the first time around two weeks ago.

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:14 am

DEEMARKAY wrote:Yes, I was going to. I decked out the Amiga (600) and got some tracker software to work with it, but I thing I need a midi interface for sequencing other gear (?).
The amiga, the tape machine and the big keyboard synth (Yamaha SY35) came to me in a very short timespan as presents and I haven't had the time setting it up properly. The picture was taken literally just after i hooked everything up together for the first time around two weeks ago.
yes, you'll need a MIDI interface. that's probably one of the main reasons Ataris with their built-in MIDI ports were/are so popular as sequencers...

btw: Legowelt uses Amigas with Octamed https://awolfe.home.xs4all.nl/studioamiga.htm

DEEMARKAY
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 am

yes, you'll need a MIDI interface. that's probably one of the main reasons ataris with their built-in MIDI ports were/are so popular as sequencers...
It'll be a whole new world -
Also yesterday played the modular via the yamaha and yarns for the first time - weird experience after only having a 4 step sequencer for the longest time :)

brycecake
Common Wiggler

Post by brycecake » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:44 pm

kassu
Wow I love that setup. Great idea! Any details on the wardrobe? Where'd ya get it??

kassu
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kassu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:23 am

brycecake wrote: Wow I love that setup. Great idea! Any details on the wardrobe? Where'd ya get it??
It's an Ikea PAX wardrobe, but anything could work. I re-used the sliding elements from a drawer, and cut a left over shelve to size to fit on those sliders. The smaller shelves are just wood cut to length.
Synth DIY blog and circuits: http://kassu2000.blogspot.fi/

joeTron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeTron » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:13 am

I couldn't get used to the flat square case so I built this creature out of 1/4 inch ply.
It's beautiful...from far way. I love the new ergonomics and I saved a FORTUNE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”